ms250 trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halisled

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im new so hello. I Got this saw it's a ms250c won't start primer bulb does nothing. Cleaned the carb, rebuilt the carb new plug still just stumbles with full choke and prime bulb not working. not even fire on no choke. Thinking I should have never got it. Spark seems strong.

Not replaced but it holds pressure I'm thinking maybe the primer bulb was installed backwards although that would not start acting up suddenly. I may pick up a fuel line today to eliminate 1 more thing.

pull the muffler and see if the piston is scored and do a compression test before you waste any more time. if piston and comp. are good. I would replace impulse line and fuel line. if that don't work chuck that junk zama carb in the trash and buy a new carb. those carbs are just about not worth the time to rebuild most of the time

Not replaced but it holds pressure I'm thinking maybe the primer bulb was installed backwards although that would not start acting up suddenly. I may pick up a fuel line today to eliminate 1 more thing.

Ya going to do that tonight but impulse line looks like a pain to get to any diagrams that show what needs to come off

Ya going to do that tonight but impulse line looks like a pain to get to any diagrams that show what needs to come off
I usually take off the carb and everything out the carb box area. You will have to take the top cover handle loose from the "foot" of the saw. There are two screws there, then lift up the cover. The impulse attaches to a brass nipple at the base of the cylinder, and on another plastic nipple the points straight down on the back of the carb box plate. Its easier for me to attach the new impulse to the cylinder, then attach it to the back of the carb box. Just my 2 pennies.

My Dad has an MS250C-M (I believe that's the number) that never worked right from the beginning and the "dealer" was unable to fix it. So he gave it to me. It had an overly complex and poorly fitting fuel line arrangement that leaked - had some sort of vent thing in the middle of it IIRC. Once I got the lines to fit without leaking it ran fine. I gave it back to him as I have Poulans that are faster ;)

My Dad has an MS250C-M (I believe that's the number) that never worked right from the beginning and the "dealer" was unable to fix it. So he gave it to me. It had an overly complex and poorly fitting fuel line arrangement that leaked - had some sort of vent thing in the middle of it IIRC. Once I got the lines to fit without leaking it ran fine. I gave it back to him as I have Poulans that are faster ;)

Nobody's going to get a detached retina from the speed of a 250. Bud with a 250 tried my PP4218, said it'd smoke the 250. Yup, we had everything in order on the poor plastic Stihl. They just don't have the "stones", poor things.

Nobody's going to get a detached retina from the speed of a 250. Bud with a 250 tried my PP4218, said it'd smoke the 250. Yup, we had everything in order on the poor plastic Stihl. They just don't have the "stones", poor things.
And Dad paid $409 for it! :eek:

I personally really like the 250! My dad just bought one a couple weeks ago that needed a new piston for $50. Put a piston in it and a new 16" bar and chain. Ripping little saw.
+1

I have (2) 250C's and an 025. With a muffler mod and a 16" bar they're quite the little limbing saw. And very light in weight for a 45cc saw.

I personally really like the 250! My dad just bought one a couple weeks ago that needed a new piston for $50. Put a piston in it and a new 16" bar and chain. Ripping little saw.

+1

I have (2) 250C's and an 025. With a muffler mod and a 16" bar they're quite the little limbing saw. And very light in weight for a 45cc saw.
There's nothing wrong with them (well, other than the bar studs) - they work just as well as my 46cc Poulan 2775, and with a little porting might be able to keep up with it. The problem is they cost so much more.

My Dad is a typical homeowner user who lets Poulans sit with fuel in them for too long and does no tuning or maintenance, and then they don't run. So he gets tired of that and decides to buy a "good" saw, and goes and gets a Stihl - and comes home with another cheap homeowner saw that isn't any different but costs twice as much. And in his case wasn't put together correctly and didn't work properly.

Back