Leaning tree tension

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Czech_Made

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am ripping oak logs these days - when I have time to get away from the honey -do-list.

The tree was partially uprooted by wind and for at least two years it was leaning against another tree. I brought it down using my jeep and a come -along. Anyway, I got 5 usable logs out of it, 100" long and 12-14" or so in diameter. I cut 4" slab, turned it and made three 4x4s, but they came of the mill bent, I believe I can make them straight 3.5x3.5 - I have a long bed jointer for that.

But here is the question: would the time the tree was leaning against another tree - say 60 degrees and supported at about 60' height - create extra tension in the log?

I am sure it did. We have a hickory tree that fell down across a gully a couple years ago and haven't gotten back to finish it off. It has sagged a couple of feet across a span of 40 to 60 feet. If I try to make lumber out of it , I would expect to cut the logs and let them sit another good while, maybe a year, before cutting them, and even then I would expect a good amount of movement. Of course it grew on a slope, so it would have tension anyway. Maybe they will cancel out.

I'm from north east Tn in the mountains, most trees I've cut have a tension side the steeper the ground they grew on seems like more tension to a point. Also kind of tree had a lot to do with it too.(hard wood or soft) softer wood bowed more after cutting and milling.

Back