New to me Husqvarna 55R and 350.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few things to share that might be helpful.

I was given a pair of Husqvarna 350 chainsaws a few months ago from a kind relative. Both of these saws were used at family cabins and were marginally/non running projects. My tinkering was inspired by the folks in this forum and the consideration that if something catastrophically broke during my maintenance the financial loss would be minimal. I am not a professional repair guy but can turn wrench and hope some of my experience might be helpful for you.

Initially, the first saw had 90psi compression, only 3 of 4 4mm hex head bolts securing the cylinder to the base block and only 1 of these small bolts was tight. This saw did not run.

Upon teardown I found a dished piston, no scoring in the cylinder and a good crosshatch pattern. The squish with the dished piston was about .060 measured with solder. I decided to install meteor piston and use moto seal instead of a base gasket. I did not hone the OE 45L cylinder. I did not remove the base block.

The results were solid.

View attachment 1133217

View attachment 1133218

The ring end gap was about .007.

Squish was about .024 with the Meteor piston and motoseal.

Compression after 4-6 tanks of fuel is about 152 psi.

The OE carburetor remained good. After clipping the ears from the white and red plastic limiters it tuned nicely. It is a very good running saw a solid performer.

Initially the second saw had 100psi compression, and a profoundly clogged air filter. This saw would start but had no power.

Upon teardown I found the same dished piston, no scoring in the cylinder and a good crosshatch pattern. The squish was about .060 with the dished piston. I again installed a dished piston, used motoseal instead of a base gasket. I did not hone the OE 45L cylinder. This time I removed the base block after measurement and had a friend deck the block on his old Bridgeport Mill. I used motoseal between the plastic case and the original seals.

The results were mostly solid.

View attachment 1133219

View attachment 1133220

The ring end gap was again .007.

Squish was slightly narrow at .015 with the shaved block, Meteor piston and motoseal.

Compression after 3-5 tanks of fuel is about 175psi .

The OE carburetor was not good – clogged somewhere. Turning the High mixture screw counterclockwise failed to keep no load RPM below 13000. I replaced the carburetor with a cheaper aftermarket carb from H & L Supply. This worked dandy. Oh, also, I corked the primer bulb for the new carburetor because it is the older style and didn’t accommodate the primer bulb.

Regarding both saws I learned…..

The muffler screws and cylinder base screws WILL loosen when heat cycling the saw. I recommend Loctite 222 Medium strength, high temp, AND carrying a 4mm T-handle hex drive. Check the bolts after the first 3 heat cycles, then after the first 3 tanks of gas, then after the first 3 days of use/sharpenings. My bolts are stable on 1 of the saws, but a couple bolts still moved slightly on the other saw.

There really isn’t much/any difference in noticeable performance between 152 psi and 175 psi. So, I don’t recommend removing the base block for the extra procedure.

I didn’t port either of these saws or their mufflers. I purchased an aftermarket muffler, and the exit orifice diameter was identical to the factory muffler.

The Proline Solo Tach is a gem. I tried 2 other well reviewed Amazon tachometers, but the readings were bouncy and inconsistent. The Amazon tachometers are in the garbage can. I initially set the no load rpm at 12,500, but both saws are now set at 13,000.

The parts from H & L supply have been good, reliable and accurate.

The clutches…. The clutch drums and bearings from Amazon were terribly sloppy – despite many good reviews. The Oregon clutch drum from H & L fit wonderfully. This probably doesn’t matter in use, but I like stuff to fit well.

The flywheels…. I broke the convex key nubbin off my flywheel because I ran the saw without the nut properly tight 18-22ft / lbs. This was dumb. The flywheel spun and ripped the aluminum nubbin off the flywheel. I learned the nubbin isn’t really necessary and did a visual alignment of the flywheel and crankshaft – adding maybe 5-10 degrees of advance. I torqued the flywheel and it held position – even when pulling the cord against 175psi compression.

I don’t know what the OE idle WAS, but I couldn’t really get the tuning good for a nice low rpm idle. Both saws idle at about 3800-4000 rpm. Maybe this is due to the higher compression.

Both saws are dandy performers. With a sharp chain and fairly low rakers, one of them pulled an 18” bar nicely through a 20” oak log a few days ago. The other saw has a 16” bar and I kinda prefer this.

Parts for the 350 have been darn available and are mostly the same across the 346xp, 353, and 350.

For you:

Regarding your fuel leak: It looks like your fuel line to the carburetor is completely disconnected at the tank via the picture above. Both of my saws have the adjacent white gas tank breathers removed. I suppose they are prone to get clogged. Both of my saws leak on their side after filling completely, but are otherwise fine.

Regarding cleaning: A dirty saw will cut just fine too, but, after a rough cleaning , placing the larger case parts in the dishwasher when your wife is away from home works great ! Be sure to clean the dishwasher filters afterward. And maybe run the dishwasher cycle again to remove any potentially bad smells :).

I apologize for any typing errors and hope some of this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Dave
0.015" is pretty tight, definitely wouldn't want any less.
Your 175PSI saw should out perform your 150PSI saw, especially with a timing advance. Are you sure you went the right way with your advance?
Regarding parts, 340, 345, & 350 are basically the same saw with the 350 having a riser block to accommodate a cylinder setup like the higher class (metal body) 353/346XP. 350 also has the adjustable oiler (& corresponding drive gear) of the 353/346XP.
It's common for bolts to loosen off on these, especially on the muffler. Loctite works well as you have found, fitting a modified 353/346XP muffler support also works well

So as not to upset @Bob Hedgecutter I should also point out the Jonsered 214x/215x are essentially the same saws & apart from some cosmetic differences are parts compatible in the same way.
Na the Jonsered ones are way better- mainly because of the colour scheme- but if you are lucky you can snag a fancy one with the JUBILEE year extra flash decals- thats worth another 0.5HP.

That and drop the X's- coz you have saws like the 2147, 2152 and 2153 that are WAY ahead of the 340-350 series.

Na the Jonsered ones are way better- mainly because of the colour scheme- but if you are lucky you can snag a fancy one with the JUBILEE year extra flash decals- thats worth another 0.5HP.

That and drop the X's- coz you have saws like the 2147, 2152 and 2153 that are WAY ahead of the 340-350 series.
I was deliberately non specific as @David Ellis originally referenced the parts interchangeability with the (Husky equivalent) 346 & 353. I probably should have excluded the 2156/2159 though

Quick update: Haven’t had a lot of time but got the 350 up and running. It’s a spunky little saw! The carb was not inserted into both of its rubber mounts, which was pulling the intake boot away from the cylinder and air leaking badly. Got the fuel line refitted and it fired up and runs nice.

I inspected the cylinder through the spark plug hole and it’s not terrible but I think the piston is smudged. It’s only making about 92psi. I was told this saw had some mileage on it, and with the (still) loose muffler and all I am not surprised at all.

Thanks for all of the advice with these saws - I really appreciate it. All great info to have as I work on these over the winter.
This is terrific progress.

My 350 saws had similar compression when they were given to me. They both had a dished piston, but good 45L labeled cylinders with no scuffing and some crosshatch too.

Congratulations again on the find and repair with the carburetor boot!!!

Since my above post I discovered that the aftermarket muffler from H&L supply produces more RPM and more power - despite the same size exit orifice as the oe muffler. I think maybe the screen was slightly restrictive, but didn't test this. This is the better muffler I am using:

https://www.hlsproparts.com/Husqvarna-340-345-346-350-353-muffler-p/h90351.htm

Back