Hutzel 660 or bbk for my 6421?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacklefty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ohh the proverbial question... hutzl 66o kit or a big bore kit and an hd filter for my 6421.

What would you guys do? They are both aftermarket and so both will possibly be flawed. I'm curious about both.

Btw... I've done some searching on both and actually want to do both. But have about $400.00 to work with. Just can't decide

Thanks guys,

The lefty

I've got less than 300 dollars into one of those huztl 660s. Honestly it kinda amazes me what they can do for so little money.
I wouldn't mess with your stock saw if it runs good. If it were me.

Do you have a use for a bigger saw. ?

Yeah I do. I help a friend of mine cut up his wood that he gets from work and process it for fire wood. I've got some trees that are 40" across at the base. I've been using myn6421 with a 24" bar but some of the wood is just too much for it.

Yeah I do. I help a friend of mine cut up his wood that he gets from work and process it for fire wood. I've got some trees that are 40" across at the base. I've been using myn6421 with a 24" bar but some of the wood is just too much for it.
This is a tough subject cause if you need to depend on the saw that's hard. I could go fire up the huztl 070. Or 660 and cut wood with it right now no problem.

The problem is how long it will last. I run 25:1 in the 660 and 20:1 in the 070 clones. The 070 clone I bought on huztl for 265 dollars shipped during the fathers day sale amazes me so much.
Just wow.
I bought a 42 inch bar. I need to spin up a chain and see what it will do. The 18 was almost unstoppable.

It's in all the threads but. As walt said. "These saws are a moving target"

That means you never know what you might get. One day you get perfect parts. The next day you get a box of junk.

I almost bought a real 090. I almost bought a 880 or a 088 084. And for some reason I own 4 china made saws vs one german made one.
I felt that was the better option. I don't know if it was.

But it seems like it is at this moment for me

That being said. My crank on my first 660 has casting imperfections. The cases had dings on the gasket surfaces. And the cylinder had bent fins. But I put it together anyway.

This is a tough subject cause if you need to depend on the saw that's hard. I could go fire up the huztl 070. Or 660 and cut wood with it right now no problem.

The problem is how long it will last. I run 25:1 in the 660 and 20:1 in the 070 clones. The 070 clone I bought on huztl for 265 dollars shipped during the fathers day sale amazes me so much.
Just wow.
I bought a 42 inch bar. I need to spin up a chain and see what it will do. The 18 was almost unstoppable.

It's in all the threads but. As walt said. "These saws are a moving target"

That means you never know what you might get. One day you get perfect parts. The next day you get a box of junk.

I almost bought a real 090. I almost bought a 880 or a 088 084. And for some reason I own 4 china made saws vs one german made one.
I felt that was the better option. I don't know if it was.

But it seems like it is at this moment for me

That being said. My crank on my first 660 has casting imperfections. The cases had dings on the gasket surfaces. And the cylinder had bent fins. But I put it together anyway.
Thanks sir! I've read your account of your 066 build and others in tha thread and remember you talking about theproblems at least twice. And the more I think about this topic the more I want to do this as an expiramemt for me and a few friends that have been thinking about small time milling. And if it doesn't turn out the way I want to it's going to ok for me at least. I've got 17+ years of auto technician under my belt and I'm confident that i could figure out a problem and correct any of thoes "moving target" issues short of broken parts. I believe I will do at least one of th 066/660 clones and maybe a few of the small ones for the inlaws and my parents.

Thanks for the input sir and he hope
This post makes sense. I just woke up from a night of drunken shenanigans with the misses.:

Thanks sir! I've read your account of your 066 build and others in tha thread and remember you talking about theproblems at least twice. And the more I think about this topic the more I want to do this as an expiramemt for me and a few friends that have been thinking about small time milling. And if it doesn't turn out the way I want to it's going to ok for me at least. I've got 17+ years of auto technician under my belt and I'm confident that i could figure out a problem and correct any of thoes "moving target" issues short of broken parts. I believe I will do at least one of th 066/660 clones and maybe a few of the small ones for the inlaws and my parents.

Thanks for the input sir and he hope
This post makes sense. I just woke up from a night of drunken shenanigans with the misses.:

I agree with you - you likely have the skills to overcome what problems there may be. I have built three kits (038, 044, 066) and each of them had issues. Some I could fix in my garage, some required new parts. But ALL were fixable, and now I have three saws I would have had if I would have had to pay Stihl retail for them.

Will they last? I don't know yet - probably not as long as an OEM Stihl. but initial reports of use are certainly encouraging. Like any saw - abuse them and they WILL fail. My biggest disappointment with all three I have built is the operation of the off/on/fast idle/choke lever. Pick up a real Stihl and see the difference yourself. The Chinese ones always feel (to me) like I could break them easily if I applied too much pressure.

The fun for me is in the challenge of building, so perhaps the challenge of repair will be equally fun (as long as I take a back-up saw into the woods when I go).

Just take them for what they are - an inexpensive knock-off. Not as good as a real Stihl saw, but probably better than any modern Poulan you'd own.

I agree with you - you likely have the skills to overcome what problems there may be. I have built three kits (038, 044, 066) and each of them had issues. Some I could fix in my garage, some required new parts. But ALL were fixable, and now I have three saws I would have had if I would have had to pay Stihl retail for them.

Will they last? I don't know yet - probably not as long as an OEM Stihl. but initial reports of use are certainly encouraging. Like any saw - abuse them and they WILL fail.

The fun for me is in the challenge of building, so perhaps the challenge of repair will be equally fun (as long as I take a back-up saw into the woods when I go).
The fun would be the challenge of building is as well. I'll take my 6421 into the woods with me as the reality check if I need it.

Latest posts

Back