non ethanol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david thompson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
fuel question.Will leaded gas harm my chainsaws?I have an old 041 FB and a 066 Stihls,,,,,also will it harm my Honda motor on my log splitter also stihl weedwacker non ethanol I just found this on the site "Pure-gas.org has ethanol free stations listed by state....nothing listed for Delaware. Have you tried small airports? Tell them it's for "off road use only" and they should help you out. Marinas often have it too.

Non-ethanol gasoline is NOT leaded gasoline.

Ethanol free will be better for your small engines.

First station here just started carrying it (or at least I saw it for the first time) this summer. The funny thing....it is owned/operated by a farmer's co-op! So they push for policy cramming ethanol through our engines, but offer the better alternative. Glad to have it in the area, so I won't mention that to them ;)

Since I have been fooled before, I now call to make sure a gas station listed on PureGas.Org, still has no alcohol gas. I have submitted corrections to that website when the info was no longer correct.

Worst case is there are ways of removing ethanol from gas. Northern Woodlands had an article a while back but I cant find which issue. The trick is to add water to the gas. The alcohol absorbs the water and the gas floats on top of the mix. The water/alcohol is then drained off the bottom. Just realize that ethanol is an octane booster so the resultant gas could be lower octane.

Most of you may already know about this possible problem, but I've made the mistake of going to a station that is supposed to have no-alcohol gas and finding that they have one hose to dispense 3 different grades of gas, the no-alcohol grade being one of the 3.
I'm not sure how much gasohol the dispensing hose can hold before no-alcohol gas starts coming out the nozzle, but even if it's only 1/2 gallon or less, that is going to be a significant amount in a 2 1/2 or 5 gallon can.
If you have a gas engine truck or another gas can with you, no problem. Without planning or thinking ahead, I once went driving a diesel truck and no extra gas can.
I may be overly concerned about the alcohol %, but if I'm paying for no-alcohol gas, I don't want any in there.
There are test kits available for purchase, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

My local station that sells 91 non-E has all three grades of fuel on the same nozzle. I buy it for my snowmobiles and chainsaws. I always pump a gallon to a gallon in a half into my vehicle before I add it to my cans. The station's that offer non-E are Fast Track. There is one station that offers 89 non-E and it has its own nozzle. The weird part is it's more expensive than the 91 non-E.

53b6637bce5ca7605b7ab534979ab8fe.jpg
9d9e6b2c9ed4cbfc96011f8d7377b244.jpg
54f556f4ec22e4bf1cc0dab3b0501862.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need a fancy test kit if you want to check and see if there is ethanol in the fuel - just a water bottle. Fill it about 1/3 full of fuel, and add some water - maybe 1/2 cup or so. Set it on a table and draw a line on the bottle where the water/fuel line is. Cap it and shake it for 20 seconds or so. Recheck for the line. If the water/fuel line has changed, then there is ethanol in the fuel.

For those poor souls like me who don't live anywhere near E-free gas, here's a cheap way to remove it.

80% of the saws we repair for scorched pistons are the result of poor fuel/oil, so we started testing customers fuel and found most had ethanol in the tank despite saying they only purchase non, we have found that some stations advertising non ethanol when tested do contain ethanol. If you need an ethanol tester this simple kit will do the job http://www.sawagain.com/ethanol-fuel-tester/

Back