Key way stripped on feed wheel.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I started work for this guy last week and he just got his chipper back from the shop. He had a top feed drum hyd. Motor replaced.
The motor was moving around a lot and i pointed it out to him he said the shop said the shaft was bent. I told him that didn't sound right. Even if you could bent that drum it would distroy the bearing.
So at lunch i pull the motor. Its obliging the hole were (ID)the motor shaft goes into. On closer inspection i notice the key way slot is gone inside shaft. Only two set screws are holding the motor shaft on. The hyd. Motor only was bolted in on one side so it had a lot of play the key was just spinning tell it cought on a set screw.
A side from the question how did this happen. How can this be fixed with out replacing the whole shaft.
It has two set screws, one right over key another 45 degrees around. Im thinking of tapping two more set screws and using them to true up motor shaft. So every 45 degree theres one.
The id is pretty out of round with no more key slot. Any ideas on a fix.?

I had a similar situation
not sure what chipper you are working with. In my case I have a very well used and abused morbark 200 that had plenty of room to work with. The ID was all destroyed and out of round, so I had to rig something up that was pretty ghetto but it's working for now. In the feed wheel side I drove a new keyed round stock in drilled and bolted it together then got a hydraulic coupler that went on the new round stock then coupled to the motor. It has a slight oscillation to the motor but it's workin.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back