NAPA Aluminum Brightener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

django

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy
Since there are many references to Muriatic acid, etc.. for help cleaning and identifying the piston material out of the bore, I thought I would add my.02 after seizing the piston in my Jonny 920 yesterday. ( Totally my fault, no, I did not lean seize it, Much more exotic than that) Anyway, I used the above product for cleaning my V-Rod wheels when I first bought it on recomendation from a trucker. Nothing else worked 1/2 as good. The stuff is amazing. Ammonium Bifluoride, Phosphoric acid, etc...
Won't bother the chrome cylinders like muriatic. Foams like crazy on ANY aluminum. If there is any present, you know it. I have used muriatic in the past, and I will never use it again after trying this stuff.
Have a good one,
D.

I've never used that stuff in a cylinder, but we have some equipment with diamond tread aluminum and use it on that before re-polishing.

Can't say that the judicious use of muriatic acid will harm the chrome or nikasil bores though.

Mr. HE:cool:

Howdy
Since there are many references to Muriatic acid, etc.. for help cleaning and identifying the piston material out of the bore, I thought I would add my.02 after seizing the piston in my Jonny 920 yesterday. ( Totally my fault, no, I did not lean seize it, Much more exotic than that) Anyway, I used the above product for cleaning my V-Rod wheels when I first bought it on recomendation from a trucker. Nothing else worked 1/2 as good. The stuff is amazing. Ammonium Bifluoride, Phosphoric acid, etc...
Won't bother the chrome cylinders like muriatic. Foams like crazy on ANY aluminum. If there is any present, you know it. I have used muriatic in the past, and I will never use it again after trying this stuff.
Have a good one,
D.

i read the above post four times and i still don't know what you are saying. please simplify: what do you use for your vrod wheels and what do you use for a dirty piston bore?

It's in the title of the thread. NAPA Aluminum Brightener.
That is what it is called.

Be careful on your bike.. It eats paint.
Apply it with a cotton ball and wipe it off with water immediately. It works instantly. It comes in a spray bottle, don't spray it. It also only works on bare aluminum, most bikes have clear coated aluminum. It's like magic on oxidized aluminun though. You'll be impressed.

thanks for the tip. i'm going to use it on the aluminum chain-case cover. i'm pretty sure that isn't clear-coated.

Make sure you wear gloves and don't get in on you.

Ammonium bifluoride is nasty stuff. It has a health & contact rating of 4 which is the highest on the rating scale. Very hazardous to tissue and bone. When it gets into the bone it just keeps eating through :)

Also, don't ever store in a glass container as it etches glass.

I use the stuff all the time on the wheela on my truck. I works great. Just spray on, wait a min, then spray it off with the water hose. I have never thought about using it on cylinders.

Latest posts

Back