Kill stop switch on Stihl 032?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jltrent

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 032 and it doesn't have a kill switch . I attached a single wire switch on it, but were do you attach the wire to the saw? I bought the saw used like this and was trying to put a kill switch on it. The saw does have points. Thanks for any help.

You want to connect that wire on the kill switch to the breaker points. There should be a loose wire emerging from beneath the flywheel that is currently not connected to anything. That is the wire you want to connect to the kill switch. This way, when you flip the switch to the "off" position it will close the switch connecting that wire to ground and thereby killing the coil to stop the engine.

If the wire is missing completely you'll need to remove the flywheel, which is unfortunate.
If the wire is missing completely you'll need to remove the flywheel, which is unfortunate.
I have the flywheel off and there is a wire to the coil going through the case below the muffler with a wire nut on it outside, but no sign of ever being a wire coming out other than that. I just wonder if I can hook a kill switch wire to the wire nut on the outside of the case coming from the points wire to the coil?

Put up a pic. And follow that wire....

I traded for 9 saws and this was one of em Stihl 032. It was the dirties SOG I have ever seen, looked like it was stored in a barrel of grease and I was going to throw it in the scrap heap. It has 160 compression, passed both pressure/vacuum tests, seems to have good fire I didn't see anything major wrong with it from observation, so I decided to clean it up and get it going. It probably hasn't been started in decades. I have a new Stihl 3/8 bar and chain I had laying around to mount on it if I can get it back in good shape.

FIRST PICTURE:
The two wires on the left are connected with a black wire nut. The wire nut is hard to make out in the pictures.

SECOND PICTURE:
The second picture is a wire nut under the intake boot (not the muffler I said earlier) and it is coming through the case from the points to the coil. I thought I might could connect the kill wire there. Thanks for any help.
i5pjRQ1.jpg

dVAFeFa.jpg

yByiQiJ.jpg

I have an 032 on my bench right now. I have not pulled the flywheel, but I am tempted to pull it just to see if it is the same as yours. Probably is. I'd like to see where that wire going under the condenser terminates. But so far, my guess is you could connect your kill switch wire at that wire nut and be good to go!

Back