New 40cc saw guidance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamby66

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,
I currently am running 2 saws I am looking for a middle ground saw. I have a 362CM that wears a 24" tsumara and a CS2511t for smaller stuff. I would like to get a light 40ish rear handle to fill the gap between the 2.

The two saws I am really interested in are the echo CS-3510 and the new husky 540XP Mk 3

My concerns. The 2511t is a very finicky saw. It ran like crap out of the box and I was able to adjust the carb to make it run but required the purchase of a tach as I could not get it to "4 stroke" out of the cut (rev limiter maybe) when the temps swing by 60-70 degrees the saw needs to be adjusted (I am getting the feel of what I need to do without the tach, but its still annoying). I HATE the fuel and oil caps on this saw!! I also dont like the fact echo has odd length chains (always one tooth longer than the other saws). Other than those, The saw is AMAZING!! what it can do for its weight is wonderful.

My Stihl is great for larger stuff but gets heavy after a while, especially for limbing where I am twisting it around all the time. The M-tronic system has worked FLAWLESS. The saw starts easy and runs great no matter the conditions. I just move the heat door and get to work. If Stihl made a reasonably priced light weight 40cc pro saw I would be very interest in that.. I am not willing to pay over $800 for a heavier ms201c though.

So here is where I need help..
I have never used a husky with autotune. Not sure how well it works or how reliable it is (especially since this is a new saw) I would love the extra power and the listed 2.6hp at 9lbs sounds very appealing to me. I love the Husky caps. I think they are the best you can get. I know the brand and love their older saws.

The Cs-3510, I would guess I would have the same lean/stalling condition the 2511 had when new. But that weight of only 8.2 pounds and 2.1HP is quite nice as well, and it has those terrible caps again.

The big issue is price. I am not a money is no object kind of guy, but I will spend money on value. The echo is UNDER HALF the price of the husky ($639 to $299). I want this to be my last saw in this class. I am over 50 now and don't have a want for a 70cc/50/30cc combo like I was looking at a couple years back.. I think a 60/40/30 would fit my older body's needs better.

I maybe use ALL of my saws 30-40 hours a year. I would like to think this saw would be used in all my cutting scenarios my 362 and the new saw for larger jobs and the new saw and my 2511 for smaller jobs.

What do you guys think? any guidance would be helpful

Can't help a lot. I've got an Echo CS-352 which pre-dated the 3510. Like it and use it a lot. No issues.
Never run a Husky so no comment.
I do agree on Echo's goofy chain lengths!

Make your premix in a no spill container with the button to dispense the liquid. Hold the nozzle thing in as far as it will go and press the button. Then those echo caps at least the ones on my 361p become the best caps. The cap is a cap more than a plug. Admittedly the string thing that keeps them hanging on is minimal. They have a screwdriver spot in the middle to help if needed. Punch a small hole in the glue on cover under the screw on cover of the bar oil.

Maybe some echo bars need different lengths of chain than most common. The 57 drive link 3/8lp bar that came with the 361p lays exactly on another bar I always use 56 for and 56 dl chain fits on just fine.

You are calling a 34.4cc saw 40cc class. How about the 543 Husky it is at close out pricing and at 43 or there abouts is actually closer to 40.

It looks to me the 540 model 3 has 4 part numbers for a whole saw. 2 with the mini .325 chain and 2 with 3/8lp. Is that what you see? The part sheet isn't on their site yet and I would expect the mini .325 is what will be easiest to get..

Hello all,
I currently am running 2 saws I am looking for a middle ground saw. I have a 362CM that wears a 24" tsumara and a CS2511t for smaller stuff. I would like to get a light 40ish rear handle to fill the gap between the 2.

The two saws I am really interested in are the echo CS-3510 and the new husky 540XP Mk 3

My concerns. The 2511t is a very finicky saw. It ran like crap out of the box and I was able to adjust the carb to make it run but required the purchase of a tach as I could not get it to "4 stroke" out of the cut (rev limiter maybe) when the temps swing by 60-70 degrees the saw needs to be adjusted (I am getting the feel of what I need to do without the tach, but its still annoying). I HATE the fuel and oil caps on this saw!! I also dont like the fact echo has odd length chains (always one tooth longer than the other saws). Other than those, The saw is AMAZING!! what it can do for its weight is wonderful.

My Stihl is great for larger stuff but gets heavy after a while, especially for limbing where I am twisting it around all the time. The M-tronic system has worked FLAWLESS. The saw starts easy and runs great no matter the conditions. I just move the heat door and get to work. If Stihl made a reasonably priced light weight 40cc pro saw I would be very interest in that.. I am not willing to pay over $800 for a heavier ms201c though.

So here is where I need help..
I have never used a husky with autotune. Not sure how well it works or how reliable it is (especially since this is a new saw) I would love the extra power and the listed 2.6hp at 9lbs sounds very appealing to me. I love the Husky caps. I think they are the best you can get. I know the brand and love their older saws.

The Cs-3510, I would guess I would have the same lean/stalling condition the 2511 had when new. But that weight of only 8.2 pounds and 2.1HP is quite nice as well, and it has those terrible caps again.

The big issue is price. I am not a money is no object kind of guy, but I will spend money on value. The echo is UNDER HALF the price of the husky ($639 to $299). I want this to be my last saw in this class. I am over 50 now and don't have a want for a 70cc/50/30cc combo like I was looking at a couple years back.. I think a 60/40/30 would fit my older body's needs better.

I maybe use ALL of my saws 30-40 hours a year. I would like to think this saw would be used in all my cutting scenarios my 362 and the new saw for larger jobs and the new saw and my 2511 for smaller jobs.

What do you guys think? any guidance would be helpful
You're comparing apples and oranges with the Echo and Husky. The CS-3510 is a consumer saw built for low to moderate use. The 540XP MK III is a pro grade small saw meant to be run all day by tree care folks. The Husky is far better built, more powerful, more sophisticated and packs more technology. In short, the Husky costs twice as much because it's nearly twice the saw.

If cost is an issue but you want lightweight and something around 9 pounds I'd take a strong look at the Echo CS-4010 which comes in at $329, has a 42cc engine and weighs only 9.4 pounds: https://www.echo-usa.com/chainsaws/cs-4010
This saw is a better option for your needs in the Echo lineup and can cover most tasks. Its a recent replacement for the CS-400 and fairly new to market.

Make your premix in a no spill container with the button to dispense the liquid. Hold the nozzle thing in as far as it will go and press the button. Then those echo caps at least the ones on my 361p become the best caps. The cap is a cap more than a plug. Admittedly the string thing that keeps them hanging on is minimal. They have a screwdriver spot in the middle to help if needed. Punch a small hole in the glue on cover under the screw on cover of the bar oil.

Thanks for reaching out... The CS2511 has a different cap than you are describing. filling is not a problem. The caps seem to tighten up with temperature change and are a pain to get off (no leverage). The manual says you can use the starter pull handle for more leverage (which I pretty much have to do at least 1/2 the time). I did that once and started the saw on accident with the fuel cap off and oil still on, and I did not pull it that fast.
Maybe some echo bars need different lengths of chain than most common. The 57 drive link 3/8lp bar that came with the 361p lays exactly on another bar I always use 56 for and 56 dl chain fits on just fine.
I would be using a 3/8LP. The stock oregon chain from echo on the 2511 SUCKS BIG TIME! it chatters and skips like MAD. I like Stihl chains and for that one its easy to find 56t but not 57t I have not looked at modifying the stock bar, but the 56 will not fit. I did find a couple stihl 57t 63PM chains and that is what I run, but I would like to use a stihl pico duro carbide chain for when I stump cutting buckthorn and the like. those seem to only come in 56t
You are calling a 34.4cc saw 40cc class. How about the 543 Husky it is at close out pricing and at 43 or there abouts is actually closer to 40.

It looks to me the 540 model 3 has 4 part numbers for a whole saw. 2 with the mini .325 chain and 2 with 3/8lp. Is that what you see? The part sheet isn't on their site yet and I would expect the mini .325 is what will be easiest to get..
I would not use the .325 mini.. to fragile for me. 3/8LP 16" I have heard nothing but bad about the consumer husky saws aka the 543 (most of the homeowners I deal with run consumer stihls though) and now I am looking at a 10lb machine. I really want to stay at or below 9

You're comparing apples and oranges with the Echo and Husky. The CS-3510 is a consumer saw built for low to moderate use. The 540XP MK III is a pro grade small saw meant to be run all day by tree care folks. The Husky is far better built, more powerful, more sophisticated and packs more technology. In short, the Husky costs twice as much because it's nearly twice the saw.
This is what I willing to spend more money on and would like to get more information about this saw. reading forums it seems the older generation t540xp saws were major problem cases (leaking cases, not starting when warm). Even the local echo dealer made a comment about "the echos do not have autotune which is a blessing for many". That scared me. I said my Stihl m-tronic saw has been awesome. He then said "autotune results may vary, it may be great, it may need many tweeks to run right." also VERY SCARY.
If cost is an issue but you want lightweight and something around 9 pounds I'd take a strong look at the Echo CS-4010 which comes in at $329, has a 42cc engine and weighs only 9.4 pounds: https://www.echo-usa.com/chainsaws/cs-4010
This saw is a better option for your needs in the Echo lineup and can cover most tasks. Its a recent replacement for the CS-400 and fairly new to market.
I appreciate this. I looked at the specs.. its 15% heavier but has 25% more power than the 3510. :) It seems the 4010 is VERY close to the specs for the 540XP (the xp beats it by .2lbs) The echo has a 5year warranty, and the Husky only has a 2 unless I buy some WAY overpriced fuel. (its a chainsaw, and really there is nothing in it I cant fix myself, but I cant tune the autotune carb) and is again twice as much.

Is the Husky twice as good as the echo? That is the apples to oranges question.

The 543xp isn't a consumer grade saw, its a pro model. I have the zenoah/redmax branded version. Quite a capable saw for its displacement, I'd be waiting for the newer version or getting the 540xp.
Idk what your dealer is getting at with autotune issues, they have been very reliable for years now, every bit as m-tronic, which had plenty of issues of its own over the years.
I have recently gotten to run a cs400 echo helping a friend out. I couldn't really complain about it, decent power, ok on fuel. Readily started and ran well for the day. It would have been interesting to have my zenoah with to compare, but I had my ms192tc with, and left the zenoah at home.

I have the Echo cs3510 and it's a good saw. I almost bought a 543xp this summer but decided to get a 550xp. I'll probably sell a few saws in spring and pick up the 543xp mk3.
I swapped out the Echo b&c for Oregon s56 b&c and I had to get rid of the stater handle also. I replaced it with one that is shaped like my Stihl's and Husqvarna's.
IMHO the Husky is easily worth twice the price of the Echo.

I appreciate this. I looked at the specs.. its 15% heavier but has 25% more power than the 3510. :) It seems the 4010 is VERY close to the specs for the 540XP (the xp beats it by .2lbs) The echo has a 5year warranty, and the Husky only has a 2 unless I buy some WAY overpriced fuel. (its a chainsaw, and really there is nothing in it I cant fix myself, but I cant tune the autotune carb) and is again twice as much.

Is the Husky twice as good as the echo? That is the apples to oranges question.
For your needs probably not. I own Husqvarna and Echo equipment and like both brands and they both have their place. However, the 540xp mk III is a true pro saw with a full metal split case. It's intended for hundreds of house of professional use. The Echo has a plastic chassis with the engine sitting inside. If you're asking about the differences it's probably overkill for your needs.

What would I buy? The 540xp mk III, but I'm the type of guy who wants the best and keeps saws for decades. I have an Echo from the early 1980's I still use. I also have some new autotune Husky's. The Husky is a great saw that will work in all conditions and has the Autotune. It's the latest and greatest saw in this size class. However, the CS-4010 will do virtually the same job at a much lower price point and hold up OK with careful use.

Probably need to go and handle both to get a feel for the true difference. Quality is not something that's easy to see in pictures or specs.

Buy a 543xp Husqvarna. It is as reliable as it gets. MM it and you will love it. Mine runs a 16 bar .325 chain. It has a adjustable oiler.
In this case, I think I would be better off with the 540XP Mark 3.. The price difference is not that great and I can save one lb and not loose much power
For your needs probably not. I own Husqvarna and Echo equipment and like both brands and they both have their place. However, the 540xp mk III is a true pro saw with a full metal split case. It's intended for hundreds of house of professional use. The Echo has a plastic chassis with the engine sitting inside. If you're asking about the differences it's probably overkill for your needs.
You might be right on this point, But..... (see below)
What would I buy? The 540xp mk III, but I'm the type of guy who wants the best and keeps saws for decades. I have an Echo from the early 1980's I still use. I also have some new autotune Husky's. The Husky is a great saw that will work in all conditions and has the Autotune. It's the latest and greatest saw in this size class. However, the CS-4010 will do virtually the same job at a much lower price point and hold up OK with careful use.
This is where I am, I am a fan of "buy once, cry once". Buying the best item I can, EXPECTING it to last longer and be better than the cheaper option. Now that said, I have have bought "disposable" items that just won't die so the jury is out on that logic as well. I would hope that this would be my last saw (in this class) I will ever need
Probably need to go and handle both to get a feel for the true difference. Quality is not something that's easy to see in pictures or specs.
That is MUCH harder than stated. Need to find them both at a brick and mortar (much less at the same place) and find a dealer that will unlock them for you yo even feel them can be an issue at some places

By all means be the first one on here to get and discuss with pictures the 540mkIII. The Echo equivalent would be the 361P in the sense of cylinder orientation and exhaust direction. It has more advanced cylinder coating and ignition curve than your 3510 option.

Wait and see what else comes along is another option.

In this case, I think I would be better off with the 540XP Mark 3.. The price difference is not that great and I can save one lb and not loose much power

You might be right on this point, But..... (see below)

This is where I am, I am a fan of "buy once, cry once". Buying the best item I can, EXPECTING it to last longer and be better than the cheaper option. Now that said, I have have bought "disposable" items that just won't die so the jury is out on that logic as well. I would hope that this would be my last saw (in this class) I will ever need

That is MUCH harder than stated. Need to find them both at a brick and mortar (much less at the same place) and find a dealer that will unlock them for you yo even feel them can be an issue at some places
It sounds like you're looking for justification for the 540xp MKIII. In that case, you should just go ahead and get it when it goes on sale. Husky has 15-20% deals at retailers that pop up seasonally on saws.

I can tell you right now if you handle both you're not going to be impressed with the Echo.

Also, buy the gallon of their Husky gas to get the 5 year warranty. For $27 it's a no brainer. You can register the saw on their website or the dealer can do it.

Lastly, 10 years from now people will still want that Husky saw and probably will pay well for it. The small and discontinued Stihl MS241 still brings big money when a clean one pops up for sale. The 540XP rear handle won't be a big seller in the US given the price-so they'll be sought after when they disappear. Most pros will probably get a top handle 540xp in the US.

By all means be the first one on here to get and discuss with pictures the 540mkIII. The Echo equivalent would be the 361P in the sense of cylinder orientation and exhaust direction. It has more advanced cylinder coating and ignition curve than your 3510 option.

Wait and see what else comes along is another option.
I read that the 4 digit echo saws 2511, 3510, 4010 are the pro saws and the 3 digit saws are the consumer saws. Is that not correct?

I see now there are more saws that the 2 I originally posted that might fit the bill (and maybe better), but most are heavier than the 9lbs I originally used for a reference. At some point, it might as well just use the 13lb MS362 (prob 17lbs or more with the bar/chain on)

If you wait long enough, I am sure something else would come out. I just wish I could get a new MS200c for $550 or a lightly used MS241 for sub $300 and this debate would not have happened... I would have a light weight Stihl

I read that the 4 digit echo saws 2511, 3510, 4010 are the pro saws and the 3 digit saws are the consumer saws. Is that not correct?
No, the four digit code is their new product naming scheme. It does not designate quality or capability. The older designs are three digit codes.

Pro saws are generally designated by the letter "P" at the end of the number AND are part of the "X Series." Currently, there are only a handful of rear handle pro saws that carry the X-Series designation:

1. CS-2511P/PW
  2. CS-501P
  3. CS-620P/PW
  4. CS-7310P/PW
Honestly, anything pro-grade with a magnesium case and top shelf parts is going to start at around $500 from Echo. If it costs much less than that its definitely not going to be pro-grade.

The only issue I have had with AutoTune on my Husky 550XP MK 2 was when I switched from pump gas to 95 octane Sunoco non E fuel. It took the saw about 10 minutes to what I would call " recalibrate". I need to check out a 540 XP.

No, the four digit code is their new product naming scheme. It does not designate quality or capability. The older designs are three digit codes.

Pro saws are generally designated by the letter "P" at the end of the number AND are part of the "X Series." Currently, there are only a handful of rear handle pro saws that carry the X-Series designation:

1. CS-2511P/PW
  2. CS-501P
  3. CS-620P/PW
  4. CS-7310P/PW
Honestly, anything pro-grade with a magnesium case and top shelf parts is going to start at around $500 from Echo. If it costs much less than that its definitely not going to be pro-grade.
I'd add the CS-355T and 361P to that list. Maybe not quite up to Stihl MS 200 performance, but far better than consumer grade.

I'd add the CS-355T and 361P to that list. Maybe not quite up to Stihl MS 200 performance, but far better than consumer grade.
Echo does not consider them to be part of their premium pro/x-series line. The list is from Echo -not defined by me.

The CS-355T is a top handle saw and that Echo list was for rear handle saws.

If you wait long enough, I am sure something else would come out. I just wish I could get a new MS200c for $550 or a lightly used MS241 for sub $300 and this debate would not have happened... I would have a light weight Stihl
You currently have a Stihl and an Echo. If your favorite dealer handles Husky, Stihl and Echo, your choices are vast.
If not, I would first consider going with the brand where you have the best service, Stihl or Echo.
I respect your naming the MS200 and MS241. But they are not easily found and tend to be expensive.
You might consider a Stihl 011 or 012 in decent shape (if you can find one), they punch above their weight class, are almost prof quality, and have AV and electronic ignition. There are still a number of these saws around that were bought with good intentions and are barely used, and they surface now and again.
Good luck and keep us posted as we want something to blog about during the holidays...

You currently have a Stihl and an Echo. If your favorite dealer handles Husky, Stihl and Echo, your choices are vast.
If not, I would first consider going with the brand where you have the best service, Stihl or Echo.
I respect your naming the MS200 and MS241. But they are not easily found and tend to be expensive.
You might consider a Stihl 011 or 012 in decent shape (if you can find one), they punch above their weight class, are almost prof quality, and have AV and electronic ignition. There are still a number of these saws around that were bought with good intentions and are barely used, and they surface now and again.
Good luck and keep us posted as we want something to blog about during the holidays...
I have never used dealer support other than buying parts and that has only been for my older saws. I don't like Stihls business model though for new saws (My 362 was bought used)

My Stihl dealer ONLY carries Stihl and the Echo dealer is a Farm supply chain. the local Husky Dealer only sells Husky and the 540xp would need to be ordered.

Whats funny is I had a 011AV that I sold after I bought the 2511t. It weighed almost as much as my 362 (PHO) and was constantly needing to be tweeked. That saw was a BEOOOOOCH to start half the time. When it ran, it cut very well but not worth the headaches of having to adjust it every time I wanted to use it. I am still open to options but really am leaning towards the 540xp.

Latest posts

Back