Husqvarna 346-353 bar oil leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonil76

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm having problems with my 3XX:s leaking bar oil.

Tried fix shown

No help.

I would like to know if any of you have ever inspecting the issue. Seem to be common problem.

Saws have some kind of breather in oil tank:

5370403-01.jpg

I wonder could it be reason to leak. If it is some kind of valve which gets glocked and causes over pressure or leak itself.

I haven't taken it out of saw yet to closer inspect.

Didn't watch the video as I'm on data now, but have you ever tried to loosen the cap when done running the saw and then tightening it back down?

My husqvarna 450 will leak the whole tank out if I don't do that. Break the vacuum by opening the cap and all is well.

over pressure is unlikely on the 46. Most of these i do have bad seals in case. Check your outlet on main hose. Take down and inspect the oiler as well. They are bad to leak.

I haven't try to open cap. But saws seem to leak even after long store. Not only after use.

Oil seem to leak from side not from below saw so I don't think it is from case seal.

I did remove oil pump and pickup line. Cleaned both properly and put Hylomar Universal Blue M between pump and line and between line and case hole. (As instructer Youtube video)

Pickup line seemed to be fine.

I have 350, 346XPG anfd 353. All leaks similarly. Could be structural fault but I'm still willing to believe there is always way to improve.

i've seen those pickup/output lines crack around the pump area and leak, the pickup tube slides over the pump end and when pump is tightened it seals the pickup. also, because the pump is putting pressure in the rubber line against the tank; it has a loose fit on the side it's not putting pressure on which can also be a source of a leak. i've ****ed with them alot in the past, i just replace the pickup line and be done with it at this point unless the one in there was in like new shape. 346 saws are nice to run but i don't know anyone who is a fan of their impulse setup. the oiler setup to me is a ****** design as well as they will all leak eventually. ever single one i owned leaked but all they needed was the pickup/output hose. how often they need that i don't know because they don't stick around long enough here. i just know that when they come in here they leak more often then not.

I can't see any fault in oiler line

line.jpg

line2.jpg

Looks just fine to me. Feels soft and elastic.

Line is propably quite cheap and would be possible idea just buy new and test.

On another thread
spike60 said there was an updated hose for these, or it might of been the 357?. I have a bunch of these and only one 357 leaks.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

NE 346 seem to have same oil hose than newer 357. And different oil tank breather. But I don't know if they fit to OE.

I put 3/8 chain on my 353 and I get alot chips stuck on sides inside buy the clutch and the chips hold the oil until I leave it sit and all drips on floor. I never noticed this when .325 chain was on it .
But I never to check what my oiler set at might be on high.
Woodblocker55

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

I think I can verify now that repair mentioned posted video is working. Three weeks have passed and both fixed saws (346XPG oe and 353) haven't leak since.

I used Hylomar Universal Blue M.

1.jpg

Thin layer between pump and pick up line and thick layer between case and pick up.

2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg

After fix both saws have been stored in garage where temperature varies lot. -5 to 20 degreed celsius during this period. No leaks, no drops. Seem fixed problem.

Thanks guys!

I was cleaning up a Jonsered 2152 for a friend and it was leaking lots of oil. I followed the directions above, and hopefully, now it's fixed.

The saw had the same oil pump/hose design, except for having the 'dreaded', newer, 2-part hose referred to in the video.

This thread was very helpful.

Philbert

Huskies don't leak they mark their territory!!

Lol.

Seriously though it's kind of annoying. Pretty sure the bed of my truck will never rust with all the bar oil that's leaked. I need to try this method.

I think I have this problem with my 362xp/372 top end..... Although the oil pick up is different and all. Still think it is leaking between the pump and the pick up rubber... Taken it apart and all looks new and non split.. Think I will try this Hylomar stuff :)

I went to my local auto parts store, and looked at the different types of Permatex brand sealant that they had.

The 'Ultra Black' tube said 'maximum oil resistance', so I went with that, even though the counter sales guy said that the only difference between that, and the blue Permatex stuff, was color.

Have not tried mine.

Philbert

I think this Hylomar is special. It is non-setting, it not glue parts together and makes them easy to take apart later.

But other sealants most likely do the job too.

Proper cleaning for contact points is important. Nothing sticks to oily surface.

I think this Hylomar is special. It is non-setting, it not glue parts together and makes them easy to take apart later.

But other sealants most likely do the job too.

Proper cleaning for contact points is important. Nothing sticks to oily surface.
I was not familiar with the Hylomar name, and assumed it was a European brand. Their website shows that it is available in the US, but does not seem to be as common here as the Permatex brand.

http://hylomar.com/

The 'non-setting' part is interesting, as I may have 'glued' my oiler parts together! Not a big deal, as it can be scraped off the metal oil pump, and if the rubber parts were leaking anyway . . . .

Philbert

Latest posts

Back