Makita XCU02Z 18V X2 (36V) LXT Cordless Chainsaw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerrySM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just bought one of these. Anyone else have one?

So far I have found that the bar is not held tightly enough by the hand-tensioner, resulting in little movements in the bar, loose chain and chain dismounts. I like that I can use it with one hand, and that it is much quieter and cleaner than my gas chainsaws.

61f6hgSn8HL.jpg

Don't have one, but I have been wondering as I have lots of Makita cordless tools. I'll be looking forwards to your thorough in depth review.

I'm surprised so few people own this saw. Makita is a popular brand, and cordless electric is an attractive option. Perhaps it's too much of a "girly man" saw for the men of arborsite? Perhaps it's the wrong kind of "chain saw" for the members of this forum?

Custom+made+tools+a+chainsaw+and+hammer+drill_193e89_5557792.jpg

Sorry but I am a Hitachi man. Or girl. :D

Truth to be told I gave thought about a Li-ion saw as an alternative to a traditional micro top handle saw. However there are a couple of problems.
First, a micro top handle is lighter, or at least lighter than this Hitachi saw: http://www.hitachi-koki.com/equipment/products/li_ion_e/cs36dl/cs36dl.html
Second, these babies don't come cheap: the Hitachi I linked is 400€ (discounted price and including batteries). The similar Makita model (36V) is 270€... plus batteries. Prices are from the local Hitachi and Makita dealerships so perhaps they may be had cheaper. A leftover Zenoah G2500 is actually cheaper.

I have no Hitachi equipment. Once you get involved with one brand (I have a bunch of Makita tools and about 10 batteries), you tend to stick with it.

I'm moving more and more to this electric saw because I have largely completed the big work of cutting down weed trees on my 6 acre block, and what's left can be handled comfortably by the electric saw.

Also, I'm sick of 2-stroke pollution! Two days ago I cut through a thick stump with my Stihl, and because the chainsaw was on it's side, exhaust vents pointing up, and because a wind blew the oily exhaust into my face for a minute or so, I now have lung irritation and a constant cough. This is how we get farking lung cancer :mad: I'm just over this noisy, dirty shyt.

Finally got try it out a little. Made about 7 cuts up to 4" diameter on fallen branches. Worked well, but can't hold a candle to my 58v Echo saw. My intent was for smaller stuff like this and for that I was happy with it. Much smaller and lighter for these quick jobs that pop up.

I have a demo XCU03 rear handle brushless saw that I have been using quite extensively for the last 3-4 months or better. So far i love it as long as I keep in mind that it is battery powered and has limitations. No complaints on the tooless chain tensioner, its one of the few that actually works but time will tell because its an awful lot of plastic so I am skeptical of it holding up for the long haul. I have already put more time on it than most homeowners would in 2-3 years without so much as a hiccup. Step dad even used it to rip some rounds to make foot stools/tables out of and it seemed to handle it fine except the batteries get awfully hot.

Did a bunch of cuts on a dead fall this last weekend. From 3" to about 8", no problem, just slower than the bigger saws. I made about 15 cuts and it showed no signs of slowing down. Batteries dropped one bar. This saw has turned out to be real handy to leave on my UTV.

Latest posts

Back