Identifying tree roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodtick-57

Reaction score
Is there any way to identify tree roots? The other day my sewer line was plugged so I called my local plumber to clean it out. When he pulled the mechanical drain out there was a big mass of tree roots. My sewer line runs under my driveway (I can’t imagine a worse location). On one side is a pine tree, on the other is a maple tree. The sewer line runs pretty much between the middle of these two trees. I would like to identify the roots so I can tell which tree is the culprit.

Big difference; pine roots will be redder. scratch off the epidermis and you will smell pine. Once you wash em off an dprobe a liitle it'll be no problem. Post pictures if you wnat; it's easy.

woodtick-57 said:
I would like to identify the roots so I can tell which tree is the culprit.

And what will you be doing to that culprit?

Perhaps if that culprit were gone another culprit may take it's place as the pipe is broken or cracked for the roots to get in. Unless it's one of those old earthenware link together pipes that roots get into at the join.

Is it perhaps possible to either

A/ Lay a new plastic pipe

B/ Sleeve the inside of the old pipe. ????

The majority of cases shows that tree roots take advantage of broken and cracked pipes, not knowing the size of the tree it may be cheaper and better to fix the pipe.

I have the same issue. I have an old 100 yr oak farthest away from the sanitary line, and a younger maple nearer the line. If I need to take one out, I’d prefer to remove the maple. I have a small ball of roots, anyway to tell?

If you have a larger root in the ball, take a good pic of a cross-section and we may be able to identify.

Yeah, I know that but was responding to Schoonie's post.

Like it was said in the post 12 years ago, tree roots do not break through pipes. Pipes need to be cracked or broken first then the roots will invade.
Replace the pipe.

Back