Is this cylinder salvageable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sofasurfer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I stumbled on a post in this forum on removing aluminum from cylinder wall with acid. You guys sound like you know what your talking about, so I decided to post my question here, even though its about a chipper engine.

I have a Briggs & Stratton Model # 135212. I seized the engine. Opened it up yesterday and I see that there is 2 big globs of aluminum FROM the piston ON the piston. The is also what looks like a large pouge in the cylinder wall. On closer inspection it seems that the wall is gouged somewhat but that there is also aluminum buildup. I think that if I remove the buildup that the gouge may not be too bad. I've included photos.

I don't want to use acid. I was hoping to sand it off with like maybe sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. At some point I would be down far enough to hone out some of the scratches/gouges. I read that there is a chrome coating over the aluminum wall. Is this true? If the gouge goes through the chrome is the situation hopeless?

Looking for guidance. Can't afford a new engine right now. Can't afford a new chipper at all. Can this thing be saved? If I can get better pics I will post them.

Attachments

• editDSC00113.JPG
    editDSC00113.JPG
    827.1 KB · Views: 0
  • editDSC00114.JPG
    editDSC00114.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 0
  • editDSC00115.JPG
    editDSC00115.JPG
    882.2 KB · Views: 1
Briggs are useally iron lined clean the aluminum transfer off and take a home to it get a new piston and rings and throw it back together.

Try to stick a magnet to it. Is it a side shaft or vertical engine I’d either find a good used one or buy harbour fright engine.

Magnet doesn't stick. I will see if I can clean up the wall. I sanded most of the aluminum off. Will a hone remove the remainder or would it require a reamer? I can rent the tools at the auto store. If I can get the wall cleaned up the piston should be easy to salvage. The rings do not seem damaged and the piston has a bit of a gouge but no breaks or deformities. This is a learning experience. Nothing to lose at this point. I'll look into Harbor Freight.

or buy harbour fright engine.
I replaced the motor on a Sears push mower with one of those $100 HFT engines and it runs like a scalded dog. Very strong and has a good governor. Even on a low throttle position, it's not easy to stall it to shut it off.

Ok, I'll take everyones advice.
This is on a wood chipper. I was concerned that I was told this had a tapered crank but when I removed the rotor I saw that its just a straight shaft with a key way. So a replacement engine should be easy to find if I need it. I just looked a HF anf I see a Predator for around $187. Not to bad. I'm getting some hope back. I'll work to get the wall cleaned up tomorrow.

I got the piston and the cylinder cleaned up pretty good. Without going and renting a inside caliper is there a way to judge how much I can hone off of this aluminum cylinder? I have the locations of the aluminum globs pretty clean. There is a tiny bit left but it is below the level of where the rings travel. If I do not take .002 I do not need oversize rings. Is this true? How long can I hone with 220 grit stone? Before regretting it. There are a couple of scratches that I can easily feel with my finger nail.

I got the piston and the cylinder cleaned up pretty good. Without going and renting a inside caliper is there a way to judge how much I can hone off of this aluminum cylinder? I have the locations of the aluminum globs pretty clean. There is a tiny bit left but it is below the level of where the rings travel. If I do not take .002 I do not need oversize rings. Is this true? How long can I hone with 220 grit stone? Before regretting it. There are a couple of scratches that I can easily feel with my finger nail.
This might not be the right place to ask, but I don't think aluminum can be honed, anyone?

So Briggs did make an aluma bore engine. They were 100% throw away engines. Most of them had a pulsa jet carb, or up drought carb. The piston was chromed. (It may have been some sort of iron coating can't remember) if the cylinder is gouged up it need bored over size. You used to be able to rebuild them for sub $200.00 but a new engine cost that. At any rate once the piston grabs the cylinder its a boat anchor. I haven't seen parta readily avalable for them in some time. Over sized rings will need the piston knurled to get proper fit. Its a sloppy solution.
If it has a cast iron liner it will be from the i/c line of engines and they are worth rebuilding.
I have an 8hp aluma bore on a old craftsman walk behind Tiller. When it pops another engine is going on it.
save your time and buy the preditor engine. They work fine and have tons of parts availability. Plus they are cheap.

If it don't have a cast liner it has some sort of plating like chrome or nikasil. You're not going to hone 0.002" of that stuff. Get the rest of the transfer off. If you leave any bad things will happen.

You are planning on getting a new piston?
Unless you use a diamond hone your not going through nikasil.

I stumbled on a post in this forum on removing aluminum from cylinder wall with acid. You guys sound like you know what your talking about, so I decided to post my question here, even though its about a chipper engine.

I have a Briggs & Stratton Model # 135212. I seized the engine. Opened it up yesterday and I see that there is 2 big globs of aluminum FROM the piston ON the piston. The is also what looks like a large pouge in the cylinder wall. On closer inspection it seems that the wall is gouged somewhat but that there is also aluminum buildup. I think that if I remove the buildup that the gouge may not be too bad. I've included photos.

I don't want to use acid. I was hoping to sand it off with like maybe sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. At some point I would be down far enough to hone out some of the scratches/gouges. I read that there is a chrome coating over the aluminum wall. Is this true? If the gouge goes through the chrome is the situation hopeless?

Looking for guidance. Can't afford a new engine right now. Can't afford a new chipper at all. Can this thing be saved? If I can get better pics I will post them.
🍿

Well, I have already honed it some. Not a lot. I talked to a guy at the local shop today and he said most Briggs have just plain aluminum cylinders and the chrome is on the rings. Don't know. Been looking for some B&S specs on line that would tell me what I have. All I know is that I can't afford squat right now and so I am just going to do my best and hope for the rest of the best. If this thing blows up then I will get a new engine in a couple of months. If it just burns some oil I will consider it a great success and well done for the time being.
As for my question about how much to hone...I just remembered about ring end gap. I used to know how to do some of this stuff when I was a youngster but I haven't looked inside a motor much since the 80s. I'll try to find the specs on that. My goal is to put this thing back together tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back