new to me splitter....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Springy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got this brute home. Just an old homemade splitter. Gonna see if I can't fix her up.

Attachments

• 20151013_135930.jpg
    20151013_135930.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 175
Got it running this afternoon. It has about 40 inches of stroke. Here are a few more pictures.

Attachments

• 20151013_140752.jpg
    20151013_140752.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 116
  • 20151013_140743.jpg
    20151013_140743.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
2 cylinder air cooled. 16 cubic inches. Made in 1965. I'm using this as a learning expierence. Cylinder is off of an old back hoe. Not sure on the hp spec. Still looking.

Not sure about the inline thing. Good to know the hp test higher than 3hp. This is all a learning expierence for me. The plate says continental motor corp.

The old Teledyne. Yep, they will do 7 some HP. military de rated the things a bunch. I have a couple of them on 1.5KW generators. Loud but reasonably dependable.

Now the bad part. The float in the carburetor swells in gasohol. Swells until it hangs up on bowl. Resulting in either stuck closed or stuck open. Big Pain in the ...
What to do? replacement floats are unavailable. If you run the engine dry every time, it helps. You can file the leading edge off the float It gets you another week or two of operation before it sticks. Removing the carburetor isn't terribly difficult, the lower nut on the carb is a finger special. Un-clip the governor with a little screwdriver. The ignition is a little "odd". two sets points, two magneto's shielded plugs. Related to old motorcycles... a interesting one to setup...

http://www.saturnsurplus.com/

as for the rest of the splitter... looks like plenty of beef, and plenty of stroke. might be a little low for me...

That's very informative. Thanks. I may just put a newish motor on it.
Another problem I've run into is it doesn't seem to build enough pressure to split.....I'm thinking not enough hydraulic fluid in the system. Is that possible?or the pump?

The pump is the least likely cause of low force. The most common causes are low relief setting on control valve, broken spring in control valve relief, worn seals in cylinder, and pump sucking air.

Back