MS 460 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bj Shock

Master COB
Reaction score
I am working on a MS 460. I am installing a cyl. kit. The piston has an arrow on it. Which way should it point?
I tried the search function...Thanx.

I really should pay more attention when I tear stuff down.Anyways, I got it all back together and it fired right up..
Now for my next dum question, Is there a tool to install the wrist pin circlips? I think I saw a picture in a book once. I have always done it the hard way...man,them things can FLY and DISSAPEAR!

The tool that I use most to install writs pin circlips is small nose pliers and lots of patience. Sometimes a small screwdriver comes into play and so does my ice pick. One time I even managed to wrench my back. Save spares in a plastic bag in case you lose one and never throw away a clip or a wrist pin that's still inside a worn out piston.

I really should pay more attention when I tear stuff down.Anyways, I got it all back together and it fired right up..
Now for my next dum question, Is there a tool to install the wrist pin circlips? I think I saw a picture in a book once. I have always done it the hard way...man,them things can FLY and DISSAPEAR!
Yes there's a tool from Stihl...theyre pretty expensive...but work pretty well.

Just like all of us ... Common sense kicks in . The only thing I do is put a thin peace of wire through when I'm installing it just incase when it springs out the wire catches it Lolol. There hard to find after flying ten feet.

I think those things are in all corners of my shop. Once in a while I recover one and put it in my collection. I usually wear safety glasses when installing them as they could put a hurt on the ole eyeball.

Just like all of us ... Common sense kicks in . The only thing I do is put a thin peace of wire through when I'm installing it just incase when it springs out the wire catches it Lolol. There hard to find after flying ten feet.

All you need to do is walk around with bare feet.

I seem to find the ones with sharp ends first.

Bux tools makes an installer that works well after you use it once.

You need to check for clearence of the case and the tool. I think that you need to install the second clip on the clutch side on the smaller saws like 024,026.

Bux tools makes an installer that works well after you use it once.

You need to check for clearence of the case and the tool. I think that you need to install the second clip on the clutch side on the smaller saws like 024,026.
On both the 024 and the 026 that I just rebuilt, it seemed easier to install the second clip on the flywheel side, but I probably could have done it either way. However, I was not using any special tool requiring clearance. Thanks for the info.

Back