Milling Cedars at the Beach

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daninvan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got down to the log dump with a few friends today after a last minute schedule change. Lucky for us as the chillier weather we had been having lifted, but the rain promised had not yet arrived. Definitely hit the weather sweet spot today!

Although these pictures give the impression of a bit of haze, it was actually a pretty clear view of the mountains today.

IMG_3653.JPG
IMG_3652.JPG
IMG_3654.JPG
Selected a couple of cedar logs to mill up. First order of business was to peel off the bark. Sometimes the old fashioned ways work best! These logs had been hanging around the log dump at the beach for a while so were pretty sandy.

IMG_3706.JPG
IMG_3710.JPG

I nailed my guide board on the wider log and took off the first cut. Then I did the same for the other log, and reset both mills to cut at just over 2", and with four guys running two mills made very short work of them.

IMG_3711.JPG

There was a bit of uncertainty at the start as to what type of cedar they were, but the cutting quickly revealed that as we had guessed, the larger one was Monterey Cypress and the other was Port Orford Cedar. Both are common street trees here, and while the Monterey Cypress (AKA macrocarpa) is not particularly revered, clear quartersawn Port Orford Cedar is coveted by cabinetmakers. Both are beautifully aromatic, the Monterey having a pink/orange tint while the PO cedar is much whiter. Unfortunately this piece of PO cedar was quite rustic with a lot of knots in it, which makes it considerably less coveted!

IMG_3713.JPG

In fact there was even some copper wire buried in the PO cedar.

IMG_3714.JPG

Despite the bad ergonomics we wound up with 9 slabs of the Monterey and 4 slabs of the PO.

IMG_3718.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3722_zps8a2bf485.jpg

Some of the Monterey Cypress was a bit rustic too, although this piece had some interesting figure in the top right.

IMG_3724_zps68ea4477.jpg

We decided to high-grade most of the pieces and cut out the knots and other defects, my bowl buddy claimed he doesn't like working with softwoods so only took a couple, I took a few smaller chunks and the other guys split the rest.

IMG_3726_zpsd2fbdeed.jpg

Mills worked beautifully today despite still running some old worn out chains while awaiting my new shipment from Granberg. It was the same chain I used last time and was having to stop constantly to sharpen. Did not need to sharpen at all today, and we finished all the milling in 1 1/2 hours.

Once again we left mostly just skin and bones.

IMG_3728_zps0c1ddc97.jpg

Although it had been nice the whole time, just as we left the sun came out and illuminated our pile of sawdust!

IMG_3729_zpsb5bca1ec.jpg

I always enjoy your photography. You certainly live in a beautiful part of the country. And free logs to boot! Thanks for sharing.

Is there a reason you slab at that thickness ? Do you make certain stuff that is that thick ?Or just so can move it easier ?

Is there a reason you slab at that thickness ? Do you make certain stuff that is that thick ?Or just so can move it easier ?

Some of the PO cedar will likely be cut into veneers, so it could have been milled thinner in order to dry faster, but then there would have been more saw kerfs and more waste and I'm in no hurry. I'm not really sure what the fate of the Monterey cypress will be, so I just milled it at the same thickness as the PO for convenience, normally I would have milled it at 2 1/2" which is my kind of generic thickness if I don't have a specific purpose for the wood when I mill it. For bowl blanks we normally mill a bit thicker.

Consideration of weight for moving is factor for sure. I've milled up stuff so thick that I could not lift it on my own, which was pointless.

And it did smell fantastic. The cutting area is right on a walking/jogging path at the beach so we had a lot of people stop by and comment on the smell.

Big thanks for another beach milling fix Dan!

It never gets old - seriously. You and your crew are living the high life and it's a feast for the eyes. I'm happy to hear you were able to pull off the timing with the weather. Sometimes having a constraint like that can make it that much more enjoyable when it all goes right. Wish I was there.

Old Blue

Yeah...where is the 'log dump' in the Boston Area!! Soooo much jealousy..

394xp w/ 33" & 42" Bars - Full Comp Full Chisel - 36" Granberg Alaskan Mill
455 Rancher w/ 20" Bar - Semi Chisel
Husqvarna Forestry Helmet & Full Wrap Chaps

Back