Let's see your tomatoes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
20150626_112450.jpg
20150626_112401.jpg
20150626_112409.jpg
We grow mostly Brandywine heirloom tomatoes. We get 3.50 a pound for them. Sold 250 pounds last week at the farmers market. We put a shade cloth on the hoop house. Keeps the temps down. Really makes a big difference in the quality of the tomatoes. In fact we are going to buy another one next year to block some of the morning sun. The plants and tomatoes are bigger under the shade cloth..

View attachment 438082 View attachment 438083 View attachment 438085 We grow mostly Brandywine heirloom tomatoes. We get 3.50 a pound for them. Sold 250 pounds last week at the farmers market. We put a shade cloth on the hoop house. Keeps the temps down. Really makes a big difference in the quality of the tomatoes. In fact we are going to buy another one next year to block some of the morning sun. The plants and tomatoes are bigger under the shade cloth..
Nice, 066.

We grow a few heirlooms, Mortgage Lifter, and Amana Orange mostly. The fruits weigh about one pound each, and we sell them at our store and local farmers markets for two dollars a pound.
View attachment 439963
Nice awol. Makes me wanna 'mater sandwich with mayo and a good shot of pepper.

Second year doing raised beds. Never ever had them grow over a couple feet tall in the open garden but I have them well over 6 feet tall even after the deer ate the tops out this year They did the same last year too.

The chain link fence is 5 foot tall and does keep the deer out but the electric fence works too. First time in 30years I have had trouble with deer in the gardens.

I think next year I am going to learn to prune them and keep them shorter. Hard to keep them upright being this tall even when I use a 6 foot stakeing system the wind has blowen them over.

:D Al

Little late but tomato trellis trick concrete wire with the big holes bend it into a round and wire that together drive wooden stakes around that and I've never had my tomato plants go down it comes 5 ft high just cut it with a torch or grinder you have to fight them but they last indefinate

Little late but tomato trellis trick concrete wire with the big holes bend it into a round and wire that together drive wooden stakes around that and I've never had my tomato plants go down it comes 5 ft high just cut it with a torch or grinder you have to fight them but they last indefinate

That's what I use but I cut it with bolt cutters. I find I get about ten years on them and the ends that touch the ground rust badly but that only shortens them by six inches.

5 feet don't cut the mustard when the plants are over 7 feet tall that is 2 feet taller than your 5 foot wire.

Going to learn to prune.

Sound like nice plants I've never measured mine but I let em go they stay off the ground anyhow even if they droop over the top I've never pruned just being nosey you in full sun?

Well maybe this spring summer you could show some pictures I usually grow about a dozen celebrity tomatoes type. They seem to stand well in my cages and do get tall always try a couple two three diffrent variety a well I'll prune one too just to see how that variety responds be a while it's bout twenty degree here

You guy's have some beautiful tomato plants, I have been growing some brandy wines for three years, and they seem to do pretty good, I can also get them up to about 7' before they fold over, but they still grow a big tomato that will fit a slice of bread, but they just don't bear many per plant.

Wish I could do pictures like you guys.

Posting pictures are as easy as falling off a log.
Go to photobucket.com and open a free account. Once you have the account just up load your pictures there. Once you have your pictures there you can click on the picture and it will go to a single large picture then scroll down and there is a menu on the right with the last being img. Copy that and then paste it on the web where you want people to see the picture.

Well I guess I need to buy a camera and try to get my daughter to show me how to use it.

We are planting our tomato seeds this evening, indoors of course. They will be about one foot tall or so when planted out around May 1st. We start in small 4 cell packs then transplant up to a pint sized pot then on to quart sized and then outdoors.

My neighbor up the road does the same thing, that is where I get my plants from, which makes them about a foot or so tall when I get them. He sets about 60 to 75 plants a year in the rotten cow manure he gets from me. (he also sets mine for me) I like the brandy wines myself.

Over the past few years I've switched over to Russian and Ukrainian cultivars since they taste better and are generally far more resilient and higher yield than locally available ones.
I am presently waiting for a batch of seeds of some little known cultivars such as Kosmonaut Volkov to arrive so I can have the plants ready for transplant in late April/early May. They should be here any day (hopefully). You never know with shipping from Eastern Europe. ;)

In the past I've tried raising Brandywines but met with little success. I've also planted Lebanese tomatoes (Omar) for a couple here but, plainly put, the weather here is not hot enough for them and they don't grow big enough. I ended up giving the seeds I had saved to a friend who moved to Uruguay.

Over the past few years I've switched over to Russian and Ukrainian cultivars since they taste better and are generally far more resilient and higher yield than locally available ones.
I am presently waiting for a batch of seeds of some little known cultivars such as Kosmonaut Volkov to arrive so I can have the plants ready for transplant in late April/early May. They should be here any day (hopefully). You never know with shipping from Eastern Europe. ;)

In the past I've tried raising Brandywines but met with little success. I've also planted Lebanese tomatoes (Omar) for a couple here but, plainly put, the weather here is not hot enough for them and they don't grow big enough. I ended up giving the seeds I had saved to a friend who moved to Uruguay.

if you get a chance post up some pix of those 'big' European tomatoes... never have seen a Kosmonaut Volkov tomato. oic... Kosmonaut... cosmonaut... astronaut... took me a 2nd glace to catch that... imagine that! interesting post; all the way from Europe...

well, I had to check him out... year in space station and 3 space walks.... sounds scary to me! lol... found quite a few images of 'your' Kosmonaut Volkov tomato:

Kosmonaut Volkov Tomato

Kosmonaut Volkov.jpg

Latest posts

Back