I'd rather be splitting wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We live on a dead end road, which our dog loves to watch people walk by. Lately, people in cars see her and stop to pick her up. I've even watched them do it. She loves this, meeting new friends. But it is getting to be rather frequent lately as I've been putting in more hours on the splitter. She is with me, then she gets board with that and sits by the road. Sometimes I hear the phone and I tell them I can see them, just open the door and let her out. Sometimes they drive down the drive and walk her towards the splitter engine noise. So, Saturday I cleared a path as our son ran a tracked trencher about 500 feet up the road, and 500 feet back, then another to the 300 feet to the wood shed.. Been trying real hard today to keep the purple primer out of my beard. Hope to be done tomorrow, and back to splitting wood.
IMG_3606.jpg IMG_3607.jpg
IMG_2593.jpg

Yep. Running pvc with wire, an extra pull cord, and access boxes every two hundred feet with a riser so I know where the boxes are. It is not an enclosure per say, just a barrier to the road, but it has to be a continuous loop 5' apart. So up and down the road, and then to a power source. Neighbor said lay it on the ground, no trenching, no conduit. How long would that last? He said long enough to train the dog. Maybe he is right, but this is what I'm doing even though it will probably only be on when I'm splitting wood.

Yep. Running pvc with wire, an extra pull cord, and access boxes every two hundred feet with a riser so I know where the boxes are. It is not an enclosure per say, just a barrier to the road, but it has to be a continuous loop 5' apart. So up and down the road, and then to a power source. Neighbor said lay it on the ground, no trenching, no conduit. How long would that last? He said long enough to train the dog. Maybe he is right, but this is what I'm doing even though it will probably only be on when I'm splitting wood.

I would rather have done your method but time and money were short when we needed to fence in our place for our pups. I sprayed glyphosate in a 6" wide stripe to kill all vegetation and get down to bare dirt, then ran about 4000' of 14 ga wire around the perimeter of our property and used 6" sod staples every 10' or so to hold it down. It was a fair bit of work, but I didn't need any equipment or shovels, and so far I've only managed to find it once with the mower (had the fence in place about a year), and that one time was only because I accidentally set the mower an inch too low. The grass has filled back in over top the wire in 90% of the stripe, and nobody knows it's there.

Also - I dream of having a beard as manly as yours.

If buried on top of the ground, I wonder if there is a way to pinpoint exactly where a split in the circuit would be if one would occur ? DISCLAIMER: I an NOT an E.E. :)

Way more of a project than I anticipated, and the same goes for expense. The pit bull costume for her may have been the better choice. Making headway however. I'm thinking with a box every 200' finding a bad section will be a process of elimination. If there is a problem it will most likely be where it crosses the two driveways the log trucks enter and exit. We bought pie tins to hang along the in-ground wire instead of the flags that came with it. I would hate for the dog to be skiddish of yard flags when ever she sees them when we are out walking.
The beard is beginning to get in the way... but it isn't purple yet! I miss my SSHD.IMG_3605.jpg

If buried on top of the ground, I wonder if there is a way to pinpoint exactly where a split in the circuit would be if one would occur ? DISCLAIMER: I an NOT an E.E. :)

A circuit tracer would find the break fairly quickly even if buried.

Neighbor said lay it on the ground, no trenching, no conduit. How long would that last? He said long enough to train the dog.

Looks like you are enjoying the project. The neighbor is right. After a few weeks the dog is trained and you could even turn off the system for good.

I've never used primer on condiut, nor never seen it used, just for pvc **** pipes.

We did pvc airlines in the shop, no primer there either.

This is a grey plastic schedule 40 1/2" pipe. Perhaps it is water pipe, but I do not think so because of the limited fittings including boxes with screwed on covers. Used schedule 80 under the driveways. The glue also makes them slip together easier, and then a 1/4 turn twist to seal it. Rain day today, off and on...

I've never used primer on condiut, nor never seen it used, just for pvc **** pipes.

We did pvc airlines in the shop, no primer there either.

PVC airlines are a really bad idea. If one under pressure is bumped good or impacted it can become instant shrapnel. Yes, i know lots do it but it is really dangerous.

PVC airlines are a really bad idea. If one under pressure is bumped good or impacted it can become instant shrapnel. Yes, i know lots do it but it is really dangerous.

No easy way to hit them. All against walls over benches and such.

No easy way to hit them. All against walls over benches and such.

Hopefully it never lets loose. I wouldn't do it myself. Only seen one that let loose, shop was empty when it happened so no injuries. The debris was ugly enough to convince me to never run PVC airlines. Not trying to change your mind or dispute it's worked. Food for thought for others.

The primer is not needed. In fact i read that the codes eliminated the need for primer on plumbing pipes this last go around. If they don't require it, why would you bother for electric conduit.

BTW It may not matter for the dog you have now, but dogs live a much shorter life than we do. You will have more dogs. And need to train them too. The conduit is a good idea, in the long run.

Wow, good info about the primer. What changed? Did they re-formulate the cement, or just realized that it's not necessary? I always thought that it was more of a cleaner to get grease and dust off than anything.

Also, about PVC air lines, I have been seeing some PEX kits out there now. That seems a lot safer and more user-friendly to me.

The primer is not needed. In fact i read that the codes eliminated the need for primer on plumbing pipes this last go around. If they don't require it, why would you bother for electric conduit.

This would only apply to non-pressure (drain) pvc right? I can't imagine running pressure pipes without using the primer it physically changes the properties of the pipe to where it bonds together with the cement (solvent welding)

BTW It may not matter for the dog you have now, but dogs live a much shorter life than we do. You will have more dogs. And need to train them too. The conduit is a good idea, in the long run.

This is not true..^^^^ primer really isn't a cleaner, its a chemical reaction to soften and open pores in the plastic for the glue to make a good adhesion. Actually the rules of dyed primer are back in place, for years you did not need to prove primer by color. But then people stopped using it and all kinds of problems happening to buildings. So back to colored primer. FWIW.

Latest posts

Back