McCulloch 840

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked this saw up in January. It had been setting for maybe 20 years with a full tank of gas. The tank was in pretty bad shape, heavy varnish on the bottom and corrosion on the top. McCulloch flat back carburetor was really gummed up as well, and the metering diaphragm was stiff as a board, I still have it soaking but not much hope in my opinion.

attachment.php

The 840 as it arrived, behind the 1-60

I took this one all the way down, new rings and seals, bearings were good, had to sandblast the inside of the fuel tank then gave it a coat of POR15 on the inside.
This one came equipped with a 36" Oregon bar and 1/2" pitch chain in good shape. Now it is ready to run and will accompany me up to Grandpatractors for a little run time this Saturday.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had to change the sprocket shaft but BIG THANKS to JJ I had one of those on hand, and find that the threads on the other end are to run the oiler on the side of the gear case.

attachment.php

O.K., I did repaint the air filter cover

attachment.php

I only want to see this view when it is setting on the bench

Mark

Sad case that I am, I still like the sound of my 1-85 best of all the saws. Must be something about that muffler and just the right amount of it burned out.

I have the round muffler (without the perforate metal baffle) on the 840, not correct according to the IPL picture but the part number agrees. Makes quite a bark but not as rich as the 1-85 to my ear.

Mark

Back