Largest tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Specific

I figured there would be a specific tree at a specific place that is known as the largest tree that people are allowed to go climb though.

Pacific Tree Climbing Institute (PTCI) in Eugene, Oregon has a Forest Service permit to climb some 250+ foot Douglas Fir. I've climbed with them a couple of times. Great experience. They'll let you camp overnight in a "Tree Boat" if you are game.

The Redwoods of California are the tallest, but only researchers like Steve Sillett are (legally) allowed to climb them.

A PTCI climb:

View attachment 226883

View attachment 226887

Last edited:
Oh wow that is so amazing! Thank you so much! I have never gone tree climbing but it is on my things i want to do list! Now I know where to look at going!

My guess is that Gerald Beranek knows about some that may fit the bill. Like some old growth coast redwoods on privately owned land.

If I recall right, one of the largest giant Sequoia is on private land, but may be rather restrictive regarding climbing.

:msp_smile:

Edit ...

It's the STAGG TREE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagg_%28tree%29

6th largest tree in the world.

Last edited:
I figured there would be a specific tree at a specific place that is known as the largest tree that people are allowed to go climb though.

No such thing but... since you haven't learned to climb yet, just about any healthy tree is a good place to climb. The skills required to safely climb really large trees take years to develop, if you get 60' off the ground in a "small" tree you'll find yourself in a whole new world.

I talked to a climber who was on the ascent of the current tallest measured tree on the planet. Said it was pretty much a hellacious tree to climb, not much fun at all. Individual trees have personalities, unique character, some are super fun, or friendly, others kick your butt all day, has nothing to do with whether or not they're the tallest or the largest. A ridgetop tree that's only 40' tall can give you a most memorable climb and incredible views.

That's why I like tree climbing so much, I can hop into a challenging tree in my urban neighborhood and get plenty of adventure.
-AJ

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the great info! I am not planning on going out and finding the largest tree and climbing it, I was just curious. I think tree climbing would be a very beautiful thing to do! I went sky diving with my dad and we both thought the best part was being so high up and looking out at everything. We loved jumping out of the plane too but just the view was breathtaking! I live in NM but not in the pretty mountain area! All I have to climb is pump jacks! So I thought it would be a fun thing to do one of these days, take off and find a tree (and someone to help) for me and my dad. We both had shoulder surgery and I had knee surgery as well, so were not completely ready to go climbing just yet! The first thing we have to tackle is snow skiing! We have gone every year since I was 7 and that was the first year we have missed so one thing at a time!

Thanks again for the websites too! It will give me some places to start when I am ready to start looking.

Oh and one more question! My dog has done everything with me, helicopter rides, snow skiing, 4 wheeling, hunting, riding horses, etc. so has anyone taken a dog tree climbing??? I am sure ppl have! I wanna see pictures! Haha!

Back