New chain.....Dolmar 6100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree_Frog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Needing a second and third chain for my year old Dolmar 6100. What would you all recommend? I'm NOT looking for a safety type chain. Primarily cut variants of oak, elm, and pine. Live in northwest Arkansas.

I've had really good results with WoodlandPro 30SC (wemi-chisel) from Bailey's.

Also Frawley's will give you a good deal, and quick response, on Oregon. www dot loggerchain dot com

Best thing is to buy a couple of different brands (e.g. Oregon and Carlton), or a couple of different types (e.g. full chisel and semi-chisel), and try them side-by-side on your saw and your wood, to see what works best for you. If you don't notice much of a difference, you can buy the ones that you get the best deal on next time.

Philbert

I don't mean to sound like a complete noob, but does anyone have part #'s for a 3/8 20" chain for my 6100?

I like Stihl RS full chisel and RM semi chisel. Seem to last longer. How do you like your 6100? I've been thinking about one to go with the 562 and 361.

Whatever came stock on a 20" bar.
What I am trying to say, is that "20 inch bar" could mean a lot of things.

That's why loops are specified by pitch, gauge, and drive link count. This info may be printed on, or stamped into your bar.

Otherwise, tell us the brand of the chain, and any numbers stamped on the drive links.

Philbert

Anyone else? A buddy recommended Carlton chains.
I have been using carlton chains all 3/8ths lp and full comp all semi chisle for many years. Also been using NOS GB chains rebranded carlton and doing very well. I used sthil rs snapped 2 new chains within 2 cuts out of the box. Maybe. a bad batch but stihl wont warranty. them or offer any. support. I have found oregon is too. soft for me. they sharpen easy but you gotta do alot of it. Good luch my vote is for carlton and try to stay witb the older ones that are knowen good. Ie not from china.

I sa I d the same about Oregon, but Russ (owner of the shop I work out of) said lot of folks asked for Oregon saying Stihl chain wasn't holding up.
In any case chain is expensive. Ordered 3 rolls today and spent over $1100.

Best thing is to buy a couple of different brands (e.g. Oregon and Carlton), or a couple of different types (e.g. full chisel and semi-chisel), and try them side-by-side on your saw and your wood, to see what works best for you. If you don't notice much of a difference, you can buy the ones that you get the best deal on next time.

Philbert
Great advice.

I've been running a mix of Oregon, Carlton, and Total for the last couple of years. Of those the Oregon chisel cuts the fastest (no surprise) and Carlton semi holds an edge the longest. My next loop will be Stihl so I can personally see if they hold up as well as people say (there's a big price difference so I hope so). If you want to buy several loops at once there are several places online that will cover shipping for larger orders. I got some Oregon from Amazon for 11.xx a loop this winter so just keep an eye out for deals.

Back