Need advice on building a website please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree94

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm trying to build a website for my tree service but I'm not sure what route to take. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Should I pay a website company to build my site and do SEO? (I see prices from roughly $300-800$)
Should I build my site myself with a host like wix.com, purchase my own domain and then pay to have someone do the SEO?
Is SEO simple enough to research and learn myself thru google?
Should I use Google adwords?

Basically, I just want my phone ringing more. I want my site to pop up when clients search for services in the area.
How do I get people to visit my site?

Thanks a lot guys!
Russ

PS. I have already searched through the forum for related threads, most are outdated.
I placed this thread in this category in hopes of getting more views/replies.

Cheap first solution is to start a Facebook page using your own keywords in the URL - e.g. facebook.com/charleston-tree-trimming
(at least you used to be able to do this - I've been out of the loop for a while)

Upload some good photos and get some nice testimonials on there. (you get testimonials by asking people you've done work for - they are your most excellent sales force)

Keep it simple - build confidence - make it a nice place to visit.

Let people know up front what you do and when you will be able to get back to them so they won't be pi$$ed if you keep them waiting. Everyone expects instant service online but a busy self employed contractor may only be able to return calls or emails at end of day. Manage their expectations in clear considerate language.

Always ask yourself as you're going along ... Would I use this service? Does my wording and do my photos make me feel confident enough to try this service out? Why would I go to this guy over the competition? Review your page regularly - If it's not right, fix it!

Use simple language - Portray confidence and genuine honesty and people will want to do business with you. Testimonials are always more effective than just blowing your own horn. Take visitors by the hand a show them what you can do for them. Think to yourself - what would make me contact this guy and do business with him? Create enough confidence and interest and they WILL WANT to contact you. Have some fun with your page as long as it's in good taste and builds confidence in you and your service.

Once you think your page is ready, dip your toe in advertising water by spending a couple bucks on Facebook ads (only IF you can target local exposure to your area - it's been a while since I did this). Spend very cautiously to test the waters and make sure to use YOUR keywords in every ad - your keywords are those words that people will use to find you in Facebook or anywhere on the web for that matter - find out what they are and build your presence around that. Use simple words that identify you by location and service type and make that your brand.

Once you start to get visitors, if they translate into contacts and sales you're off. If you are not converting your visitors into contacts and business - why? Maybe offer a time limited small discount coupon or a refer a friend bonus. Look for creative ideas. Start slow and small - keep it simple.

When you start to make a few bucks and you want to expand, then you can translate this to a stand alone web site if needed, but personally I think Wix and others like that are painfully slow and not the best for search engine placement. Hopefully by then, you'll have a few bucks laying around to pay someone to create a simple site for you, but the good thing is you will know enough to guide them and make sure they are building a site that works.

Your BEST advertising is word of mouth referrals in your local area - be firm but fair - have good written agreements they sign before you start a job - treat people well - whenever possible go the extra mile - leave everyone with a nice simple business card - thank them for their business - make them feel valued - especially during stressful times remind yourself frequently it's the journey not the destination - those who respect and love you are worth their weight in gold! Be in this for the long haul.

When you get rolling, do some cross promotion by uploading some Video to your youtube channel. Write a helpful PDF for people to download on tree care. Sponsor a local targeted event - etc etc etc. You get the drift.

Good luck!

how big is your market? If you are in a city of a few hundred thousand, you probably need to pay to get 1st page placement. If you are in an area with under 50K, just having a functional website probably gets you on the first page.

I like WordPress. You can use free themes (page templates) or pay $30-$50 (one time) and get some really nice themes. It is easy to work with and is build to be SEO-friendly. There are plug-ins to improve that.

Build a website is one thing. Maintaining it and adding content on a regular basis is what will make it much more attractive to search engines. I have trouble seeing that a 3rd party is going to be making my website say what I want it to say with the updates they will do. I am NOT saying that I do a good job myself...but right now I am as busy as i can be, so I don't need to spend the time (or have the time to spend....) on improving my own site. If I did, I think I could take a few intentional hours per month and do very well. Point: I can't see paying somebody else $300 per month until I have spent at least 3-5 hours per month on a rainy day at least trying to do it myself...but that is my nature - I am going to try to do about anything myself. I enjoy the challenge, and I am cheap! Which is the bigger driver may be debatable ;)

One more thought .....
If you are tech savvy guy, then by all means have at the web stuff, but if you are not, then look for a neighbour or friend or student who can give you a hand with the time consuming geeky web stuff, so you can focus on bringing home the bacon :) The Web seldom produces immediate overnight success. Building a presence and attracting visitors online can be time consuming.

If you're not somewhat tech savvy, depending on your target market, you might find more immediate customers by schmoozing on the ground with utility companies, local government, mail drops to targeted communities that have tree problems, etc. etc. etc.

Facebook is easy and cheap. I payed someone to build a site, all they did was use wix.com and charge me $$$$. There are a ton of people out there that promise you the world and don't do anything so be very careful!!! Not good on a computer or have the time, so I pay a guy good money and he delivers. Get on fb, you tube, Twitter, Google+, etc. The more stuff you have out there the easier search engine will find you, link everything to your web page.

Plug your info into Google business. It will make a listing on google.

Facebook ads were a big flop for me. Not a single customer from it over 3 months. Radio ads and Craigslist worked MUCH better.

Thank you guys for all the input. Please keep it coming, it is very helpful.
Much appreciated!

Another thought:

I would NEVER have the person building the site also host it and control the domain name. I'd probably even make sure that you are actually buying the site, not "renting it" such that you only have it if you stay in good standing with their monthly contract. Buy your own hosting package (I really like bluehost.com for hosting) and control your own domain name (for example arboristsite.com is the domain name here). You get a free domain name registered when you are hosting with Bluehost. Once you have that, ignore ALL other emails you get about needing to renew your hosting or domain registration...only do that through the host directly. Some people like Go Daddy for the domain name registration. If you do everything this way, if you are UNhappy with the service you are receiving, you can take your ball and go home without having to start from scratch. You own the site, domain name, and hosting service. You change a couple of passwords, your relationship is closed and you still have a functional site that somebody else can pick up.

Ask at the local high school or community college. I'd bet a student will do your site as a class project for a relatively minimal fee. If you like it, hire them to maintain it. Make a local kid happy!

Back