Shopping for a log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too tried the used splitter route. Most in my area were old, much lower to the ground, and wouldn't split vertically. The decent used, when available , were 2/3 or 3/4's the cost of new. So say a 1000 for used, or 1250 for new at that time. Easy decision.

I thought about a 4 pt. wedge, which does work if your rounds are the appropriate same size.

Like other posters, at retirement age, speed isn't that big of a deal.

I’m seeing a lot of votes for the TSC County Line splitters. They look a lot like the pictures of the ones that Oregon sells, but those seem to be hard to find around here. Guess I will go take a look at the local TSC.

I too tried the used splitter route. Most in my area were old, much lower to the ground, and wouldn't split vertically. The decent used, when available , were 2/3 or 3/4's the cost of new. So say a 1000 for used, or 1250 for new at that time. Easy decision.

I thought about a 4 pt. wedge, which does work if your rounds are the appropriate same size.

Like other posters, at retirement age, speed isn't that big of a deal.
I agree. I'm not quite to retirement age, (52), but my 25 ton Countyline will split wood faster than I care to load and stack it, and I consider myself in pretty good shape.

I bought a Timberwolf TW3 and love it. It's a three point hitch version with a pump driven from the PTO. Nice that I can drop it to the ground and roll the larger rounds onto it, then raise it up to work the pieces. Since it mounts to the tractor, nobody calls to ask if they can borrow it and it's one less motor to have to maintain.

We are in the market for our first log splitter and have narrowed our options down to a select few machines. I really like the speed and simplicity of the kinetic style splitters and would love to go for a Super Split, but a lead time of 16 weeks and higher cost are making that a difficult choice. Seems like numerous companies come out with kinetic splitters, then don't continue to make them (Oregon, DR Power, etc.). I like the price point and availability of the DK2 40-Ton Kinetic splitter, but don't have a good feel for their build quality or reliability.

My neighbor has had good luck with a NorthStar hydraulic splitter from Nothern Tool and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of their 37-Ton models with the torsion axle setup and Kohler CH440 engine. I'd welcome any feedback from you all.
Does it have a log lift, that is a game changer?

I'm retired also but I want to get my wood split and stacked as quickly as I can so I can do other things more fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20190225_105805680_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190225_105805680_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
There is no one size fits all wood splitter that is right for everyone. If all you split is small pecker poles, then almost any splitter will work, even one of those little 5 ton electric ones. If you have lots of big knotty oaks and hardwoods, then tonnage is your friend. . A verticle/horizonal splitting beam is handy,but in verticle position, all your splits end up at your feet and have to thrown out of the way before grapping that nest round. a horizonal beam means lifting that round up on the beam. A lift is nice but you still have to get the round to the splitter. A boom lift with a winch will allow you to move a big round close to the splitter and load on the beam. A 4 way wedge is wonderful, and being able adjust the splitting height makes quick work of large rounds. As far as a plain jane wood splitter, they are a simple machine and most any brand will do the job, but the extra features available will make splitting easier and faster.

Latest posts

Back