Stihl MS261 leaking bar oil from oil adjustment screw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amin_1992

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, hoping you guys have seen something like this before? Noticed the past week that my Stihl MS261 is leaking a ton of bar oil from the oil adjustment screw on the bottom. Cleaned it up, let it sit on a fresh piece of cardboard, and it leaked again with a few hours, and again dripping from that adjustment screw. It's the screw on the bottom of the chainsaw, shown here in this chart:

Any ideas here? I know Stihls leak but this seems wrong. I appreciate your input.

Attachments

• stihl.jpg
    stihl.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 3
Hey guys, hoping you guys have seen something like this before? Noticed the past week that my Stihl MS261 is leaking a ton of bar oil from the oil adjustment screw on the bottom. Cleaned it up, let it sit on a fresh piece of cardboard, and it leaked again with a few hours, and again dripping from that adjustment screw. It's the screw on the bottom of the chainsaw, shown here in this chart:

Any ideas here? I know Stihls leak but this seems wrong. I appreciate your input.

Not up to speed on 261s but, oil pump, or if it has a hose like the 026/260 the hose.

The pump adjuster screw likely has two o-rings. Other wear items are worm, pump housing/piston. Also pump screws could be loose.

Might have to pull the clutch to take a good look. Clutch is left hand threaded.

Do you have an IPL/shop manual? Go to beg for manuals thread.

Thanks for the response buddy. I should have added that this saw is only 8 months old, so I assume it's under warranty still? Maybe I could take it to a shop?

Yes that should be fixed under warranty. Might want to run it and then put some newspapers under it. Take some pictures in case you have a bum dealer.

Yup, dealers here suck... have tried both within an hour and on my last saw they would charge me and just say they couldn't figure out the issue. Very annoying.

Out of curiosity do you know, is all work under warranty free 100%? Or is it one of those things where the parts are free but you pay labor? Because if that's the case I rather just buy the parts out of pocket and work on it myself!

I also have this faint memory of Pro saws only having a year warranty possibly? Do you know about this? Anywhere I can check?

Yup, dealers here suck... have tried both within an hour and on my last saw they would charge me and just say they couldn't figure out the issue. Very annoying.

Out of curiosity do you know, is all work under warranty free 100%? Or is it one of those things where the parts are free but you pay labor? Because if that's the case I rather just buy the parts out of pocket and work on it myself!

I also have this faint memory of Pro saws only having a year warranty possibly? Do you know about this? Anywhere I can check?

Only brought one new Stihl from a Steal dealer. That was > 20 years ago.

Other here will know.
As I recall, I believe a 1-year warranty on any new Stihl saw bought for residential use is about all the time that there is. Less time for professional use -- usually about 90 days. Not sure if that's the same today.

I remember when Stihls had lifetime coil warranty to original owner

That shouldnt be difficult to fix. Ive just stripped the oil pump on my MS460 because of lack of oil. Remove sprocket, clutch, worm gear and oil pump. You’ll see the adjustment screw on the oil pump. You need to tap through a pin to remove the adjustment screw (file a small nail flat to make the right punch). Then clean everything and reassemble. Maybe its just a blockage or the o rings need replacing. If this sounds too difficult, just buy a totally new oil pump, £100 here in the UK.

Good luck.

Chainsaws leak oil! Not trying to be a smart ass but that is a fact of life. My dealer, who I think is ok, won’t fix oil leaks even if you offer to pay “unless the saw leaks out a tank of oil in 24 hours”. OTOH, if you are going to own a chainsaw you need to learn to work on the clutch/oil pump assy yourself as they are a common trouble area - and they are almost identical on all the saws I have ever worked on. Go to YouTube and find a video on replacing the oil pump on ms261. It is easy to do, the hardest part is just removing the clutch. I really doubt the pump needs to be replaced or rebuilt (also easy to do). The oil is just seeping to the low point from somewhere else. Be advised trying to fix oil leaks can be very frustrating.

Chainsaws leak oil! Not trying to be a smart ass but that is a fact of life. My dealer, who I think is ok, won’t fix oil leaks even if you offer to pay “unless the saw leaks out a tank of oil in 24 hours”. OTOH, if you are going to own a chainsaw you need to learn to work on the clutch/oil pump assy yourself as they are a common trouble area - and they are almost identical on all the saws I have ever worked on. Go to YouTube and find a video on replacing the oil pump on ms261. It is easy to do, the hardest part is just removing the clutch. I really doubt the pump needs to be replaced or rebuilt (also easy to do). The oil is just seeping to the low point from somewhere else. Be advised trying to fix oil leaks can be very frustrating.
Or turn the saw sideways so it stops leaking.

Latest posts

Back