Looking for pole saw reccomendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have about 10 acres of lodgepoles that I need to start getting trimmed. For those unfamiliar with them, they grow extremely close together and the branches on the bottom stop growing needles, so if you let one get 80 feet tall without trimming, you'll have about 70 feet of "dead" needle-less branches below ten feet of green needles. That's just to give you the idea that I have A LOT of trimming to do. Please shoot me some suggestions on a quality pole saw that will handle lots of work. Electric wouldn't be preferable since I have 10 acres to take care of but I guess it's not totally out of the question if I get some extension cords. I also don't want to spend a ton of money on something top of the line.

Thanks!

I have about 10 acres of lodgepoles that I need to start getting trimmed. For those unfamiliar with them, they grow extremely close together and the branches on the bottom stop growing needles, so if you let one get 80 feet tall without trimming, you'll have about 70 feet of "dead" needle-less branches below ten feet of green needles. That's just to give you the idea that I have A LOT of trimming to do. Please shoot me some suggestions on a quality pole saw that will handle lots of work. Electric wouldn't be preferable since I have 10 acres to take care of but I guess it's not totally out of the question if I get some extension cords. I also don't want to spend a ton of money on something top of the line.

Thanks!
Stihl HT 131 pole pruner. that's what I use and I am a tree service. A bit more money than other brands but so what its better.

I have two multitools, one Stihl Kombi with extension, and pole saw and one Hitachi with extension and pole saw. The Stihl is a bit higher quality at 2x the price of the hitachi. Both work excelent and I have used them on branches up to ~ 5 inches.
On the classic pole saws I have the Fiskars model and am also very happy with it. For a quick garden job the classic pole saw is much quicker, but when serious cleaning has to be done I prefer the models with a engine. Although the weight can sometimes become pain wenn carrying around, so I typically wear the backpack shoulder harness of the trimmer and just hook in the pole saw.

I'd start with a good hand polesaw silky or Wolf tools to see if job can be done by these & if not bump up to a HTA 85 Telescopic Cordless Pole Pruner. New battery saws are great heaps of work time your arms be knacker before the battery runs out quiet and fume less bit lighter than HT 131 plus a lot less engine bits to take care of & that dam pole saw shaft wont fail as i just a wire to electric motor head

https://www.bluestonegarden.com/wolf-garten-telescoping-pole-saw-set-repm-zmv4.html

http://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws/Battery-Pole-Pruner/22372-1682/HTA-85.aspx

Thanks. Will take a look at all of those. I'd say about 95% of branches are under 2 inches. Have thousands upon thousands of branches to remove. I have a ryobi weed wacker where you can remove the head and add attachments. I saw they make a pole saw attachment but wondering if it's built well enough for the work I need to do

How high are you wanting to prune? How high does the Ryobi go? The only problem with battery powered is the amount of work you can do in a day is limited by ability to charge batteries.

A 1" branch is gone with one hard pull using a Silky pole saw...

Just by looking at the pic I would say they look like a few feet from each other and with such a dense growth you should cut down every 2nd, 3rd or 4th tree so that they have room to grow nice and tall and in another decade you can cut out again every other tree. For those trees I would NOT be doing any branch trimming!

Back