ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Identifying tree roots

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by woodtick-57, Jun 10, 2005.

1. woodtick-57

woodtick-57 New Member

Is there any way to identify tree roots? The other day my sewer line was plugged so I called my local plumber to clean it out. When he pulled the mechanical drain out there was a big mass of tree roots. My sewer line runs under my driveway (I can’t imagine a worse location). On one side is a pine tree, on the other is a maple tree. The sewer line runs pretty much between the middle of these two trees. I would like to identify the roots so I can tell which tree is the culprit.

2. treeseer

treeseer Advocatus Pro Arbora

Big difference; pine roots will be redder. scratch off the epidermis and you will smell pine. Once you wash em off an dprobe a liitle it'll be no problem. Post pictures if you wnat; it's easy.

3. Ekka

Ekka Diploma Horticulture + Diploma Arboriculture (Leve

And what will you be doing to that culprit?

Perhaps if that culprit were gone another culprit may take it's place as the pipe is broken or cracked for the roots to get in. Unless it's one of those old earthenware link together pipes that roots get into at the join.

Is it perhaps possible to either

A/ Lay a new plastic pipe

B/ Sleeve the inside of the old pipe. ????

The majority of cases shows that tree roots take advantage of broken and cracked pipes, not knowing the size of the tree it may be cheaper and better to fix the pipe.