Log Arch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone figured out the purpose of the tubular post clamps?? Why not just weld the post that holds the winch to the frame and brace it towards the back? I might be missing something ...DOH

It says right in the article guys. Could be easily remedied though with proper positioning.

"Because the winch needs clearance for its crank handle, it's bolted to a tubular post, which in turn is clamped to the carriage frame cross member."

Been a couple of weeks...Where are everyones pictures? I want to make one too!

The question was

Why go to the trouble of making clamps. Youve got a square tube..use a square tube for the upright and weld it. The clamsps just complicate things in my mind.

I have the steel all cut out. I need to buy the axles from northern and I will have all the material I need to complete one.

Too many projects and too little time. Im playing catch up on my farm in TN after major surgery last year.

I am coming into this late in the game so forgive me if I miss something.

Do you want to build this log arch for just on the farm use? Or are you planning to tow the log down the highway? If it were the latter, would a simple light bar on the end of the log qualify as legal in most states? The reason I ask this is I have access to a log arch that was built 50 years ago to handle 42” logs. The owner of it tells of bootlegging a pair of 12”x 24” 60’ bridge beams back from the coast (100 miles) by strapping the front of the beams to the frame of the dump truck that was towing the arch. Mind you, this was a couple of decades ago.

I my self have use for one for the purpose of picking up a choice log now and then and driving it home. If making it street legal is an option, even adding eclectic brakes and a light bar on the end of the log if necessary, it would be a lot easier then loading a log onto a high deck. As well as the fact that my half-ton truck gets a whole lot better gas mileage then either my big gas guzzling boom truck, of the one-ton crew cab with a 460 that cannot pass up a gas station.

Thanks for letting me in here I hope that I am not :deadhorse:

My use will be local

On the farm and maybe in the same county as my farm. I dont plan to add lights or brakes although that would be really nice. My 74 CJ will do most of the pulling along with my Artic Cat 4WD.

Ive got the whole thing laid out..I need to finish a cart for my new MIG and plasma cutter first. Ive just got too many irons in the fire.

If anyone gets one finished post pics. Will be very interesting

Log Arch PDF

I dont think Mother will mind. They were gracious in sending me the picture in a size where you could read it. (The article is posted on their website too but you cant read the picture there.)

Thanks for combining it. Ive got is saved. Ive got the free Adobe Reader and it wont let me do a whole lot.

Why go to the trouble of making clamps. Youve got a square tube..use a square tube for the upright and weld it. The clamsps just complicate things in my mind.

I have the steel all cut out. I need to buy the axles from northern and I will have all the material I need to complete one.

Too many projects and too little time. Im playing catch up on my farm in TN after major surgery last year.

I have most of the steel gathered for mine. I realized last week that I don't even need to buy wheels and tires. I have a large barbecue trailer that only gets moved every few months, so I robbed the wheels and tires from that...

I hope to start welding in a few weeks.

Where in NC are ya 2fatguys??

Im pretty close to Asheville..about 17 miles east. My farm is in E TN.

Did you notice the one for sale in the classified's

LOGGING ARCH for draft horses

http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=666&cat=13

DSCF0562.JPG

Now if I only had horses...Think I could hook the boys up to this?

attachment.php

or the moose I saw last week out at the woodlot?

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back