Just about go time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like you would benefit greatly from a mobile deck and table. Since you have the ability to lift logs, setting them onto a deck and then rolling them into a cutting position, cut and then roll the rounds onto a staging table next to the splitter. @Sandhill Crane is way more serious about his setup than I am mine, but the philosophy is the same. In fact, you would handle the wood less than I do since you throw into piles off the splitter.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bucking-table-mostly-done.307764/

c189729446ef293216129404f3a7cf96.jpg

Casey, nice photo. It works for you and I, however, we are moving pretty uniform wood to the work station, and then moving wood away from it. JRider's does not seem to be doing that. It seems he is moving his splitter along the edge of his wood supply, and leaving rows of wood behind, then working deeper in the pile, doing another row.
The wood is not uniform in length as well, so moving it would probably be slow without a skid steer, or tractor with a and grapple.
He has a system that is labor intensive but efficient, except perhaps for lack of a log lift. I bought my TW-6 for just such a situation for tree service wood being dropped off. They raised their price and I said no thanks, keep it. I used it last fall, and this spring for a bit. It is a nice piece of equipment if you have the work for it. The massive looking 3 1/2" cylinder, dump valve, and 22 gpm, huge hydraulic tank, and Honda GX630 twin make for a strong solid work horse.
(EDIT) With this machine there is room to operate it from the log lift side. The manual does not say that however, but the fact that you can, makes it easy to load the log lift and operable by one person. IMG_2824.jpgIMG_2883.jpg

Granted, our set-ups wont work for 100% of the wood out there. But ANY reduction of handling the wood both pre and post split will increase efficiency and production.

How jrider runs his operation is also why I included the qualifier "mobile" My intention is to move my work station to various spots along my stacking area. Try to keep the distance from where the splitting happens to where the stacking happens as short as possible. In the long run, this may prove more hassle than its worth, but I'm going to try. If I wasn't stacking wood and just tossing it, perhaps the piles would grow faster than moving everything to keep up would make sense... I don't know.

I do know.... as I'm sure you do.... Anytime one can get the wood off the ground and keep it off the ground not only saves time, but saves backs....

I found that the hassle of dealing with the "furniture" of my splitting process was worth it because I didn't wear myself out for a given quantity of wood. We could split 2-3 cords and not feel like we split 2-3 cords. Does it add steps and a different level of complexity... Most certainly. Only the end user can decide if the hassle is worth it.

The log deck looks great but I'm not sure how it would work for my windrows of splits. I end up moving the splitter about 3-5 feet each time I move and my piles are generally around 90-120 feet long. I am all for not lifting the rounds off the ground but I also need to consider efficiency. I have thought about changing things up from my windrows but the wood seasons well and I don't have much wasted time just throwing the splits in the piles. I'm also not sure how much longer I will be doing firewood to the extent I am now. Some days I feel like the world is passing me by as I work away. I also said 15 years ago I would stop at 40 and I'm turning 41 in 4 weeks. Maybe I will scale it back to 50 cords or less. Who knows.

Sadly, everything has a trade off.... I wasn't sure if you would be able to work in a semi permanent fixture into your rather transient splitting area.

I noticed an increase in efficiency even though I added a level of complexity just by the fact I wasn't wearing myself out from constantly having to pick up wood....

Perhaps everything is connected in such a manner that when you move, everything moves together or at the same time. Fixtures on a skid of some sort.

But then, like you said... How much longer are you going to be doing it......

I have thought long and hard about building a bucking table. I dont handle anywhere near the volume of wood you guys do. I like to take the fel and just flip the logs on top of a pile of rounds. This keeps the wood off the ground for bucking. If I dump a load of logs on the ground, the next load I will back the trailer cross ways from the first load and dump the second load on top. Anything to keep the wood off the ground for bucking. I have also used the fel to lift one end of the logs off the ground while bucking from the other end. Once all the logs are bucked into rounds, I take the fel and push the rounds into a big pile so I can pull the splitter up beside them to split. I guess if I was splitting cords of wood all at once, I might find a better way, but a cord or two at a time, I dont think a table would help me much.

Easing back into it. Did 1/4 cord yesterday, 1/2 a cord today. Several Oak logs that were dead, were dried out and felt like pine. Junk that I can't sell. Filled two rowpacs with them. I still cut/split them. Tomorrow they'll get palletized, and I'll burn them this winter. Photo is one of the junk logs. Past few days have been hot, even in the shade.IMG_4791.jpg
IMG_4789.jpg

Got a good start today, emptied 3 1/2 row pac boxes, filled another with junk splits, then the saw needed refueling. Starts and dies, no throttle. Third tank of fuel since new carb. Did 1/8 cord of productive work is all today. Covered some pallets and placed them. Then got in the log pile with the fork lift... and scattered it all over. Go figure... Sometimes it does that when you back out. I had a load, but one log was only on one fork and dumped them all. Then it is on and off the lift depending. Called the saw shop. Said sometimes new carbs need tweaking. That will make another two trips to the shop, twenty miles each way (80 total), for the third time. 357XP. Wait and see what it does in the morning, but it sounds like a road trip. It hit 88*, thunder storms moving in later, so very humid. Just didn't want to get the big dog (661) out. Maybe tomorrow.

As for mobility of the cutting bench, I built the new one so I can pick it with fork extensions from the side. I moved it to get the log trucks in, and move it to clean under a couple times a year. Had to modify the old one to be able to pick it up also. Skids would work too.
For jriders situation with odd length logs a solid deck might work better. I think cantoo is set up like that. Maybe a hay wagon or something with a sacrificial deck on one side for cutting.
Two winters ago I cut rounds in anticipation of getting the Posch and switching to pallets. Months later, the rounds were then moved to the splitter with forks.

Lots of different ways to work. For handling rounds, a pulp hook is the way to go. There is one above, in the photo of the Timberwolf splitter, post no. 22. Use a wrist action to set it, rather than an arm swing motion. Less chance of getting your leg with a glancing blow.IMG_3059.jpgIMG_3060.jpg

Did a cord today. 77* sunny, light breeze, but hot just the same.
Engine timer on the conveyor water logged and crapped out in last nights thunder storm.
The 357xp runs strong, but starts hard when warmed up, and doesn't idle down right away as it should.
This is the log pile I'm working on. It is a load from last fall, and the bark is falling off, which makes for more work. I need to process while the bark is tight.
Bottom photo: Log pile on left is done, the ones on the right are next.

IMG_4703.jpgIMG_4657.jpg

IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0197.JPG IMG_0169.JPG IMG_0171.JPG IMG_0172.JPG IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0196.JPG So today was the last day with students- half day for them but I cut out early too-not going to sit around when grades are all in and work is done. I went out and put a little time in on the wood pile. Have a half day Monday and that's it. Cutting back some on 7 days a week because well, I'm not on this planet just to work.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
3/4 cord yesterday; 1/4 today is all.
I did check out a ms362 c-m. The rack had an empty spot...the 362. It was sitting on the checkout counter. The guy let me look at it before leaving with it. He had a 25" bar on it. I'd run an 18" at most.
But there was a rub.
I bought two six packs of Stihl Ultra synthetic 2 1/2 gal mix.
They charged me for twelve individual bottles at $4.99 ea. despite there being one bar code per six pack.
Guess I'm going to check the other Stihl shop prices before opening them.
I just don't remember paying so much last time, but $5.00 ea. was a shock. $2.00/gal.
I have a six pack of Stihl non synthetic mix on the shelf that was $18.00.
And of course, price shop the 362 c-m.
Used the 661 today. It is a wonderful saw. The weight walks thru the stuff I'm cutting. But starting it every two logs is work after a while, even with one pull.

The 362 is a great saw. That's what I run with a 20" bar. That works for 99% of the logs we get. Every once in a while I get some big stuff, my brother has a big saw with a 32" bar that gets used for that.

View attachment 585377 View attachment 585378 View attachment 585379 View attachment 585380 View attachment 585381 View attachment 585382 View attachment 585377 So today was the last day with students- half day for them but I cut out early too-not going to sit around when grades are all in and work is done. I went out and put a little time in on the wood pile. Have a half day Monday and that's it. Cutting back some on 7 days a week because well, I'm not on this planet just to work.

We are having one installed... Pumps running and concrete in a few weeks.... It is nice to stop when we get to hot and jump in for a half hour or so....

IMG_0737.JPG

Back