Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol...can we say CAD ho?

But hey, worse things in life to spend money on like gambling and drugs...so what's the harm.......

Kevin

Guilty. On 1 January 2017, I had two Poulan chainsaws. As of today, I have about 43...

Another nice XH arrived in the mail today. And I pulled the trigger on another XB yesterday (that makes 3). And there's the 621 on the way from Germany, etc.

Darn dollar is too strong against the euro and other European currencies; deals are too hard to pass up.

Scott

Yeah, it's great to get original literature too like that. Which begs the question; when you buy vintage saws in Europe, are you more likely to get original lit and provenance info about the saw?

Kevin

Good questions.

-I don't think the chances are any better for original literature, but majority of my experience with vintage saws has been in Europe, so not sure how prevalent this is in the states.

-Provenance info -- less of a chance here. I'm not finding much locally, so my purchases are usually online, via contacts in other countries, collectors in other countries, etc. In other words, I am often buying from an intermediary, and rarely have face to face meetings with the saw's owner. As a result, there's less of an opportunity to chat with anyone who is knowledgeable about the saw's history. And there's also the language barrier; not as big of a deal with Google translate, but it's still difficult to establish rapport with a stranger via e mail and in an unfamiliar language.

Scott

Good questions.

-I don't think the chances are any better for original literature, but majority of my experience with vintage saws has been in Europe, so not sure how prevalent this is in the states.

-Provenance info -- less of a chance here. I'm not finding much locally, so my purchases are usually online, via contacts in other countries, collectors in other countries, etc. In other words, I am often buying from an intermediary, and rarely have face to face meetings with the saw's owner. As a result, there's less of an opportunity to chat with anyone who is knowledgeable about the saw's history. And there's also the language barrier; not as big of a deal with Google translate, but it's still difficult to establish rapport with a stranger via e mail and in an unfamiliar language.

Scott

Interesting, thanks. I hadn't thought of the intermediary factor over there and the language barrier. I was postulating that maybe the saw owners as a general rule, took better care of these vintage saws and were more likely to have original lit. It sounds like that sadly, you are losing the provenance stories that could go with these saws. I mean there has to be some interesting reasons why someone would hang onto a XB all this time or wind up with one, right?

Over here it is 'now' somewhat rare to find original owner vintage saws and the original literature to go with them. But it does happen and if the saw looks in decent shape, it will go high just on the provenance factor in eBay....especially if the owner is old & infirmed or a son/daughter/relative is selling a saw for a deceased parent/uncle or whatever (of course how they word the auction is EVERYTHING along with the pics). Now if we didn't have eBay and it was just garage/yard sales and craigslist, I think the whole landscape would be different. People in the US feel that if anything might have value, eBay it. That IMO, has led to the depletion of a lot of interesting finds still potentially out there. Although for example, if someone had the time, money and inclination to drive up and down the west coast looking for vintage/loggin' saws/parts, I'm sure you could still score big. But...you'd have to visit saw shops, follow up on infinite leads, talk to people in restaurants and comb newspapers etc, etc. If only.....I sure like the sound of that though.....lol.

Kevin

Kevin - I do have some provenance here and there, and have an interesting back-story on the red XB. And I have hopes for more details on several vintage saws coming from the same source, but don't have much at this point.

eBay and other auction sites are interesting creatures, aren't they? I find that they have a different personality (or the sellers/buyers do) depending on where they're located. And some have some decidedly negative personality traits.

Anyway, I realize I can't keep all of the saws (at least not unless I want to be divorced in the near future), so I'll be selling some of the ones that I have multiples of. It will be interesting to see what does and what does not work for me as a seller.

Scott

Scott,
I don't have any idea how Euro eBay works out and the nuances involved. I've bought just a few things internationally in the past and not chainsaw related. Got into a bit of a tiff with a seller in England, but turned out to be a cultural misunderstanding....basically.

I think a well-written auction, implied honesty, good pics and good communication goes a very long way on any eBay. Canada has some alternatives to eBay and they seem to do quite well with generally lower prices. Craigslist is OK here, but you have to get the software to search all of them across the country if you're looking for something of great interest. But craigslist tells everyone to beware of buyers wanting items out of your area to be shipped to them etc. So first you have to convince the seller that you're not a scammer and you will send money instantly to their PayPal account etc. Which puts you the buyer completely at their mercy if they are dishonest etc. It can be a bit complicated, to say the least and you still don't get to see the item in person as an out of state buyer.

I've been fairly lucky in this regard dealing out of state on craigslist, but I have gotten some sub-standard stuff that didn't show up in the few pics from the original ad. Nothing I couldn't fix or get rid of, however. I found out that if you press an out of state craigslist seller too hard for details, how to pack etc, they'll just bail on the sale and sell (even for less) locally.

Kevin

eBay has a pretty strong presence in Europe. I buy a lot from eBay.de (Deutschland/Germany). But I've been burned a few times -- the Germans that I deal with seem to think they don't have to disclose known defects in their ads. Most common issue is the broken fins in the starter housing - no mention in the description and no pictures of it, either. Happened to me 3x. Dinged 'em on the feedback.

Have had good luck with eBay.co.uk but they don't have as many saws as you see on eBay.de. Same with eBay.it (Italy), eBay.fr (France), etc.

Then there are the eBay sites that are like Craigslist -- in Germany it's eBay-kleinzagen.com or something like that. LOTS of stuff, but the logistics of shipping seem to be more painful. And the sellers don't have any feedback that you can refer to.

In the states, I was rarely successful in trying to have someone ship something from a Craigslist ad.

Lol...I'm a smooth talker I guess to the craigslist sellers. Once I get in that is, some never respond.

That's really interesting on Euro eBays. Not to sound xenophobic, but in my dealings with first gen Germans here, I found a definite lack of a sense of humor and 'Oh yeah, if you can't figure out all the faults, you're the dumba**', kinda mentality.

Seems like the logistics and the language barriers for you there are real stumbling blocks. You have more patience than me....I'm not sure what I'd do faced with similar circumstances.

Kevin

That 630 is way out of line. At least here it is. Don't know the market for a 920

Yeah it is and that's within driving range from me. The 920 may approach 3/4 of that (on eBay) for a collector if it was low hr, one owner etc. But it's still a completely unsupported saw with NLA parts.

Spike60 said in his video about the 900 series that the 930 shares some Husky parts. Possibly some of those are still available. But the 910 and the 920...nada.

Kevin

I just watched spike60's video series again on the 900 series saws. The 920 didn't make as much power as the 910 and the 930 because they went with a piston design that was Husky and did not have the windows in the case to match the milled windows in the bottom of the piston. The 920 drawing the mix through the piston window and jug transfer, while the 910 and 930 drew the mix from the bottom of the milled piston and corresponding case windows. So in the 930, Elux went back to the case & piston style of the 910 to get more power back. There were some early 930's with the same design as the 920, but they changed back to the 910 case and piston style during the production run. Bob said there was a bulletin about this from Jonsered.

I see now no companion Husky model that would contribute anything to the 930 other than maybe the air filter. So IMO, the 920 was a step down from the 910 and except for the stronger Partner handle, the saw had less to offer the logger. Copying the piston and jug design of the 910, the 930 got the power back into the design. Ergo, the 910 & the 930 are the two to own from a power/torque standpoint.

Kevin

Back