Husky 540xp mk3 rear handle thoughts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjohnson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently picked up a husky 540xp mk3 rear handle and have been getting a few questions so thought I'd share a few thoughts or answer questions. Keep in mind I'm pushing 70 and cut wood to heat my cabin, using the least amount of energy possible. If I was younger, stronger and cutting professionally for money my needs and thoughts would be different. I've made it 69 years and never owned a husky always a Stihl fan.

I was looking for a smaller pro saw for limbing and cutting up the smaller wood. I didn't need a 550xp or 261 Stihl wanted to keep it as small as possible yet have some performance.

I found the saw at the local dealer had the .325 low profile and extra chain was the Oregon speed cut nano, other option is 3/8 low profile. I had no preference so went with the .325 as dealer recommended most people prefer it. I will say first thing I noticed was how smooth it cuts, no chattering very smooth running saw.

The thing sips fuel, seem to run for ever on a tank of gas.

Starting is different for the mk3 auto tune as I understand it. You have on and off, no choke. Pull the start switch out and up puts it in the fast idle position. The mk3 auto tune will set the choke as required for temperature. Just pull the rope it starts and runs, no more pull till it pops and take choke off. Very nice really like this,

All and all I'm very impressed and happy with this little saw. It fits my needs perfectly. Sure is nice to go out and cut all afternoon and not have the saw wear you out. I still need the big saw for big wood but it rips thru the smaller stuff. If your looking at one or have any questions or own one ask away.

Did you notice the H21 chain has necked down drive links and a bit larger cutters than the 80txl with just flat stock for the drive links?

Maybe someone who has had the 339xp can comment as to what they think that was the last rear handle Husky made with this layout. It had a metal clutch cover with two pegs and the bar stud between them. This is a defect here. I notice the 339xp was rated for 1.8kw and up to 18 inch bar running .325nk not this mini .325 stuff. The air and debris separation was severely lacking there.

I have also noticed that the chain seems to tilt pretty easily in the bar groove after not much use. Kind of tiny drive links perhaps? I read the Oregon literature, and I don't see them stating the speed cut nano bars as the glued up variety. My bar is of course the one that comes stock.

It is kind of long from the bucking spike to the end of the rear handle at least for what else I have in this weight class.

Latest posts

Back