Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI - Seems like they are working to resolve this...

"Dear ZZZ,
Thanks for your email.
Sorry for this problem, the tap issue has happened accidentally, we checked our stock and found they all be ok.
We will ship you the flywheel side crankcase right now to work out this problem for you.
In the future if you need customer support please email to [email protected] so that you can get prompt response.
Have a good day
HUZTL Farmertec"

Well, looks like you don't need an m5 tap from me... nice. Glad they resolved that quick

I just got my 660 order today. Placed 2/3 ... arrive 2/22. BUT, they told me the order I placed on 2/11 would be merged with the 2/3 order. Nope

Apparently its coming separately. oh well.

I ordered one of these kits. Never sent me tracking info, but it showed up 3 weeks later.

All parts are here and accounted for.

I assembled the crankcase. Froze the crank, heated the case halves, and it went pretty smooth. Will update as I go.

FYI - Seems like they are working to resolve this...

"Dear ZZZ,
Thanks for your email.
Sorry for this problem, the tap issue has happened accidentally, we checked our stock and found they all be ok.
We will ship you the flywheel side crankcase right now to work out this problem for you.
In the future if you need customer support please email to [email protected] so that you can get prompt response.
Have a good day
HUZTL Farmertec"
So, they're not machining them in sets as they should be?

So, they're not machining them in sets as they should be?

I see no reason they should be. I'm sure they do a run of one side and then the other, or run separate jobs on separate machines. What possible advantage would there be to machining in sets? These are relatively low tolerance parts by today's manufacturing standards. Not even sure how you envision that happening - by mating the two side and drilling/tapping the holes? There's no reason to do that - the slop in the unthreaded side is large, and once they are mated, you can't do any interior operations. Any alignment, is done with the pins. With rough 3-4 inches across the crank, a misalignment of a few thou is in the noise. The accuracy and repeatability of the machining is a function of the setup tooling (fixture/jig) and the machine, or on how the part is touched off/referenced when each casting goes on the machine..

OEM's machine crankcase halves as matched sets in just about every industry. Necessary or not is debatable, but that's the way it's done. I built atv engines for some time and mixing case halves was cause for having our fried rice taken away.

Not debating you, but why? What do they see as the advantage? I can only see disadvantages (somewhat cited in my post). Apologies if this is getting off topic in an already way-too-long thread.

IIRC, it's only the cylinder deck and bearing/seal bores that are machined as a set.

OK - cylinder deck I can see - good point I hadn't thought of, although I would expect most of any slop in that could like be taken up by the gasket - but I can definitely see where there would deb some advantage there.

Not debating you, but why? What do they see as the advantage? I can only see disadvantages (somewhat cited in my post). Apologies if this is getting off topic in an already way-too-long thread.
I've put two case halves together from two separate saws, ran fine for a while then main bearing failure occurred. I'll never do it t again.

Good to know -

I've shot them an email to find out if the Huztl machines them together. They were packaged together.

Brent

That would be "best practice". I've seen a 562 that had a .007 step between the halves. :( So no longer certain all OEM do that "best practice" anymore. But step back a second. To accomplish the "best practice" that would assume the cases are assembled at least with the locating pins right? Or fixtured relative to them. And whats important is the bearing pockets both in alignment and orientation, something that if is off a gasket can't fix! See where this is going? I would venture that castings very a bit from part to part, so machining them has to be referenced from a "machined" location.....that would most likely be things like the locating pins or some other critical machined feature like those bearing pockets...:) Of course the machining on those high volume parts probably are done on dedicated equipment, that also has a high tolerance capability. IF a major OEM is willing to sell a case halve, you have the answer to the question. I do know 562 cases got really cheap recently and they now come as a set... is that relevant? Don't know.

Just look at the machine marks on the cylinder deck when joined...that will tell you all you need to know.

Yep - was planning on doing that when I get home, although if they did indeed do them together, might they be ground vs machined? Could be hard to see anything if they were ground.

Likely a face mill. Need to have positive rake on that stuff, at least a positive rake on the chip breaker. Grinding?? Not as likely. Abrasive machining on those type of parts. Not so good.

And here I was picturing a little china man perched atop a wooden block with a chisel.

Definitely milled and definitely not milled as a mated pair (at least the set I received). Very different tooling marks on each piece..

Opicture post: 6170246 said:
And here I was picturing a little china man perched atop a wooden block with a chisel.
I have a picture I took in 1981 ..in the back ground a diesamatic automatic casting system....in the foreground a man in shorts and bare feet, hand scraping in the ways on a Niigata HN50a horizontal machining center.....using a lazer...as a measurement device

Latest posts

Back