Husqvarna branded chain ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnice_37

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought a second chain for my 346xp about 2 years back. Thing kept on binding up my 16" bar, so I tossed on the "old" one and there it has stayed. It's got plenty of life left and I hadn't revisited that chain.

I did today, and I found it measured .058 thus my problem... But I am having trouble ID'ing the thing to know what the hell I exactly ordered.

It is labelled Husq with a 25 on the cutter and a 23 on the driver link. Nothing shows up in my searches for the 23.

Help please! and thank you.

Is your chain chisel or semi chisel

I'm assuming .325?

Which chain has the 23 on the DL?

Last edited:
Is your chain chisel or semi chisel

I'm assuming .325?

Which chain has the 23 on the DL?

Semi Chisel by the looks, but I am far from a chain guru (as witnessed by me ordering the wrong chain. It is.325 and the "bad" chain shows the 23 and measures as .058. Good chain shows a 20 and measured .050.

If the '25' is on the the depth gauge, it might indicate the recommended depth gauge setting, and not the chain model.

Yep, the 25 is stamped on the depth gauge! Good call there.

H23 is 1.3mm or .050. Full chisel.

H25 is 1.5mm or .058.

Right, that's what I read, but are those related to the number stamped in the drive link, the piece that sits in the bar rail?

I will grab a picture tonight.

Really? Not to argue, but I swear the loop of husky 3/8 I have has 72 on the drivers. I may be wrong.

There is always the possibility of variation, as well as changes in markings over time. But STIHL, Oregon, Husqvarna, Carlton, etc. each have their own brand names and model numbers for their chains. Can make someone nuts - especially people who are new to this stuff.

Philbert

There is always the possibility of variation, as well as changes in markings over time. But STIHL, Oregon, Husqvarna, Carlton, etc. each have their own brand names and model numbers for their chains. Can make someone nuts - especially people who are new to this stuff.

Philbert

Stihl and Carlton manufacture their own chains, so yes that's understandable. But Husky uses Oregon chains with Husky branded sideplates (at least for the US market). In my experience, the markings on the drive links and cutters is standard Oregon.
I'm gonna have to run out and see what I can dig up and take a few pics.
Just trying to help, hope I'm not muddying up the waters.

In my experience, the markings on the drive links and cutters is standard Oregon.

Mine are different. E.g. .325, .050 narrow kerf: my Husqvarna chains are stamped '30' or 'S30' (their H30 chain) and my Oregon one is stamped '95' (their 95VP chain- also sold as 'G'x, where 'x' is the number of drive links in the loop).

Philbert

Stihl and Carlton manufacture their own chains, so yes that's understandable. But Husky uses Oregon chains with Husky branded sideplates (at least for the US market). In my experience, the markings on the drive links and cutters is standard Oregon.
I'm gonna have to run out and see what I can dig up and take a few pics.
Just trying to help, hope I'm not muddying up the waters.

You are right on, Husky chain is manifactured by Oregon.

Mine are different. E.g. .325, .050 narrow kerf: my Husqvarna chains are stamped '30' or 'S30' (their H30 chain) and my Oregon one is stamped '95' (their 95VP chain- also sold as 'G'x, where 'x' is the number of drive links in the loop).

Philbert

I'm gonna head to my local farm store and buy a .325 loop of husky chain ( I need a 2nd loop for the little poulan anyway) I bought my oregon chain a couple weeks ago from there. I'll take side by side pics of all markings, and if I'm wrong, I'll cook up a big 'ol humble pie and start digging in. :D

I'm gonna head to my local farm store and buy a .325 loop of husky chain ( I need a 2nd loop for the little poulan anyway) I bought my oregon chain a couple weeks ago from there. I'll take side by side pics of all markings, and if I'm wrong, I'll cook up a big 'ol humble pie and start digging in. :D

The Stihl dealer sells the Husky and Stihl chain with the Husky chain always being cheaper I asked why and he said the Husky chain is made by Oregon and is lower cost than the Stihl chain.

I remember this from someone else's post. A dime in the bar groove means it's a .050" chain size, an penny for .058", and a nickel is an .063". You folks in other lands will have to send me $10.00 for an American bar gauge sizer kit and I'll ship ya 16 cents. :laugh:

I'm gonna head to my local farm store and buy a .325 loop of husky chain . . . I'll cook up a big 'ol humble pie and start digging in. :D

No big deal. Oregon makes both and stamps 'Oregon' or 'Husqvana' on the tie straps. They probably make chain with other names on them too. They have a few different factories. It's possible that some Husqvarna batches have gone through with the Oregon drive links and markings.

People get confused by the trademarked names; 'Picco' = 'Mini' = low-profile; 'Mico' = 'Pixel' = 'MicroLite' = narrow kerf; etc. Manufacturers probably do this to keep customers from buying other brands. Easier if users focus on what the chains really are in generic terms.

Philbert

Last edited:
OK, here's what I found.. no pics and I'll explain why...
Seems Husky now runs 80DL for .325... so I didn't buy a chain I have no use for.
The pie is in the over and I'll be eating slice shortly.
I was wrong.... partially...
THe DL on the husky chain was stamped with 30.
The oregon was stamped with with 20.
So I was wrong there. Both were .325, both were .50.
However, the cutters on both were stamped with 25, I'm guessing it refers to the 25 degree sharpening angle, or the depth gauge setting.
so partially right, partially wrong... hmmm...
I'll take my abuse now, and offer my apologies for the argument....

NO.

Even though they are manufactured for Husqvarna, they use separate marking/coding/numbering systems.

Philbert

Really?
Not to argue, but I swear the loop of husky 3/8 I have has 72 on the drivers.
I may be wrong.

Philbert is right, simple as that! :givebeer:

The only number that is the same is the "25" (usually) on the rakers, as that simply is the recommended raker setting (.025"). I almost never has my rakers that high, but that's another story....

Back