Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya!

I got the PTO side together by baking the case half ... then putting the crank in... WHOOPSIES ... the big end bearing fell right out when I did that. ...so I needed to install the oiler, bake at 300f again, then install the crank. ... then I used my new tool on the flywheel side...and it worked! very nice!
Did the finish blister?

Here is some general info available from a premium bearing manufacturer:
"Normally a bearing temperature increase of 150° F above the shaft temperature provides sufficient expansion for mounting. As the bearing cools, it contracts and tightly grips the shaft. It’s important to heat the bearing uniformly and to regulate heat accurately. Bearings should not be heated above 250° F, as excess heat can destroy a bearing’s metallurgical properties, softening the bearing and potentially changing its dimensions permanently. Standard ball bearings fitted with shields or seals should not be heated above 210° F because of their grease fill or seal material. Never heat a bearing using an open flame such as a blowtorch."

finish is fine. the oven temp was 305 ... but I don't think the case itself got above 280 on my temp gun. the powdercoat was chipping a bit anyway when I got it, but its no worse now than before.

yes, I know a torch isn't ideal, and especially on these nylon cage bearings. ...hence my need/want/desire to make tools to do this stuff at room temp. i'm kinda upset that I got bad info to start, was hoping to order the tap I needed before the saw arrived. good news is that the taps did show up, but they weren't the correct size for 660. on the upside, yes I'm good to go for the husky stuff ... AND... the tools worked brilliantly for the flywheel side today.

the bearings are already installed in the case ... thats how the cases come. I need to heat the bearing to get the crank through it, unless you have the tool or a press

i thought I had the tool... but, I tapped for the wrong threads. you'll see in the vid :)

Getting closer to it's new home!

2017-02-24 Friday
16:35:25 In transit
15:46:09 The customs clearance is completed.
14:09:45 Shipment arrive at 【America New York Gateway】

One issue I did have that just crossed my mind. Normally when setting ignition module air gap I use a business card. I could not do that here. I had to lock it down while lightly prying it out with a screwdriver. Than turn the flywheel until the magnet's where under it. Normally at this point I put the business card in and release it. But it was just to tight. What I did is use a feeler gauge under the secondary part of the coil, or the arm that comes off of it. I had to set that at .012 and put the card under the coil itself. When I tried .010 the flywheel would hit. Doing it this way the flywheel turns without contact.

the bearings are already installed in the case ... thats how the cases come. I need to heat the bearing to get the crank through it, unless you have the tool or a press

i thought I had the tool... but, I tapped for the wrong threads. you'll see in the vid :)
On my 039 I put the crank in the deep freeze for a while and parked the bearing near a light bulb. After a few minutes it slipped right on!

Back