Log arch behind a walk behind tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camel2019

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Around here the woods are tight and using a tractor in them is not easy. So what I’m thinking is build a log arch/sulky seat and a log dolly for the other end to wheel the logs out of the wood lot with a walk behind tractor.

im all for enginuity, but...

logs do wild **** when being dragged, defying physics and gravity

so take a thought and consider using a winch instead
Building a winch with what I have on hand is not really an option(would need a manual trans and a truck rear end that would need to be shortened) and cable ain’t cheap. this would be used a a few times to get the logs I need to mill some lumber up.

If you aren’t working on flat ground, you should think of something different. A log and gravity can easily overcome a walk-behind. Bad enough with only one end elevated. Both ends raised raises the risks IMO.

Ron
Essex county(Ontario)is flat as a board not much for hills or the like only time you see stuff like that is when it’s man made.

Might just be the cat's meow for you - so long as you don't have to stop quickly.

Ron
Lol yes and no it’s a boring drive. I bought my Stihl 08s in a town called acton Ontario and from the major highway to town you drop a good bit in elevation was very different for me but it’s mostly softwoods up there down here it’s carolinian forest mix. not much for wood lots last time I checked it was 15% and probably 50% of it is conservation land.

Something like this but I need 16 to 17 foot logs mainly pine and spruce.

well... I've seen dumber things...

perhaps a shorter "arch" section, to that its only suspending one end and dragging the other, full suspension of a 16' log with any sort of girth is verrrrry heavy.

As for design, keep the lift point infront of the arch tires, so that it pushes down on the "tractor" rather then lifting the whole mess up, the more forward the more weight on the drive tires but also... more weight on something not meant to carry that much weight.

As for making it ride on, steering it is going to be the hardest thing, but also they can and will tip over in a corner (the arch that is) so be careful.

In reality an electric winch is like $400. Less through Hazard Freight or kanukistan Tyre, a 9 ton or better will do ya, it will be slow, but it will work with just about any vehicle, get that and a snatch block or 2 for redirection and or force multiplying and you can move the world... eventually.

well... I've seen dumber things...

perhaps a shorter "arch" section, to that its only suspending one end and dragging the other, full suspension of a 16' log with any sort of girth is verrrrry heavy.

As for design, keep the lift point infront of the arch tires, so that it pushes down on the "tractor" rather then lifting the whole mess up, the more forward the more weight on the drive tires but also... more weight on something not meant to carry that much weight.

As for making it ride on, steering it is going to be the hardest thing, but also they can and will tip over in a corner (the arch that is) so be careful.

In reality an electric winch is like $400. Less through Hazard Freight or kanukistan Tyre, a 9 ton or better will do ya, it will be slow, but it will work with just about any vehicle, get that and a snatch block or 2 for redirection and or force multiplying and you can move the world... eventually.
My thought was the arch on one side and low dolly on the other. I will need to look at some lots and talk to the owners before building anything but I have the steel here to build an arch would need some axle stubs or something along those lines(caravan rear axle or a decent size trailer axle). Most of my stuff is built from junk I have lots of tubing don’t have lots of money to spend especially when I’m trying to save for some acreage.

Why not hook two of the two-wheel tractors together, and have a four wheel tractor??
ejyyQFU.jpg

Make sure the front one has the steering brakes\
(the one with flames has steering brakes,,)

If you run duals, maybe only one tractor is needed,, this one is only 8HP,,
sbYMD8c.jpg

Put a heavy blade on the front, that will help with traction,,
r2353IF.jpg

I usually buy these things by the trailer load,,
KTtu7nk.jpg

Why not hook two of the two-wheel tractors together, and have a four wheel tractor??
ejyyQFU.jpg

Make sure the front one has the steering brakes\
(the one with flames has steering brakes,,)

If you run duals, maybe only one tractor is needed,, this one is only 8HP,,
sbYMD8c.jpg

Put a heavy blade on the front, that will help with traction,,
r2353IF.jpg

I usually buy these things by the trailer load,,
KTtu7nk.jpg
They can still be had for a song and a dance lots of them around here guess it was easier and cheaper then horses or mules.

For those wondering an 18,000 pound(9ton) winch is around $1000 or more here in Canada. If I had small engine a 3 or 4 speed manual transmission and a way to shorten a rear end I could make a winch that could lock into the 5th wheel rails on my truck.

I had a Gravely, with the optional dual wheels with Ag style tires and the optional low range gearing. I had a home-built yard trailer/sulky. It worked great with the rotary mower or sickle bar attachments. Not so much with the rotary plow or snowblower attachments. There were no brakes (maybe later models have them?) No question it was a torquey little thing, and might well work on fairly level ground, but I don't think it has sufficient weight to pull a log up any significant incline. I think the wheels will just start spinning.

That trailer (sans seat) transitioned to the Deere GT262 garden tractor that replaced the Gravely. I added a little 1200lb winch to the little 262 for self-rescue after getting stuck a couple of times blowing snow on hills. I later used that winch to lift one end and drag 9x7 timbers to build a retaining wall with the tractor, and my son still uses it to drag similar sized logs out of his bush and up a hill behind his house for processing into firewood.

I don't think the Deere has any more torque than the Gravely did. The difference is in weight, and how it is distributed. The garden tractor has more weight to start, then the operator's weight is applied. A significant portion of that weight is bearing on the front axle. Lifting one end of the log applies a lot of it's weight to the drive wheels, aiding traction, but there is still sufficient weight on the front axle to counter-balance. Plus the Deere has brakes. And one end of the log is still on the ground.

The Gravely has much of the tractor's weight behind the single axle, so as to be fairly balanced when an attachment is installed on the front. Adding more downward force to the rear just lifts the front up as the hitch hits the ground. I learned to load that little yard trailer/sulky carefully -- too much weight at the front of the trailer lifted the Gravely's nose. Too much weight at the rear of the trailer levered weight (and traction) off the Gravely's drive wheels. I also learned to park it carefully -- the Gravely had no brakes. This could become an issue if you got the log partway up a hill and lost traction.

So, if your entire route is flat, I'd give it a whirl. At worst, the Gravely lacks sufficient traction to pull the log. But I would avoid inclines at all costs unless you can drop the log to the ground in an instant. But that's just my 2¢, and worth every penny you paid.

My thought was the arch on one side and low dolly on the other. I will need to look at some lots and talk to the owners before building anything but I have the steel here to build an arch would need some axle stubs or something along those lines(caravan rear axle or a decent size trailer axle). Most of my stuff is built from junk I have lots of tubing don’t have lots of money to spend especially when I’m trying to save for some acreage.
be better to keep the load centered as best as possible, having the logs suspended on one side will make things awkward, samsies for the dolly. be just as easy to have the dolly removable

I understand you are probably trying to do it on a budget with existing items but if you want to look at another option do a search for Jonsered Ironhorse. They are very expensive but so are BCS and other higher end units. There is no doubt the Gravely units can be picked up much cheaper that they used to be. I guess they folks that liked them are passing on.https://fastest3.com/product/jonser...rse-9hp-jh-129-logging-log-hauler-iron-horse/

I understand you are probably trying to do it on a budget with existing items but if you want to look at another option do a search for Jonsered Ironhorse. They are very expensive but so are BCS and other higher end units. There is no doubt the Gravely units can be picked up much cheaper that they used to be. I guess they folks that liked them are passing on.https://fastest3.com/product/jonser...rse-9hp-jh-129-logging-log-hauler-iron-horse/
I could probably build something like that 2 sets of snow mobile tracks and a couple of hydraulic motors would take care of the drives think I have a few pumps around still. Years ago I missed out on a small tracked tractor(can’t remember who built it) that would have been perfect for this. My thing is I want to selectively log and not harm any new growth unless their invasive.

Latest posts

Back