pump up grade from 11 gpm to 16 gpm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jatam

Reaction score
Hi all, first to say great site, very informed, experienced folks here. I have a homemade splitter for about 30 plus years . 17 hp b&s, 2 1/2" x 28" ram, a haldex 11gpm pump craped out, got a 16gpm rugged made [ killed me to go chona] but the bucks/yen you know the song. the issue is the 11gpm pump had 3/4 inlet, new one has 1" will I still be good just to use a 3/4 to 1" fitting at pump or am I going to have to change 1" hose from tank which would be harder cause my tank is a 1/4 keg beer now hydro oil tank [ which kinda looks unique ] with 3/4" outlet fitting welded on of course. kinda having bad visions of pump smelling like a burnt wok from not getting enuff hydro oil. Thanks All, Joe with 1/4 keg splitter.

Just get the appropriate fittings (in brass from your local hardware store) and plumb it up. No worry, hydraulics operate on delivered pressure not total flow. Total rated flow only counts (and is listed) when there is no resistance to the fluid. As the resistance increases, the flow drops and don't use crap cheapo hydraulic fluid and if it's at all milky, change it and I would hope you have an inline low pressure side spin on filter on it with at the most a 10 micron rating.

sounds good, I do have the spin on filter and changed / flushed system out added Valvoline hydro fluid and Lucas conditioner , the unit was built by a knowledgeable machinist . Gonna still keep the Haldex [good ole US iron] pump can't seem to see it go way of scrap, try and see if I find a rebuild kit cant see nothing wrong other than the pin on the detent is slightly mushroomed were it contacted the ball. only don't have model#/tag on it. Curious to see how the Rugged Made works/last. Again thanks for the valuable info Sidecarflip this was my first post and respond. funny have to mention I do have a '69 Triumph t-120 with a side car. JAT.

Hi all, first to say great site, very informed, experienced folks here. I have a homemade splitter for about 30 plus years . 17 hp b&s, 2 1/2" x 28" ram, a haldex 11gpm pump craped out, got a 16gpm rugged made [ killed me to go chona] but the bucks/yen you know the song. the issue is the 11gpm pump had 3/4 inlet, new one has 1" will I still be good just to use a 3/4 to 1" fitting at pump or am I going to have to change 1" hose from tank which would be harder cause my tank is a 1/4 keg beer now hydro oil tank [ which kinda looks unique ] with 3/4" outlet fitting welded on of course. kinda having bad visions of pump smelling like a burnt wok from not getting enuff hydro oil. Thanks All, Joe with 1/4 keg splitter.
The recommended maximum oil velocity for the suction lines in a hydraulic system is 4 feet/sec. Eleven GPM thru a 3/4" hose is 8.6 FPM. Sixteen GPM bumps that to 11.6 FPM. The 4 GPM recommendation is conservative and applicable to systems under harsher duty than your splitter, but best to go into this with your eyes open. If the pump is very unhappy with the inlet conditions it may complain by making alarming noises. Or it may last another 30 years. A vacuum gauge installed as close as possible to the pump inlet would give you some indication of how concerned you should be.

funny have to mention I do have a '69 Triumph t-120 with a side car. JAT.
I own a few bikes actually, the Motorvation sidecar I had custom built and went out to Sibley, Iowa and picked up is on a Centennial model new Triumph that was built in England, not Taiwan and I also own a Rocket 3, 2300 Classic bagger that has all the upgrades done to it including removal of the speed limiter by Marne, Triumph (I haul classic need to be restored bikes for them) during the summer months. The owner buys them and restores and sells then worldwide. I also own a KLR 650 ADV bike for local errands and a pristine 67 Norton P11 A 750 high pipe scrambler with the Metisse oil in frame kick start twin that you'd better have the kickstart lever past TDC or it will break your ankle. It's a show bike only and gets run around here only. I never take it anywhere except in the trailer to shows. I'm anal about people fingering it. Same with the Triumph 750 twin with the sidecar. people just for some reason just cannot keep their hands off it despite the signage on them that says don't even think about touching them...

Just get the appropriate fittings (in brass from your local hardware store) and plumb it up. No worry, hydraulics operate on delivered pressure not total flow. Total rated flow only counts (and is listed) when there is no resistance to the fluid. As the resistance increases, the flow drops and don't use crap cheapo hydraulic fluid and if it's at all milky, change it and I would hope you have an inline low pressure side spin on filter on it with at the most a 10 micron rating.
I am hopeing I read your post wrong and you are not suggesting to use brass fitting on a high pressure hydraulic system.. Not a good ideal.

To address the pump size disparity, start by attaching a 3/4" to 1" adapter fitting at the pump inlet, facilitating connection with your existing hose. Following this, assess the hydraulic system for any potential flow restrictions that might impede performance. Monitor the pump closely for signs of overheating or unusual noises, indicating insufficient hydraulic oil supply. If necessary, consider upgrading to a 1" hose to alleviate any restrictions, although this may be challenging given the unique tank setup. Finally, ensure regular maintenance checks on fluid levels and system components to prevent any issues from arising.

Technically need 16 minimum for a 28 gpm pump, but everything else in the system will need major work so it works right together. 3/4" pressure lines minimum, usually requires replacing the control valve, dump valve would be a good idea, larger hydro tank, larger filter...... cost vs reward. 11 to 16 is much more manageable without dumping loads of time/money into it.

Latest posts

Back