Ms660 will not start, but fires a couple times...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree94

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have no idea what is up with my saw.

Shut off while running. And hasn't started since.

When on full choke, it sounds like it fires a couple times (closing decompression valve) , but it will not run.
Other than that, I just pull and pull and get nothing..
It's not flooded. But it almost seems like it's not getting a lot of fuel cause there's never much fuel on the spark plug itself...

One thing I know for sure was broken is the clutch.. I ordered a new one and it's in the mail now.
So im trying to start it without a clutch , drum , etc. installed, but that shouldn't prevent it from running/starting right?

Any ideas please?? I'm going bananas .
Thanks

Sounds like the crab might need cleaning.
That's kinda what I was thinking. I also ordered a new carb which is also in the mail now.
(Only $40 why not)
Meanwhile I took apart my current carb, cleaned what little gunk I could and put it back together, still not working..

Ima pull the flywheel off now as previous comment said and see if anything is wrong with it.

Maybe a timing issue?

You mean it quit on its own? I would pull muffler first. If piston looks good then I would proceed with checking fuel and pulse lines.
It quit while an employee was using it; so I don't know how it exactly died on him. He says it just quit mid-cut.

Also I've pulled everything. Fuel lines are clear.
Pullled the mufffler and looked at piston. Looked good and still has good compression.

What is a pulse line and how do I check that?

"Pulse line" is "impulse line" it's the other line going to the carb (first being the fuel line). Impulse takes a pulse from the crankcase and uses that air pressure to move the fuel pump in the carb.

I'd check the fuel line, too. Even a crack is enough to prevent the carb from being able to suck fuel. And check to be sure the fuel filter hasn't fallen off the line in the tank.

If you're already going to take the carb off, it's cheap insurance to replace the fuel line, fuel filter, and impulse line while you're in there. Especially since you have a business to run. $25 is cheap peace of mind.

My $0.02

Update ..
I guess I didn't really look at the piston yesterday...I glanced at it.
Took off the entire muffler today and found this.
Is this thing toast or still have some life in it?
Can i run my saw with this in it?

Also what exactly causes this to happen???

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0714.JPG
    IMG_0714.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
The piston (and probably cylinder) are damaged because they got too hot. Either the saw was run on straight gas, or the saw developed a lean condition. That is, too much air and not enough fuel.

Causes for a lean condition could be basically anything in the fuel system and/or crank seals and/or and or leaky decompression valve and/or cylinder gasket. Those are listed in order of most to least likely (in my opinion).

Simple fix: Either buy a new saw or pay a trusted pro to *not simply replace the piston & cylinder alone*, but to diagnose the root cause, and replace those components as well. Pros: Fast, least effort, you'll hopefully have a warranty on the repair. Cons: Most expensive, obviously.

Less simple fix: Diagnose it yourself. First step being reading about 10,000 threads on this site over the next week or three. Pros: You gain a wealth of knowledge, you save a boatload of money. Cons: takes longer the first time around, takes up your time, you suddenly find yourself looking for saws in just this condition on Craigslist so you can have another, and another, and another...

If you're handy and have the want, it's totally DIY fixable.

You think I can still run it for a little bit?
I think it had to do with the carburetor adjustments but I just bought a new carburetor for it ..
Don't have money Right now for the other options and I have work to get done so I'm in a pickle..

You think I can still run it for a little bit?
I think it had to do with the carburetor adjustments but I just bought a new carburetor for it ..
Don't have money Right now for the other options and I have work to get done so I'm in a pickle..
I do not think it will start with that piston ,if it does not easily ,do you have a compression guage ?,saw should have 150 psi or more with a good piston ,below 100 psi they are hard to start ,a quick test is hold the power head in the air by the pull cord ,if the saw drops slow or you can hold it in the air by the cord it may run ,if it drops fast you have low compression .

It would not be good to run it anymore. At this point it is toast. You can probably still save the cylinder and just have to buy a piston and rings. If you get it started you will cause even more damage. Instead of buying a 40 dollar piston you will need a couple hundred dollar piston and cylinder. Also you need to figure out why it happened and replace those parts. I understand you need to get back to work, but all tour doing is losing money by trying to get it going in the state it's in. Plus what you learn if you choose to do it yourself is worth more then anything. There's alot of people on here thst will have no problem walking you through it. Post up lots of pics as you go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back