Iowa Charity Cut -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were diffidently a splitter down. Those super splits have their place but they struggle with the knot ridden and crotch pieces. I think Hedgerow's old school hydro with the retrofit 4 way had the most volume of the day.
Old scrap iron has been winnowed and re-tooled through many charity cuts to about the most effective splitter it can be for the situations we get to work in.
Next upgrade will be 3/4" hydro lines..

Old scrap iron has been winnowed and re-tooled through many charity cuts to about the most effective splitter it can be for the situations we get to work in.
Next upgrade will be 3/4" hydro lines..

Hope you don't need to many 3/4" lines. Because Ouch$$$ Plus you will need new fittings.

Didn't make any speed difference on my TM skid splitters switching from 1/2" to 3/4" lines. Might run cooler. 12 ft of hose total.
I would have to replace everything from the cylinder to the pump. All it takes to slow it down is 1 orifice or fitting that's not 3/4". Pump outlet is 3/4" everything else is 1/2'... So I won't be in any real hurry any time soon. LOL.

We were diffidently a splitter down. Those super splits have their place but they struggle with the knot ridden and crotch pieces. I think Hedgerow's old school hydro with the retrofit 4 way had the most volume of the day.
The easiest way to deal with the crotches and tough knotty pieces is to noodle them in half before they even get to the splitter.
I never thought that I would like a kinetic type splitter because of their performance on those tough pieces, but realized they work fine (and fast) if you just half those uglies with the saw. It probably takes less time this way and is much safer, not to mention easier on the equipment, regardless of hydro or kinetic.

The easiest way to deal with the crotches and tough knotty pieces is to noodle them in half before they even get to the splitter.
I never thought that I would like a kinetic type splitter because of their performance on those tough pieces, but realized they work fine (and fast) if you just half those uglies with the saw. It probably takes less time this way and is much safer, not to mention easier on the equipment, regardless of hydro or kinetic.

Even noodling half way speeds that up

Them there are fighting words to them there SS fanboys...

I look at it from a different angle.
Down here, we have a different access to machinery. If we get to have machinery at all. The highest production we had was at Mansfield, because of the machinery that was able to come. 17 cord. Usually it's in the 8-11 cord range. But, we have different circumstances down here.
Given the amount of wood produced Saturday, I saw very few problems. Yes, the splitters had a few times where they couldn't keep up. Mainly due to difficult wood. But overall they did a very good job of staying with it.
The only place I saw a need, would be to have a couple of crews taking wood from the pile and palletizing it. That would make it easier on Doug.

QFT....50 cord in one day ain't no slouch.

Been thinking Doug, since you don't use your sideways splitter on the tool cat anymore and have a spare Honda engine from the super split, with a couple note parts you could make a nice hydro splitter for the charity cut with minimal investment.

Back