Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a lot of the Swedish muscle saws were popular logging back in day that most were used up along with the parts. I think that's why parts are almost impossible to find.

It was actually a decision by Electrolux Group AB not to support parts for the saws previous to the Jonsereds buyout and designed by the original company. Happened the same with the Husky 2100/2101. When you buy a big company, there is nothing usually in the deal that says you have to support product made up to that point. We've all seen in our lifetimes where a new company just drops parts support to everything before the buyout/merger. It sucks and it's bad PR, but common. Bean counters don't consider it a money maker to keep supplying older parts.

On the other hand, I've always admired companies that continue to support their customers with older products. I've even heard some reps say that as long as there is a demand, they will keep supplying old parts.

Kevin

It was actually a decision by Electrolux Group AB not to support parts for the saws previous to the Jonsereds buyout and designed by the original company. Happened the same with the Husky 2100/2101. When you buy a big company, there is nothing usually in the deal that says you have to support product made up to that point. We've all seen in our lifetimes where a new company just drops parts support to everything before the buyout/merger. It sucks and it's bad PR, but common. Bean counters don't consider it a money maker to keep supplying older parts.

On the other hand, I've always admired companies that continue to support their customers with older products. I've even heard some reps say that as long as there is a demand, they will keep supplying old parts.

Kevin
That makes sense, I was talking with Bob @spike60 amd he was saying they only made parts for certain amount of years after they went out of production (910/820/920/830/930 saws). I think that's why some came with mismatched parts to keep them going after parts dried up.

That makes sense, I was talking with Bob @spike60 amd he was saying they only made parts for certain amount of years after they went out of production (910/820/920/830/930 saws). I think that's why some came with mismatched parts to keep them going after parts dried up.

Exactly...usually in these cases 5-7yrs. Bob would know better than me how Electrolux Group AB actually handled that in terms of yrs. Once all those saws ceased production, it seemed Electrolux didn't really give a rat's arse on supporting them. In the late 80's after I quit loggin' and moved to a farm in MO, getting some parts from a dealer for my 80 was a struggle...oftentimes, they were parts in a bin somewhere that were bought around the time of production or shortly after. Some saw shops had a really good sense of what the usual failures were on these saws (used hard) and stocked up. And there was no Net then, so you had to get on the phone and make long-distance calls around the country at your expense, to locate parts. That's when I learned that AV mount for the full-wrap handle was basically unobtainium.

Yeah, so what they say about hindsight x10. When I think about how freely information flows these days....back then if the dealer didn't know and the local library didn't have any information, about the only other option was to call a main distributor like Tilton. And again, calling across country the meter was running. Seems like the Dark Ages now.

Kevin

Exactly...usually in these cases 5-7yrs. Bob would know better than me how Electrolux Group AB actually handled that in terms of yrs. Once all those saws ceased production, it seemed Electrolux didn't really give a rat's arse on supporting them. In the late 80's after I quit loggin' and moved to a farm in MO, getting some parts from a dealer for my 80 was a struggle...oftentimes, they were parts in a bin somewhere that were bought around the time of production or shortly after. Some saw shops had a really good sense of what the usual failures were on these saws (used hard) and stocked up. And there was no Net then, so you had to get on the phone and make long-distance calls around the country at your expense, to locate parts. That's when I learned that AV mount for the full-wrap handle was basically unobtainium.

Yeah, so what they say about hindsight x10. When I think about how freely information flows these days....back then if the dealer didn't know and the local library didn't have any information, about the only other option was to call a main distributor like Tilton. And again, calling across country the meter was running. Seems like the Dark Ages now.

Kevin

That's absolutely true........and by and large over half the dealers back then didn't know nearly as much about the products they were selling as we on this forum do now....(which is now history rather than current information).....without the interwebs you can bet yer azz I certainly wouldn't have saws or knowledge about them I have now. It does seem like the Dark Ages, looking back.....well put!!!

Bob is the only dealer I've ever met that actually has in interest in and curiosity of these old saws...not saying there are not others but Bob is the only one I know of. And a good guy to boot!!

That's absolutely true........and by and large over half the dealers back then didn't know nearly as much about the products they were selling as we on this forum do now....(which is now history rather than current information).....without the interwebs you can bet yer azz I certainly wouldn't have saws or knowledge about them I have now. It does seem like the Dark Ages, looking back.....well put!!!

Bob is the only dealer I've ever met that actually has in interest in and curiosity of these old saws...not saying there are not others but Bob is the only one I know of. And a good guy to boot!!

Tim (fossil), just got to meet Bob and Eric at the recent GTG in NY. Said they were really great, standup guys. I'll probably never get the chance to meet them.

Kevin

When I was loggin' in CO....near me in Ridgeway, this guy about my age (we were in our late 20's) started a Husky dealership outa his home. In those days Husky I guess was fine with small start-ups. He got a ton of business right away because there wasn't another dealer for 40 miles. I helped him out on the kind of things those saws needed when worked hard. I put together a 'field kit' of parts most likely to fail on the 2100. He ordered all the parts for me and anytime I used them up, he'd order new for me. Using a saw like that you had to order trigger springs and anything else that could break/fail. When I quit loggin', I was able to use that 'field kit' for about a decade after I moved away from CO.....I think there's still some parts in it yet...lol!

I suspect a lot of pros had some kind of relationship with a dealer like that...especially if you had a lot of dealers around the area.

Kevin

Scott, I really think you are gonna have better luck over there for the really older stuff if you can ever figure out where to ask.

eBay here usually has at least three pages on 621 parts. Maybe you could figure out who's selling the most of them and just contact him directly?

Kevin

Scott, I really think you are gonna have better luck over there for the really older stuff if you can ever figure out where to ask.

eBay here usually has at least three pages on 621 parts. Maybe you could figure out who's selling the most of them and just contact him directly?

Kevin

Kevin - just gave eBay a look and you're right -- there's more of the later stuff in the U.S. -- 60, 601, 62, 621, etc. And there's not much of the earlier stuff anywhere, but I'm seeing more in Europe than I am in the states.

I have a buddy in Sweden; will see if he will stop by a Jonsered dealer or two to see what NOS parts they have...

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, good luck on that...hope to hear a good outcome. The 621 was J'red's flagship saw at the time to the serious homeowner and woodcutter. It was expensive and well supported with lots of sales. The 70E has a good following too but gets mired down with the SEM's module failures and the plastic flywheel fan. Still a lot of people have them and a lot of parts saws out there yet.

Putting that SEM's module under the flywheel like that and exposing its components (even potted) to the heat generated from the saw is principally the reason that they moved the module to outside the flywheel on everything that came after. There was less failure in the Husky 2100/2101 with that similar round module, but it did happen.

I'd like to try a 70E for my business, but I don't want the hassle of that module failing on a job.

Kevin

Kevin - the 621 is nice, but my favorite from that era is the 601. You have to admit it -- it's a damn good looking saw. Seem to have 'em coming out of the woodwork too -- have one here, one in the mail, and working deals on two more... Found some NOS bucking spikes on eBay that will adorn one of them.

247215941_c4ba5cb7-4f68-41d3-80d5-4c4dd7be7083.jpg

Tim (fossil), just got to meet Bob and Eric at the recent GTG in NY. Said they were really great, standup guys. I'll probably never get the chance to meet them.

Kevin
Yep I've seen Bob a couple times and talked with Eric a number of times but never face to face.....perhaps someday ....

Kevin - the 621 is nice, but my favorite from that era is the 601. You have to admit it -- it's a damn good looking saw. Seem to have 'em coming out of the woodwork too -- have one here, one in the mail, and working deals on two more... Found some NOS bucking spikes on eBay that will adorn one of them.

View attachment 575919
I like the 601 too......it was/is the father of and the same displacement as the 62 that then became the 621...and it's extremely smooth saw for being non-AV....really like mine....

Kevin

I enjoyed meeting and visiting with Tim as well (and he did say "hello" from you).

Yep I've seen Bob a couple times and talked with Eric a number of times but never face to face.....perhaps someday ....

I hope so!

ANE.....like that!

Rest assured unless I have future health problems that don't allow it.....I'm winding my way with my grandson (when he's considerably older) all the way up to Maine and into Ontario as well. I love me a good road trip and I don't know how many I have left in me...lol. So figure I'll impose on all you guys that-a-way for a few hrs someday.

Kevin

ANE.....like that!

Rest assured unless I have future health problems that don't allow it.....I'm winding my way with my grandson (when he's considerably older) all the way up to Maine and into Ontario as well. I love me a good road trip and I don't know how many I have left in me...lol. So figure I'll impose on all you guys that-a-way for a few hrs someday.

Kevin

If you ever make to Gettysburg I will gladly give you the .05 Tour

ANE.....like that!

Kevin

I'm up for that. You guys can stay with us!

Latest posts

Back