Husqvarna 562xp vs 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up a 562XP. I've only got 2.5 tanks through it. It is the smoothest saw I've ever run and idles very well. I should get at least a couple tanks through it today. My Tech lite bar just came in, I have not picked it up yet.

PHP:

What does the mastermind mod on the 562 cost? I am thinking about running it stock until the warranty is up, then making the decision to mod it or not.

I purchased my 562 from a member on here. He bought the saw new and sent it to mastermind. I think Mastermind has info on his signature reguarding his prices.

I am looking at getting a new saw. I had it narrowed down to the Stihl MS362 or the Husky 562xp. Of those two, I decided on the 562xp. So I go to the local dealer and ask if they can order the saw, as they did not have it in stock. I had them write down a few prices w/ different bars on the 562xp. I also asked if they would write down the price of the 372xp they had sitting on the shelf @ $809 w/ 20" bar. When I said that the lady giving me the prices asked if I meant $859, as she was looking at the MSRP in her book. I said, no it says $809 on the tag. That said- would it be worth the extra $60 to stay out of the auto tune 562xp and get the extra 10cc in the 372xp? Thanks for the help!

I am thinking of buying a Norwood chainsaw sawmill. They recommend at least a 60 cc chainsaw, I would use either a 20 or 24" bar. Which Husky saw (562XP or 372XP) would be best for this type of operation? Or should I go with a Stihl (if so which one)
Thanks
Ncbrew

I am thinking of buying a Norwood chainsaw sawmill. They recommend at least a 60 cc chainsaw, I would use either a 20 or 24" bar. Which Husky saw (562XP or 372XP) would be best for this type of operation? Or should I go with a Stihl (if so which one)
Thanks
Ncbrew

If you're planning to do any milling, bigger is always better. I have seen many members say they have a 395xp (94cc) for milling because the high torque requirement and long run times are hard on a saw. It wears out an engine if it can't take that kind of abuse, and a 562xp would be at its limit whereas a 390xp might break a sweat but would still be strong.
If it were between a 372xp (71cc) and a 562xp (60cc) for any kind of milling work, the 372xp would be better. The 372xp has more torque and could better oil a 24" bar.

With a Granberg-style mill, a 24" bar only can mill logs about 18" in diameter. I am not familiar with Norwood mills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
Ncbrew

Definitely not the 562 for milling. 372 definitely has an advantage there, although still not an ideal saw to mill with. I'd look at a 390 or 395xp to run on a mill (I have a 395 I mill with) I would not want to use my 70cc saws unless I was milling small softwoods.
Displacement is king when talking chainsaw milling.

On the Stihl side of things, 441 (Mtronic) smallest I'd go. 661 would be a lot better though.
20-24" bar doesn't sound like you're gonna be milling monster logs so the big boys (3120, ms880) probably don't need to be considered.

Your options are opened up a bit in my opinion for saw mill requirements. Saw mills kill saws, so grabbing a couple cheap oldies isn't a bad idea. I agree with going bigger in size so the saw doesn't work so hard. A buddy of mine seized his 372xt the other day while milling 14" softwood, so that should give an idea.
Those old McCulloch and Homelite saws show up for sale all the time at 80cc and up for around $150 a pop.
If you make a living by milling then buy a brand new saw. If not then don't waste your money.

If you make a living milling, buy a bandsaw mill not a chainsaw mill :D
It's slow, hard on the equipment, and not particularly efficient. But for hobby/personal use, or specialized applications like extra long timbers, curved wood, extra wide slabs or very remote logs, it works.
Find yourself a used 066, 394/395xp so you have lots of OEM and AM parts available for when it breaks down. Then buy yourself a new 562xp for an all around saw!

Thanks to all who replyed. I have decided to go with a Norwood Band sawmill an LM29 14 HP Kohler. Cost is $4897 + shipping. The Chainsaw mill would be $1000 + a $1000 saw.

In regards to the OP question on which Husky to buy.... I would be all over one of these for what he is doing...... Brand new and ported 562 by Wicked Work Saw for 975 bux.........Yahoooooo.....:chainsaw:
hus2.jpg

Back