Kinetic log splitters... technical questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a very clean and low hour Husky hydraulic log splitter. Its a big one, I think its something like 34 or 35 ton, can't remember. But I've been considering selling it and buying a kinetic log splitter. The objective is to get the work done faster, and not have hydraulic rams, hoses, pumps, filters, tanks, fluids, etc. to maintain or replace.
Questions:
1) BBR has a video of his Gripo brand kinetic splitter, in which he states that if a nasty knot is encountered, the belt will slip and burn until you hit the button to release the ram. Yet other brands have a safeguard of sorts that automatically releases the ram before the machine beats itself up. So the question is, which brands have this safeguard feature to protect the machine from tearing itself up?
2) Who makes kinetic splitters? ( I know of: Super Splitter, DR, Oregon, Gripo, Generac, Power King, DK.) Am I missing any names?
3) Will kinetic units, if they are big enough, handle knots and tougher stuff similar to the performance of a hydraulic unit?
4) The kinetic units seem to have fewer high dollar components, why are they so expensive? Is it just a matter of supply and demand, and what people are willing to pay?

Super split was/is the original unit . The rest of names you have listed are just chi-com knock offs. Not particular very good ones either. Any type of splitter can be stalled one way or another. Me I have a hydro unit - why? because I could at the time, some 20 + years ago, build it for little out of pocket expense Cost - like everything nowdays get what you payfor. Most import stuff is pricy now days mostly due to international shipping rates. Parts if needed, at Supersplit you are talking to the people who make it, the others, who knows, if you can even understand what they are saying. Import kinetic units suffer from poor materials- may have gotten better over that last few years - personally, I highly doubt it .

the kenetic spliters are more expensive, partly because they are "new and desirable" and party because they run off of a rather beefy rack and pinion gear set up, with great big flywheels and belt drives, all largely purpose built
while 99% of the hydraulic splitters run small pumps and off the shelf pumps, rams and valving, hoses are relatively cheap

The overall frame is about the same for kinetic or hydro, both run similar motors/engines

the Kinetic splitters are faster, but they can't handle bigger wood, and really the hydraulic ones aren't all that slow, especially if you can "stack" logs and split 2 or more at a time, not something you can do with a kinetic splitter, and the hydraulic splitters generally have a 2 stage pump, so when you do hit a great big knot, it "gears" down and grunts right through it, even my measly 24 ton splitter will power through even the biggest knots, not something a kinetic splitter is equipped for.

Honestly, the only real difference between expensive hydraulic spliltters, and the cheaper versions is the engine, otherwise its all more or less the same parts with different colors of paint. (maybe just maybe the pumps might be better quality... but I doubt it)

Honestly, the only real difference between expensive hydraulic spliltters, and the cheaper versions is the engine, otherwise its all more or less the same parts with different colors of paint. (maybe just maybe the pumps might be better quality... but I doubt it)
When it comes to quality of the parts, I don't agree with you.

BTW, a few years ago I saw a Timberwolf TW5 smoke a Super Split in a splitting contest, both had the same amount/size of wood and, both had two guys feeding/running them...

SR

yes a hydro can be made scary fast- but it is a machine and dosen't give a xyz about whats in front of it. if its too fast you will chasing splits into the next county over. don't want be in front of one of those flying pieces. i ve had pieces that unit kicks down on and then all of a sudden lets go- got few dents from that over the years. now days if my unit kicks down i try to be out of launch angle.

BTW, a few years ago I saw a Timberwolf TW5 smoke a Super Split in a splitting contest, both had the same amount/size of wood and, both had two guys feeding/running them...

SR
age, condition, type of fluid, motor speed, type of pump, has everything to do with hydraulic speed (especially the pump)

But in general there are only a handful of companies out there making hydraulic components, ALL of them can be made to work together, ALL of them use the same set of tolerances.

Wish I had a video of a splitter I watched a kid running at a steam show near here years ago.

It was a vertical machine, in that the splitting wedge moved up and down. It had a large flywheel with the wedge connoted to an off center pin like a crankshaft for a motor.

This machine was powered by a small steam engine and ran non-stop. Kid would hold the wood to be split at an angle back from the travel of wedge and then at the right time tip it towards the travel of the wedge. Bam! the wood was split! If needed due to diameter to split a second time he would turn it 90º and have it hit again and then toss into wood pile to his left.

Not sure what would happen if he tried to split a piece with large knots or other problem piece of wood, but he sure could get a lot split in a short time!

Wish I had a video of a splitter I watched a kid running at a steam show near here years ago.

It was a vertical machine, in that the splitting wedge moved up and down. It had a large flywheel with the wedge connoted to an off center pin like a crankshaft for a motor.

This machine was powered by a small steam engine and ran non-stop. Kid would hold the wood to be split at an angle back from the travel of wedge and then at the right time tip it towards the travel of the wedge. Bam! the wood was split! If needed due to diameter to split a second time he would turn it 90º and have it hit again and then toss into wood pile to his left.

Not sure what would happen if he tried to split a piece with large knots or other problem piece of wood, but he sure could get a lot split in a short time!

Was it like this one?

Could be it's been a few decades since I saw the one I mentioned! Do you know where that video was made?

Did a Google search and found this one that seems to match better what I recall:

age, condition, type of fluid, motor speed, type of pump, has everything to do with hydraulic speed (especially the pump)

But in general there are only a handful of companies out there making hydraulic components, ALL of them can be made to work together, ALL of them use the same set of tolerances.
BUT all brands aren't made from the same quality of materials, and if you think a chinese import has the same quality of some of the materials used in most more expensive splitters, you would be wrong.

Many of the cheaper splitters are china made, or china made lower spec components, do you really think they are of the same quality as the ones Prince sells?

I have components from both, there's a big difference.

SR

BUT all brands aren't made from the same quality of materials, and if you think a chinese import has the same quality of some of the materials used in most more expensive splitters, you would be wrong.

Many of the cheaper splitters are china made, or china made lower spec components, do you really think they are of the same quality as the ones Prince sells?

I have components from both, there's a big difference.

SR
no, i'm saying that the designs are the same, and the parts are interchangeable, Prince makes good stuff, so does Parker, prince at least is laughably over priced for what they are.
casting, paint, finish quality has redacted all to do with flow rates and pressure ratings.

SR
What size logs? How many way wedge on the TW5? Was it a new TW5 or legacy TW5? I own both and have video comparing the two splitters and split times in equal size logs that don't require the log lift. IMO the TW5 benefits more from a 2nd guy than the Supersplit. I want smaller split wood than the legacy TW5 4 way and 6 way wedge produces so most of the time I am resplitting the logs again that are produced by the bottom half of the wedge, this is where I notice I lose most of the efficiencies potential of the TW5. If we are talking about knots, I find the 6 way wedge to be useless on the legacy TW5.

What size logs? How many way wedge on the TW5? Was it a new TW5 or legacy TW5? I own both and have video comparing the two splitters and split times in equal size logs that don't require the log lift. IMO the TW5 benefits more from a 2nd guy than the Supersplit. I want smaller split wood than the legacy TW5 4 way and 6 way wedge produces so most of the time I am resplitting the logs again that are produced by the bottom half of the wedge, this is where I notice I lose most of the efficiencies potential of the TW5. If we are talking about knots, I find the 6 way wedge to be useless on the legacy TW5.
It was a few years ago at the Paul Bunyon woodsplitter shootout. I don't know the differences in the TW5's, so I have no idea if it was a Legacy.

The wood varied in size, but equal size/amount in both splitters, the 5 had a 4-way wedge, it was wood like the average guy would get to split. The 5 got done with their wood and the SS had 5 or 6 more pieces to split, both ended up with about the same size splits.

The guys with the SS looked like they were working harder than the guys with the 5, as they had to re-split more to keep up with the 4-way...

SR

Lots of great input and information from everybody.
The ability to make my hydro unit vertical is a nice benefit when splitting heavy rounds. Also the super fast cycle time of the kinetic splitters is a bit dangerous... I'm not in that big of a hurry.
Also the price of the Super Splitter units is harsh, and I'd probably never find a good priced used one.
Think I'll be happy with what I have.
Many of my best years are behind me, and I've got some health issues, so who knows how long I'll be able to work with saws, log splitters, hand splitting, etc. When I die, they'll have a big auction and it'll all go to strangers. No need for me to get carried away with buying lots of high-end machinery.
I've had 4x4 diesel utility tractors and all that fun stuff. After a while, its more stressful to have it, than to not have it.

Back