Jacking/Lifting a log before cutting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnHermit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In order to keep the chain out of the dirt, I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to lift some of the logs several inches before blocking?

This photo shows where I'm working:
RicksTrees_7859.jpg

Most of the trees are dead-fall and lying on the ground. Their sizes are all similar, 14-20" D, 40' long. I'm sure my hydraulic car jack would lift them, then I'd use limb logs to prop up the big log.

What do you pros do?

Still learning. Thanks

Cut a bit more than halfway through, then roll the log over and cut through the other side.

A cant hook (I don't have one) would make rolling the log easier. You pretty much have to cut nearly through the log on one of your cuts to make it roll-able, in my experience.

There is a tool called a "timberjack" that is a sort of footed cant hook to prop your log off the ground. I don't have one of those easier, but I don't see a big advantage over the cut/roll/cut technique.

Tool you want is a log peavey or cant hook. Stihl sells some beauties but I bet you could find one a bit cheaper if you look around a bit and are a bit color blind. Modern ones have aluminum handles, older ones are maple. A longer handle will give you more leverage but are more awkward to use and lug around. Have fun.

I limbed and bucked a fairly large evergreen for a friend after a wind storm. After getting all the un-stressed limbs out of the way I ended up using a farm jack (Hi-Lift jack) and chain to take the stress off some of the remaining limbs so I could get the thing on the ground. What a pain... I'd probably try to avoid doing that again if at all possible.

Here's a timberjack I fab'd up last year, with some remnant steel I had. It worked pretty good, and is definitely overbuilt. I lifted a wet, heavy section of Ponderosa pine with it, that was about 15' long, and 24" diam. I would say I use the partial cut, and roll technique more often though.

TimberjackMarch2008001.jpg

TimberjackMarch2008003.jpg

Timberjack.gif

The last picture with the 5 gallon can, is for scale.

Here's a timberjack I fab'd up last year, with some remnant steel I had. It worked pretty good, and is definitely overbuilt.

Timberjack.gif

11.gif
I can see you're into the animated images.

Is that your work dropping that tree on the white car? Wow!!! Every time I see that I just go amazing.

Nope, that white car thing is from youtube... I just thought the video was funny, and made an animated .gif out'a it. Apparently the guys who made the video, intentionally smashed the car for fun.

Is that near Horsetooth?

I really like a peavy to cut half way through and roll the stem. I don't see that point of getting it much off the ground, just don't cut dirt.

Good luck.

Thought i was seeing things, Kept lookin for the gas can, I knew i seen it before and then it was gone.lol Nice homemade timberjack. It looks a lot stronger than the original.

Haha, fooled your eye huh? LOL

Thanks, it is pretty beefy... More than it needs to be... But it will never break! LOL

Hermit,

I Just cut all the limbs free of the trunk and leave one strategicly placed like you figured, and then cut 3/4 through, then roll. On the bigger stuff I'll do the same, and then wrap a chain 1.5 times around then pull a bit with the Truck, quad, winch, whatever, to get a 1/2 roll. On the cheap, it's hard to beat a farm jack or come along for such things.

Timber jacks come in handy for smaller stuff that is too big to plop down into a bucking horse, but a Cant hook will be used more often once you get into the swing of things.

It sounds like you're having fun with the new saw and time in the woods!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks for the pics guys , Iv'e been wanting to either buy one or make one , The problem is the store bought ones are either way to expensive or there junk , I saw a cant hook and a timberjack today at a renco hardware store and both were right around 100.00 each !!!! The problem I had with making one was I didn't know where to position the hook hinge in relation to the point , I think with the pics I can weld one up . !!!!

Thanks for the pics guys , Iv'e been wanting to either buy one or make one , The problem is the store bought ones are either way to expensive or there junk , I saw a cant hook and a timberjack today at a renco hardware store and both were right around 100.00 each !!!! The problem I had with making one was I didn't know where to position the hook hinge in relation to the point , I think with the pics I can weld one up . !!!!

I can give you the ratio from mine if you'd like... All I did was print a picture of one, and scale it to what they advertised as the handle length. It only needed minor tweaking to work good.

Let me know.

If any of the trunk is off the ground before you start place a block every few feet before you buck it and if it settles the blocks will keep it off the ground.

Otherwise the cut almost through and roll technique mentioned above. If possible, do the 1st through cut before you have to roll, on a section not in the dirt.

Metals406 , That would be great , just give me a measurement from the hook hinge pin to the end of the handle where you curled the steel around , that should get me really close , thanks

Pic tomorrow

I have one of the cheap metal ones you get at HD or some of the other places. It is to dark and cold right now, but I'll take a picture when I unload the truck tomorrow. It was not a big enough "bite" originally, but my buddy who can build anything put a adjustable length bar for the hook so you can hook something a hell of a lot bigger than you can lift. When I tried to lift a really heavy piece of oak and bent the handle he welded on a support for me, and I haven't been able to bend it since. I'll also photo the winch attachment that he made so I can take the hand crane/winch on and off in about 90 seconds. JR

Metals406 , That would be great , just give me a measurement from the hook hinge pin to the end of the handle where you curled the steel around , that should get me really close , thanks

Okay, from the center of the hook bolt, to the tip of the hog nose is 7"... And from the center of the hook bolt to the tip of the hook is 11". The hook beak to the hog nose is 3", when it is in the closed position.

The jack stand itself, is 9" tall--overall. The tip of the handle to the hog nose is 5'-1".

I bought a timberjack from a farm and home store locally and it was all steel. I thought it was going to work great. However after the second time of lifing an 18" dia X 16' log the handle broke. It was a 2 piece handle and the stud that holds it together ripped out. I took measurements of the business end and made myself one at work with a longer one piece handle.

I've since made 3 more for people at work and we've been sneaking them out!!!! LOL :clap:

My brother used it while I cut up several logs last weekend. It works awesome. He would just lift the log and I'd keep cutting away. He was able to lift a 20" Dia x 20' Walnut with it!! But I had to help him push it over. The longer the handle the better for leverage...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back