Husqvarna 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalli445

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Ya'll!
I just thought I'd share my new purchase. I just purchased a husky 350 with a 20" bar, two chains, case and manuals for $260. The saw was slighty used. Only wear is on the bar. I've read nothing but good things about this saw so I'm hoping it treats me good. I don't do much cutting but I wanted something fairly decent for when I go camping to cut up firewood. Can anyone recommend something that I can do to it to make it cut a little faster? I have friends with a stihl but I think they're a little smaller in the engine department. I was thinking about getting a more aggressive chain or trying out the muffler mod. I don't want to mess anything up though. Any links to products that are recommended would be great. Thanks a lot!! :popcorn:

I would get a shorter bar, they came form the factory with 18" so I would see about getting that or even a 16". That alone will reduce the drag and speed things up for you. If this is just for camping the shorter bar will make it easier to pack with all of your other gear. Also when you are out camping you don't want to make to much noise so I wouldn't do the muffler mod.

Don't change the bar. There's not much more drag in an extra 1"-2" of bar. You bought the saw because it was a deal, right? Just don't expect to bury it and have much power.

Get yourself some non-safety chain. I prefer Stihl RSC. It won't have the safety humps between the cutters, only the depth guage.

Before you mod the muffler, make sure you have an adjustable carb. You need to look for a screw with a H beside it. Many carbs only have a L screw and the high speed cannot be adjusted. If you mod the muffler and don't adjust the carb, you might run lean and burn up the piston.

a 350 will be happiest wearing a 16" bar (you will certainly notice a speed increase over a 20").

I like a longer bar...

I dont have to rely on speed cause I'm not a logger...I like a longer bar to cut bigger wood,,and not havin to bend over as much to do trim work on the ground,,but thats just me...I like my ms210 for the over belt stuff,,but a bigger bar on my 440 for stuff on the ground...I enjoy the most of firing the old pro mac700 up for stuff on the ground too,,it might not be fast but sure the heck wakes the neighbors far away up...LOL!!!

Hey Ya'll!
I was thinking about getting a more aggressive chain or trying out the muffler mod. Thanks a lot!! :popcorn:

Welcome to AS!

You have purchased a very capable chainsaw. My 350 is wearing a 16" bar with Baileys 20NK chain. My chain review here: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=69172

What ever chain you decide to run, keep it sharp - this means reading the various threads here about sharpening and learning how to do it yourself with a hand file and/or filing jig. It makes a world of difference over a dulled chain!

Enjoy your saw!
:clap:

a 350 will be happiest wearing a 16" bar (you will certainly notice a speed increase over a 20").

They come standard with a 13" bar here, 15" or 16" is what I would want - 20" is a joke....:censored:

...and stay with .325 Narrow Kerf/pixel.

Last edited:
I agree with Troll when it comes to bar length (as usual). Don't exceed 15" with a 350. 16 maybe but not I would never put on a 18. It won't make your saw justice. Great saw for the money btw.

20" is big for a 350 (near the limits of the machine). You can get a 16" bar and chain for 40 dollars and use the 20" when needed.

Thanks for all the replies! After reading your responses I think I may just leave the muffler mod alone. I don't want to take a chance on ruining the saw or having it run worse then stock. I'm thinking since I already have the 20" bar and two chains I'll buy a 16" bar with a new chain. I've read that the husqvarna bars will work fine with a NK chain. Does everyone agree on that or should I look into a bar specifically made for a NK chain? I don't know much about chainsaws so this forum has been great. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction for a 16" bar and an aggressive chain? I'd like to have a bar that has the ball bearing tip or nose. Not the hard nose. At least I think thats what you guys call it.

If you plan on cutting a lot think about getting a bar with a replaceable tip. Oregon makes a good resonably priced bar. Give Bailey's a call they are a Site sponsor and can give you a great deal on a bar/chain shipped to your door quickly. I use Oregon 3/8" lgx chain or Stihl RSC chain. The Stihl chain costs more but lasts a bit longer. You could run .325 chain on your saw but it will work fine with 3/8" chain you need to match your bar and drive sprocket to the chain you are using. example 16" bar .050 gauge (width of the groove on the bar must be the same gauge as the chain) and 3/8" is the size of the chain needed for that bar and a drive sprocket must match the type of chain. If you have a good saw shop nearby you can bring in the saw and they most likely have bar/chain combos that can bolt right on to your saw just make sure your sprocket is matched to the chain.

I agree with Troll when it comes to bar length (as usual). Don't exceed 15" with a 350. 16 maybe but not I would never put on a 18. It won't make your saw justice. Great saw for the money btw.

LOL - the difference between the 15" and 16" .325 Husky bars are only 2 dl, about .650" - doesn't matter at all.

:cheers:

....I'm thinking since I already have the 20" bar and two chains I'll buy a 16" bar with a new chain. I've read that the husqvarna bars will work fine with a NK chain. Does everyone agree on that or should I look into a bar specifically made for a NK chain? I don't know much about chainsaws so this forum has been great. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction for a 16" bar and an aggressive chain? I'd like to have a bar that has the ball bearing tip or nose. Not the hard nose. At least I think thats what you guys call it.

Very good idea!

- and use NK/Pixel bars for NK chain - Husky and Oregon make decent ones (many Husky bars are rebadged Oregons, but far from all).

....I'm thinking since I already have the 20" bar and two chains I'll buy a 16" bar with a new chain. I've read that the husqvarna bars will work fine with a NK chain. Does everyone agree on that or should I look into a bar specifically made for a NK chain? I don't know much about chainsaws so this forum has been great. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction for a 16" bar and an aggressive chain? I'd like to have a bar that has the ball bearing tip or nose. Not the hard nose. At least I think thats what you guys call it.

Very good idea, use the 20" only when really needed!

- and use NK/Pixel bars for NK chain - Husky and Oregon make decent ones (many Husky bars are rebadged Oregons, but far from all).

Read this tread.....

. I've read that the husqvarna bars will work fine with a NK chain. Does everyone agree on that or should I look into a bar specifically made for a NK chain? I don't know much about chainsaws so this forum has been great. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction for a 16" bar and an aggressive chain? I'd like to have a bar that has the ball bearing tip or nose. Not the hard nose. At least I think thats what you guys call it.

I changed bars to a 16" form the 18 that came on my saw. I bought a Husky bar from a local store and added the 20NK .325/.050 chain with 66 drive links from Baileys. If you contact Baileys they will be able to set you up with both bar and chain. One telephone call is all you will need as they are very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Happy cutting!
:clap:

Last edited:
Back