Learned a good lesson today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattinky

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was fooling with a little metal bodied Homelite XL this afternoon (snowed in, nothing better to do), a non-runner I picked up a few weeks ago. I put some gas in it and it fired right up.........

only problem was that someone had robbed the clip that holds the clutch on, so the drum came off which in turn, caused the one-piece clutch to break. At wot it locked up so quickly and so violently it nearly jumped out of my hands, it slammed it so hard it broke the saw case in several spots. Luckily I had safety glasses on.

I've got another body so it's no big deal to fix it, but I just wanted to pass this on to you guys - make sure if you pick up one of these little saws that the clip is on the clutch before you try to start it and wear them safety glasses! LOL

question

i picked up a Homelite XL - 101 at a garage sale -$15 . Its intact and appears worthy of cleaning up and servicing . I checked the clutch on this model and it has no clip . No apparent groove for one either . Do you happen to know if it's missing something or simply relies on the tightening torque and left hand threads to retain it ? Haven't got around to taking a real close look at this saw yet as my current project is an old Poulan .

Thanks for the heads up on this and glad you didn't get hurt .

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Homelite only used the E-clip on the little XL/XL-2/Super 2's, etc.... I'm almost sure it screws on on your 101. Nice find on the 101 btw.

I did something like that once when i fixed my xl, straight forgot to put the drum back on, luckily it had the spring type and i had just started it while it was on the ground, but, whop, she flung off...didn't hurt anything and I'm still using the same clutch to this day. Actually cut down three smaller sized trees with it this afternoon. Great little saw.

I had a clutch blow apart after I modded my 260. I am going to do a better inspection on any future rebuilds. It made a violent sound and then the engine took off to a stupid rpm. I wear safety glasses when I work on anything or run anything. If I had a dollar for everything that has hit my glasses I would be rich.

Yup, I found that one out the hard way also. I flung clutch parts all over the yard, but I didn't shrapnel myself or anyone else (lucky!). Extensive use of a big magnet and I was back in business the next day.

The other one that can really lead to some damage is leaving a loose flywheel or ignition. POW!

Back