Is this red oak or hickory?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You always know when you come across oak brush in the woods when clearing trails. Anything else breaks with a stomp and the oak that looks like it's junk is still solid and strong.

Thanks guys. I am confident it is red oak now. Those brown heartwood top limbs and the the general punk which I'm not used to had me guessing. I can't wait to see how the x27 and Hammer of Thor (aka fiskars Isocore maul) handle it. Most people don't understand but thats where u guys matter! Cheers to firewood season!

We cut a lot of dead oak similar to that about 20 years ago. The gypsy worms killed a lot of the oak around home. The standing trees would stay better if the bark fell off, as in the outside wouldn't get so punky. I remember the woodshed having a funk smell whenever it got filled with red oak.

The veterans have nailed it but that's Red Oak for sure. Punky outside, color of heartwood, even the bark that's left. I cut a lot of it. Splits super easy for me. Standing dead is a different story.

I love the smell of it.

Especially white oak!

Pin Oak has a very distinct barn yard smell to it IME. True RO has a more distinct woody smell.
I agree. My dads woods is loaded with pin oak so that's the smell I'm used to when cutting red oak. This had more of the "wood shop" oak smell which threw me off a bit. I've cut only two red oaks in my woods because of the EAB. When I split it tonight it was a no brainer that it's red oak. The Isocore did the work quickly and easily. And my Lil buddy cheered me on as we showed that ole wood who's boss!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I agree. My dads woods is loaded with pin oak so that's the smell I'm used to when cutting red oak. This had more of the "wood shop" oak smell which threw me off a bit. I've cut only two red oaks in my woods because of the EAB. When I split it tonight it was a no brainer that it's red oak. The Isocore did the work quickly and easily. And my Lil buddy cheered me on as we showed that ole wood who's boss!
View attachment 527835
View attachment 527836
A chip off the ole block!

A chip off the ole block!
I didn't even catch his expression when I had him lean on that round after its one hit pop! We like to call the wood out when I split with stuff like " u talking to me wood?! Take that!" to keep it interesting. It must be working for him! I have two other great older kids but he's gonna be the one to help me out with the woodcutting and "man stuff" when I get older. His stick is his cutting tool for now although he snuck a chop with my x27 when I wasn't looking! Not yet boy! Too dangerous but secretly I'm proud. We finished off the second load last night. Btw his bandage on his hand was to hold a band aid over a tiny paper cut on his hand that was driving him crazy enough for me to give in and tape it on. Not so tough. And stubborn. Like his old man. Lol.
image.jpeg

Reminds me of when I used to drink whiskey every now and then. Fresh cut oak actually gives me a little craving for a shot or two.
White or bur smells like that vanilla whiskey smell. Red or pin not so much in my experience.

View attachment 527432 View attachment 527431 I rarely cut blow downs or really anything other than dead ash these days. But I came across this blow down in my woods and other than the outside inch it's solid hard wood. Thought it was red oak but maybe it's a type of hickory? The heart wood and decomposing bark have me confused. Nice day in the woods either way. Most here in Ohio are excited deer bow season opened today. But the kids and I were excited for the firewood season opener!
View attachment 527433
Looks like Red oak, but look around where you found it and see if there are lots of other red oaks or hickory. That will probably tell.

Latest posts

Back