Need some tree care opinion and advice, big oak tree-pic, need to prune again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anymanusa

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello. This big oak has been pruned several times in the last 10 years. I want it cut up a little more where it leans over the driveway. My wife claims that it's been pruned too many times and it will die if pruned again. The tree is out of control, but I don't want to kill it for sure. I love trees. It has numerous broken branches that have fallen off and are stuck in the tree. This makes me think it isn't very healthy. It has good leaf fill in when it's not winter.

Please give me some words of advice.

thanks

When was the last time it was pruned? Professionally? Or by you?
It appears that it's not too outa control. Some oaks tend to shed a lot of inner limbs this could be your breaking branches are these dead limbs or live limbs when they fail? Wind related?

Just from a quick look at the couple pics I'd say you would not effect the tree by raising over the parking but don't do it by leaving any more funky stubs...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Hello. This big oak has been pruned several times in the last 10 years. I want it cut up a little more where it leans over the driveway. My wife claims that it's been pruned too many times and it will die if pruned again. The tree is out of control, but I don't want to kill it for sure. I love trees. It has numerous broken branches that have fallen off and are stuck in the tree. This makes me think it isn't very healthy. It has good leaf fill in when it's not winter.

Please give me some words of advice.

thanks

looks like a red oak from here, we are losing a lot of red oaks around here from various fungal diseases I think. You might need some advice from a pro about how and when to avoid disease.

She had a buddy do it last time, and then she claims an arborist the time before. I just wanna have a little more of my driveway for cars and boats instead of the falling limb gallery.

looks like a red oak from here, we are losing a lot of red oaks around here from various fungal diseases I think. You might need some advice from a pro about how and when to avoid disease.
Yeah the state arborists will come look for free I figured I'd talk here for a bit first.

When was the last time it was pruned? Professionally? Or by you?
It appears that it's not too outa control. Some oaks tend to shed a lot of inner limbs this could be your breaking branches are these dead limbs or live limbs when they fail? Wind related?

Just from a quick look at the couple pics I'd say you would not effect the tree by raising over the parking but don't do it by leaving any more funky stubs...

We've had several VERY strong winds the last year.

She had a buddy do it last time, and then she claims an arborist the time before. I just wanna have a little more of my driveway for cars and boats instead of the falling limb gallery.
I'd say you are good to raise it above the drive clean out any dead wood and anything that is a problem (can't really see from the pics smaller issues) I'm sure you can get away with thinning out the portion over the drive to reduce wind impact and chance of failure over your toys. If you do anything make sure you do it soon b4 it starts putting leaves out. Oaks need to be trimmed while they are dorment to reduce chance of spreading oak wilt

Have an arborist come and advise, It looks strong. I wouldn't cut those large branches at the trunk. Because of their size, it would create a hollow area. However safety is first. I would start by deadwooding and cleaning broken stubs. Then reduce the weight from top to bottom a little in each area. Make it a process, don't do all of the cutting at once. Just a 20% per year. Have an arborist come and look at it though. Where are you located ?

Have an arborist come and advise, It looks strong. I wouldn't cut those large branches at the trunk. Because of their size, it would create a hollow area. However safety is first. I would start by deadwooding and cleaning broken stubs. Then reduce the weight from top to bottom a little in each area. Make it a process, don't do all of the cutting at once. Just a 20% per year. Have an arborist come and look at it though. Where are you located ?
Hoover Alabama

Agreed on end weight reduction for two lowest limbs on the driveway side.

Leave the opposite side of the tree alone for now.

Dont invite back whoever did the last "pruning". Dreadful work.

13705-1486688492-176312403d1eb0abc8d52cca8a086612.jpg

Since you all seem to be nit picking the prior pruning job, here is a photo where you can see this better. How bad is this? Does this have anything to do with the health of the tree or is it just an eyesore.

That looks like a horible reduction job but in some cases there is no good place to cut something back to if you are trying to achieve a certain clearance. Without see what was there I can't offer a 100 percent answer.. that being said I have done worse but I am not proud of it!

There's one almost acceptable reduction cut, assuming those adjacent epicormic shoots were already there. The rest look like stubs at best. Given their diameters, we can probably assume that there were some acceptable laterals to reduce to IF they weren't all descending. If the branches were descending and didnt allow necessary clearance, than proper removal cuts should have been made to the collars.

That tree needs rehab. Oak tree don't normally need much taking out of them. But if over pruned they respond with a lot of growth.
It's possible the arborist who trimmed it made those big end cuts because he planed on further reduction next time and didn't want to prune to much at one time. But I doubt it.
It needs to be lightly thinned over a few seasons. As far as safety that's an eye on thing an arborist needs to actually inspect itm

Latest posts

Back