Huztl FarmerTec MS380, MS381, 038 Build Kit Start to Finish

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still no joy. The shipments seem to be taking a long time from China lately.
Finally received the correct wrist pin bearing for 380. Ordered Mar 4th from Huztl ebay. Still have not received replacement directly from Huztl for the kit.

Finally received the correct wrist pin bearing for 380. Ordered Mar 4th from Huztl ebay. Still have not received replacement directly from Huztl for the kit.
Started up the 380 kit today. It runs great. It is much smoother than my 440 kit. The choke does not seem to restrict the flow enough and it takes over ten pulls to start cold. It starts on one pull when warm.

I felt the air filter was going to be a problem. Wonder if a oem throttle bar and an air filter would improve it's starting faster

I think I will start with throttle bar, I don't have an oem filter to compare with but it seems to open and close fully. What do you think it is?

I think I will start with throttle bar, I don't have an oem filter to compare with but it seems to open and close fully. What do you think it is?
My OEM 038 was hard to start when I got it and it turned out to be the filter choke sticking. Turned out all I had to do was loosen the mounting screws on the filter so it didn't distort the filter. These don't seem to be braced very well and if you go any more than snug it messes up the choke. Mine now starts in about 3-4 pulls when cold. I probably should use a bit of Silicone on it though..Come to think of it, it might have an aftermarket filter but not sure.

Now I remember you telling us that earlier. I will remember that now. Getting old

A.palmer did you use nuts underneath the filter? Mine of course is sitting but I put nuts to secure the carb and then put the filter on and tightened it and checked the throttle tab was hitting the arm on the filter shutter and put the cover on.

I'm pretty sure the carb has nuts that hold it on then the air filter is screwed on with the aluminum nuts and the cover is screwed into one of the aluminum slotted nuts on the filter. I had to do a little finagling to get the aftermarket air filter cover to fit right onto the slotted nut, I had to take the spring out of the cover knob or it wouldn't screw in. I've had the same trouble with my 036 aftermarket cover.

Mine fits, it's just the thing that tightens it up wouldn't engage. I ended up making mine a one piece thing, clamped the aluminum nut onto the engaging part so it just unscrews from the air filter. Thought about using JB Weld but figured it might break after a few times of taking it off. I would have used the OEM locks but they were missing when I got the saw.

Mine fits, it's just the thing that tightens it up wouldn't engage. I ended up making mine a one piece thing, clamped the aluminum nut onto the engaging part so it just unscrews from the air filter. Thought about using JB Weld but figured it might break after a few times of taking it off. I would have used the OEM locks but they were missing when I got the saw.
The issue I had was actually in the aluminum nut that is in the filter. It has a pin that the fastener on the filter cover locks onto. The pin is not centered in the hole in the aluminum nut so the fastener on the filter cover was blocked by the pin. I ground down the cover fastener so it could engage the pin and it works now.

I think the choke is not effective because it does not seat well into the filter housing and thus does not restrict air flow enough.

I've had two or three saws lately with problems like that and can't remember which one but the pin across the aluminum nut was one of my problems also. I think that's the reason I had to take the washers and spring out of the knob assembly for the 038, it just wouldn't reach in far enough to engage the pin. I looked to see if I had another nut with the pin placed a little farther out but didn't have one. I guess I could have re-drilled the nut and changed the pin location but I took the easy way out..

I just started my Huztl 380 cold. Over 50 pulls to start. The saw also doesn't kill when I choke it. I don't think the choke plug is sealing correctly. The saw idles great and starts on first pull when warm. I'm pretty sure it is a control rod issue and not the filter itself.
I've included a photo of the other 038s I have gathered over the years.

Attachments

• 20170331_164223.jpg
    20170331_164223.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
You are no stranger to the 038 for sure. One rod coming up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I adjusted the flat spring on the control switch to hold the lever more in the choke position. This seems to give more travel to the choke plate lever on the filter.

I also noticed a difference in the right cover fastener location on the oem 038 vs. Huztl ms380. The oem is higher and mounted on the rear of the cylinder They are not interchangeable. Huztl sent me a replacement cover for the kit and it did not fit.

Attachments

• 20170331_170305.jpg
    20170331_170305.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 20170331_170338.jpg
    20170331_170338.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
On the Huztl the bolt is right behind the handle. Notice the OEM handle slopes more forward and that appears to uncover the bolt. Interesting.

My parts should be here next week and I am going back over mine. The spring is good information too.

I checked the compression on my Huztl 380. It is about 175 psi without a base gasket. The squish is only 15 mils at the edge but it's over 38 mils in about 3/16 inch.
The 660 cylinders that I have seen have a decent squish machined on the top of the cylinder. The 440 and 380 cylinders i have are very uneven from outer to inner and from side to side.

On the Huztl the bolt is right behind the handle. Notice the OEM handle slopes more forward and that appears to uncover the bolt. Interesting. My parts should be here next week and I am going back over mine. The spring is good information too.

so after looking at the photo you provided of the two saws tbohn and considered why there was a difference? AM? the answer appears to be no. technical bulletin 52.2003
ti_52_2003_01_01_01.fm shows a photo of the ms380 and farmertec has the handle, cover dead on right, screw is hidden. handle slope changed

Latest posts

Back