Tractor Supply - Countyline 40-Ton Log Splitter (question)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For clarity are you telling me you know more than that of the builders and engineers of the best hydraulic equipment around? Just checking:)
For clarity I'm telling you you don't have a fricken clue what your talking about. You forget I've been working on heavy equipment for many years, hydraulics are nothing new to me. Apparently they are to you. Everything I have said is 100% verifiable to be true. Feel free to do your research and try to prove me wrong. My calculations are accurate.

Now to bring it back on topic if you have a good used filter any independent shop can source it for you. I know if I had it here Amy could look at it for 30 seconds and have it sourced in 3 minutes. I deal with those that have been in the parts business since we had the shop in the 1930's. Yes technology has changed but common sense has not
Before you started blowing your lips off I posted the specs for the filter thay came on the splitter and a cross reference chart.

why would they put the oil filter on the return side.

Several good reasons.
  1. Putting the filter on the suction side will allow unfiltered oil and metal fragments to pool in the oil reservoir, instead of removing them from the system when the filter is changed.
  2. A partially obstructed filter will continue to do a good job of filtering, but will add back-pressure up to it's 200 lb limit. Vaccuum, on the other hand will be limited to about 14 psi maximum force to move hydraulic oil up to the pump. A slightly dirty filter will cause the pump to run dry, which will eventually destroy the pump and it will instantly cause the splitter to be weak.
  3. The filters are built to withstand pressure on the incoming side of the filter media. They are not designed to have suction applied.
  4. Keeping the filter on the return side allows the installation of a return line pressure gauge, which will pretty much tell you when to change the filter. I've seen vaccuum gauges to reveal when a filter should be changed, but only on AIR filters on engines, where the filter restriction is impeding air going into the engine.

Several good reasons.
  1. Putting the filter on the suction side will allow unfiltered oil and metal fragments to pool in the oil reservoir, instead of removing them from the system when the filter is changed.
  2. A partially obstructed filter will continue to do a good job of filtering, but will add back-pressure up to it's 200 lb limit. Vaccuum, on the other hand will be limited to about 14 psi maximum force to move hydraulic oil up to the pump. A slightly dirty filter will cause the pump to run dry, which will eventually destroy the pump and it will instantly cause the splitter to be weak.
  3. The filters are built to withstand pressure on the incoming side of the filter media. They are not designed to have suction applied.
  4. Keeping the filter on the return side allows the installation of a return line pressure gauge, which will pretty much tell you when to change the filter. I've seen vaccuum gauges to reveal when a filter should be changed, but only on AIR filters on engines, where the filter restriction is impeding air going into the engine.
Don't forget, a good set up will have a pre screen on the outlet/suction side of the oil tank to prevent any major depris from getting to the pump.

Several good reasons.
Also if filter becomes clogged I am sure it is made to bypass causing contamination to go thru pump bad idea.

No, they don't. They are using a 28gpm 2 stage pump. It only requires 15hp. They have a 20hp engine attached to it. It's not rocket science.
For a full 28 gpm with a single stage pump @3000 psi required 50hp.
Alrighty, You can pull a 5 shank ripper with a 170hp tractor but it sure as pulls nicer with 250hp..........it's not rocket science :)

Yes we have. I respectfully disagreed with you and so does Timberwolf, but heck to each their own.

https://www.timberwolfequip.com/products/alpha-6-log-splitter
This one is a better comparison:
https://www.timberwolfequip.com/products/tw-5hd-log-splitter
22GPM with a 12HP motor. Exactly (within 2%) the same HP per GPM as the disputed splitter.

Timberwolf: 12HP/22GPM = .55 HP/GPM
Countyline: 14HP/25GPM = .56HP/GPM

Both are obviously using a 2-stage pump. The Alpha 6 has a completely different hydraulic circuit -- uses regeneration rather than the 2-stage pump.

Latest posts

Back