NEW DHT (Dirty Hand Tools) 35 Ton Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This splitter is just another poorly made china log splitter. I mean look at the pictures. Think about it.....nothing better having your welding done in china...... one week they are welding log splitters and the next week the same company is making plastic blowup pool toys......To each his own

Not if you don't get that wedge to the end of the beam, it won't!

That's one of the biggest "impovements" you can make to a splitter!

SR

As we mentioned, what is shown here is the readily available 'non-commercial' 35 ton. You can buy this one today. The larger, commercial 35 ton will be horizontal only, and thus the wedge will be stationary and the cylinder will move a push plate. Availability will be later this year early next....

A 17.5 gpm 2 stage pump would be a good match for a 4" cylinder, 9 sec, but with a 5" cylinder the cycle time is 13 sec. Most of us would not be happy with that wait. A 22 gpm = 10 sec, closer, 28 gpm = 8 sec. This is what we want!

Producing what everyone else is doing will not give you a real nitch in the splitter market. Most of us are willing to pay the difference in the price of the pump for the improvement in speed. Remember you are not just competing with the hydraulic splitters but also with the inertia splitters like the Super Splitter which has a cycle time of 4 sec. The inertia splitters cost twice what your "22" ton unit does but folks are buying them because the increased productivity pays for the difference.

Lots of great suggests given in prior posts. Whether others are doing the same way, we the better informed want the little extras to have better posture, decrease resistance/heat generation & better oil cooling.
- Taller work height
- Wedge at the end of the beam, not on the cylinder
- Out-feed tables which start at least 4" before the wedge so the wood is over it & will not be pushed into it. gaps to allow debris to fall through.
- Use sweep elbow vs hard 90 degree fittings & no lines smaller than what comes off the pump
- Larger reservoir
- Consider having an oil cooler option.
- Log lift
- Adjustable height wedge with quick change wedge options
- Horizontal wedge wings only beveled on the upper surface so the splits are not forced down into the out feed table. (Don't put the little vertical tabs at the end of the horizontal wings, but if you do, only on the upper surface).

Tongue on the out-feed table end or on the cylinder base end. This is a question you might want a poll on. There are advantages to both.
- If the splits are going towards the towing vehicle, hitch under the out feed table area, it can make it easier to fill the towing vehicle.
- If you will be splitting into a pile or onto trailers/multiple vehicles, then having the hitch under the cylinder base area would work better.
(These are assuming you want to be able to leave the splitter hooked up to the towing vehicle.)

Hope as you plan future models, you will consider these suggestions.

Sadly, as a percentage, the "better informed" is a small group. A splitter must be sold based on price and feature points. In that market the DHT line is near the top based on my window shopping. Vast majority of consumers will see it the same way I'm sure.

That tracked carrier looks like a dandy. I've been needing something like that for years, but making do with other options because I didn't want to import one from Europe and the used Hondas are pricey and beat to heck. Been planning to build one, but other projects have always come first.

Mr. HE:cool:

You can always do like I did, and get a 3 point splitter, it can be low medium or high!

standard.jpg

Just move the 3 point to get it where you want it!

SR
I'm reporting you for excessive taunting.

I know you guys get tired of these suggestions, but speaking from experience, if my Speeco had the filter and pump mounted where yours is. I'd a knocked that off a long time ago. My engine is on that side and I have had several pieces of wood fall against it. It's a common happening when you're splitting , especially after a long time and you get tired and drop more chunks on it. Which solving the problem would be easy as welding a metal plate over the filter and hoses.

A 17.5 gpm 2 stage pump would be a good match for a 4" cylinder, 9 sec, but with a 5" cylinder the cycle time is 13 sec. Most of us would not be happy with that wait. A 22 gpm = 10 sec, closer, 28 gpm = 8 sec. This is what we want!

Producing what everyone else is doing will not give you a real nitch in the splitter market. Most of us are willing to pay the difference in the price of the pump for the improvement in speed. Remember you are not just competing with the hydraulic splitters but also with the inertia splitters like the Super Splitter which has a cycle time of 4 sec. The inertia splitters cost twice what your "22" ton unit does but folks are buying them because the increased productivity pays for the difference.

Lots of great suggests given in prior posts. Whether others are doing the same way, we the better informed want the little extras to have better posture, decrease resistance/heat generation & better oil cooling.
- Taller work height
- Wedge at the end of the beam, not on the cylinder
- Out-feed tables which start at least 4" before the wedge so the wood is over it & will not be pushed into it. gaps to allow debris to fall through.
- Use sweep elbow vs hard 90 degree fittings & no lines smaller than what comes off the pump
- Larger reservoir
- Consider having an oil cooler option.
- Log lift
- Adjustable height wedge with quick change wedge options
- Horizontal wedge wings only beveled on the upper surface so the splits are not forced down into the out feed table. (Don't put the little vertical tabs at the end of the horizontal wings, but if you do, only on the upper surface).

Tongue on the out-feed table end or on the cylinder base end. This is a question you might want a poll on. There are advantages to both.
- If the splits are going towards the towing vehicle, hitch under the out feed table area, it can make it easier to fill the towing vehicle.
- If you will be splitting into a pile or onto trailers/multiple vehicles, then having the hitch under the cylinder base area would work better.
(These are assuming you want to be able to leave the splitter hooked up to the towing vehicle.)

Hope as you plan future models, you will consider these suggestions.
with all of that it would just be a timberwolf knockoff, selling in the same price range as a real timberwolf. they can make it "look" like a timberwolf for half the price, but they dont compare...
personally im not a huge fan of timberwolf splitters, (just dont like their setup) but i like thet thay are an ORIGINAL american made splitter (with the exception of very few parts) and not just some POS china COPY...

timberwolf and speeco's patent's must be up, now all of the copycat splitters will come out just like when all of the junk supersplit copys came out, which also dont compare to a real supersplit...
must be nice to make money off of someone elses hard work, nevermind the free R&D they get off this forum

with all of that it would just be a timberwolf knockoff, selling in the same price range as a real timberwolf. they can make it "look" like a timberwolf for half the price, but they dont compare...
personally im not a huge fan of timberwolf splitters, (just dont like their setup) but i like thet thay are an ORIGINAL american made splitter (with the exception of very few parts) and not just some POS china COPY...

timberwolf and speeco's patent's must be up, now all of the copycat splitters will come out just like when all of the junk supersplit copys came out, which also dont compare to a real supersplit...

Appreciate your reply, but our commercial units are 100% designed, sourced, welded, assembled here in CO. We do our best to bring the best product we can at a very reasonable price point. We have big box, dealer and commercial level customers. Each has very different wants and needs. Please read our reviews, or better yet try our product, before insinuating it is junk. Furthermore, you might want to check whose name is on the SpeeCo patents and ours.....they might be the same person. Lastly, as a sponsor of this very forum, we feel we are paying our fair share to solicit the opinion of customers who use these products heavily. Therefore we fail to see how we are taking advantage of "free R&D." Thanks in advance.

Appreciate your reply, but our commercial units are 100% designed, sourced, welded, assembled here in CO. We do our best to bring the best product we can at a very reasonable price point. We have big box, dealer and commercial level customers. Each has very different wants and needs. Please read our reviews before insinuating our product is junk. Furthermore, you might want to check whose name is on the SpeeCo patents and ours.....they might be the same person. Thanks in advance.
100% designed "like" a Timberwolf?
may be the same owner on the patent but who was named inventor???? or was SpeeCo bought out and DHT means SpeeCo in chinese?
last question, what size cylinder will this splitter be running?

100% designed "like" a Timberwolf?
may be the same owner on the patent but who was named inventor???? or was SpeeCo bought out and DHT means SpeeCo in chinese?
last question, what size cylinder will this splitter be running?

Nathon,
No body wins an argument on the internet, this much we know. I am sure you can figure out the patent answers. As for our commercial design we will start another thread to solicit the opinion of the forum. It will be a bit of a crowd sourced design experiment. With respect to your opinions, and where/how you spend your money that is all up to you. We respectfully ask that you keep your contributions to threads about our products positive unless you have had a negative experience after purchasing one of our products. We feel this is fair.

Appreciate your reply, but our commercial units are 100% designed, sourced, welded, assembled here in CO. We do our best to bring the best product we can at a very reasonable price point. We have big box, dealer and commercial level customers. Each has very different wants and needs. Please read our reviews, or better yet try our product, before insinuating it is junk. Furthermore, you might want to check whose name is on the SpeeCo patents and ours.....they might be the same person. Lastly, as a sponsor of this very forum, we feel we are paying our fair share to solicit the opinion of customers who use these products heavily. Therefore we fail to see how we are taking advantage of "free R&D." Thanks in advance.
as a sponsor you pay for advertisment in the way of your link at the top of the page. out of all of the sponsors you're the ONLY one ive seen with an account asking for ideas, but atleast you admit to it...i guess.
ive seen other sponsors with accounts and they only post to inform people about upcoming products, thus advertisment...

if DHT put out innovative or atleast products of their own design AKA Original, i would respect that regardless of where it was made, but i have no respect for "copycats" that have no ideas of their own!
i guess most people are just too lazy to be original?!?!?!

Just because there could be similar features, does not mean it would be a copy. Competition vs a monopoly is what causes ideas to improve & helps to keep prices down.

Hopefully you noted in my post I was encouraging DHT to be different & to develop a nitch of their own.

If you look at my avatar/file attached, you will see the splitter I built before I became involved in any of the forums. The only exposure to hydraulic splitters at that time was the basic horizontal/vertical splitters sold at box stores.

If you want to see how my splitter evolved, you can read the attached PDF.

My splitter has many features similar to a "Timber Wolf" but there is also a lot of differences.
- Designed to split towards the towing vehicle
- Setup to pull a trailer behind it
- Oil cooler
- Extra valve with quick disconnect to allow it to be use as an portable hydraulic unit.
- Storage box
- Out-feed tables are tapered & fold up for transport.
- Coupler is removable & a pintle eye can be used in it's place
- Has a hydraulic "landing gear" for a jack

It is obvious I did not "copy" Timber Wolf's design.

Is there blatant theft of ideas? Yes. However, to build a similar item with notable changes/different options is how ideas are refined. If members are offering suggestions of features they would like to see on a product, isn't that part of what a forum is about, sharing ideas? When I put forth a thought on something I plant to do or build, I am expecting suggestions: - Ways to improve, refinements, or potential problems.

DHT came to this site as a sponsor. If I were a sponsor I would expect to be able to introduce my product / services & anticipate feedback. This is what they did, & feed back is what we as members are providing. It is their choice to accept & incorporate the suggestions/ideas.

Attachments

• 4 Phases of Oliver1655's Wood Splitter Build.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 24
I could be wrong but I remember seeing somewhere that DHT builds Speeco splitters, or supplies them with the parts?

What we believe is being debated here is the significant, and often confused, difference between invention and innovation. We do not claim to be inventors. We did not invent the log splitter, much like Henry Ford did not invent the automobile. What we do is provide a better product at a better price, just like Mr. Ford. That is innovation. Bringing once financially unobtainable products to those who could not purchase a similar competitive product.

as a sponsor you pay for advertisment in the way of your link at the top of the page. out of all of the sponsors you're the ONLY one ive seen with an account asking for ideas, but atleast you admit to it...i guess.
ive seen other sponsors with accounts and they only post to inform people about upcoming products, thus advertisment...

if DHT put out innovative or atleast products of their own design AKA Original, i would respect that regardless of where it was made, but i have no respect for "copycats" that have no ideas of their own!

What kind of truck do you drive? Who did they copy? What kind of shoes do you wear? What are they a copy of? Maybe your bed sheets are a totally original idea that you made yourself or had tailored as a one off product?

The point is you are trying to apply a standard to DHT that no other product is held to. Timberwolf is not an original product or design, they copied others and use off the shelf parts that dozens of other manufacturers use.

If you don't like it DHT, don't buy it. The only influence you have is your dollar.

Appreciate your reply, but our commercial units are 100% designed, sourced, welded, assembled here in CO. We do our best to bring the best product we can at a very reasonable price point. We have big box, dealer and commercial level customers. Each has very different wants and needs. Please read our
reviews, or better yet try our product, before insinuating it is junk. Furthermore, you might want to check whose name is on the SpeeCo patents and ours.....they might be the same person. Lastly, as a sponsor of this very forum, we feel we are paying our fair share to solicit the opinion of customers who use these products heavily. Therefore we fail to see how we are taking advantage of "free R&D." Thanks in advance.
Your evasiveness to my initial inquiry leads me, and I am sure others to believe that your a "snakeoil" salesman. And perhaps your not bright enough to realize marketing your "product" as a copy of a Timberwolf is not impressive to most if not all people. What it does do, is tell people that you lack core values and principles.
What we believe is being debated here is the significant, and often confused, difference between invention and innovation. We do not claim to be inventors. We did not invent the log splitter, much like Henry Ford did not invent the automobile. What we do is provide a better product at a better price, just like Mr. Ford. That is innovation. Bringing once financially unobtainable products to those who could not purchase a similar competitive product.
Dude.....you are just another "SnakeOil" salesman.....thats it.....nothing more. So please don't paint yourself in the likings of Henry Ford. . . You need to step back from that crack pipe. . .as it appears the jury is out on you.

What kind of truck do you drive? Who did they copy? What kind of shoes do you wear? What are they a copy of? Maybe your bed sheets are a totally original idea that you made yourself or had tailored as a one off product?

The point is you are trying to apply a standard to DHT that no other product is held to. Timberwolf is not an original product or design, they copied others and use off the shelf parts that dozens of other manufacturers use.

If you don't like it DHT, don't buy it. The only influence you have is your dollar.

comparing sheets and shoes to a splitter:dizzy:
i wear Chippewa's made in USA, likely influenced by Red Wings... :buttkick:

theres a difference between functioning the same and being the same, a timberwolf is original, they manufacture the splitter, but they INCORPORATE off the shelf parts since they are a splitter manufacturer, not an engine, or hydraulics manufacturer, they may have options that function the same as others but they are not the same.

if a DHT and a SpeeCO we painted an identical color with no labels, would you not think they we made by the same manufacturer? they are nearly identical...
if i parked my dodge next to your ford, both same color with all brand info removed, does that make them the same truck because they both have 4 wheels and a bed? no! theres MANY differences between the two... not just which brand chonda engine it has, or how tall the foot plate is, or the damn color.

any way my whole point is if your're going to manufactur something "new" why in the hell would you not make it obviously different? if you say you make the "best in value" why copy an exsiting design?

look at DR's version of the super split, best ****ing thing since sliced bread right? look how that POS turned out, all because they "copied" someone elses design without putting any effort into the details...

just so everyone's clear just what are you comparing your products to? better than what?

if a DHT and a SpeeCO we painted an identical color with no labels, would you not think they we made by the same manufacturer? they are nearly identical...

Excellent point thank you for noticing. Though the DHT version has more features. Larger pump (13gpm vs 11), larger coupler (l090 vs 75), bigger wedge (8" vs 7), bigger foot plate, removable stripper plates, in tank suction screen, flip down stand, log catcher included, filtered tank cap, etc. So in addition to having far more features, it is generally available at a lower price.

just so everyone's clear just what are you comparing your products to? better than what?

We don't believe it is good karma to call out out competition on an internet forum of all places. You will increasingly see more and more of our products displace our competition like they have at Menards and other retail channels. You really don't have to buy our product if you think there is something better out there for you. Everyone has their own wants and needs. We are not all things to all people. It's not our goal.

So what's the problem with asking for ideas? I'd rather spend my money on a product that is built to specs based on what the buying public (me) asks for rather than a product that is built to mainly just a price point...
I agree with Oliver1655, adding a few design features that are not available on big box store splitters would make this unit a stand out choice for a person shopping for a splitter below the commercial grade category.

Latest posts

Back