Moved from Stihl to Echo 7310, so far, so good

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally tried the Echo out on a dead tree near one of our drainage swales. I had cut up some large dead fall with it earlier.

I was starting to think this saw is a rain making totem, because while a lot of the country has been in drought, ever since I bought this thing we have rarely had 48 hours without rain.

Tree itself not too much of a challenge for the saw, but it was close to a rocky swale, and at the toe of one steep slope and start of another.
Also had some bore or ant damage in the trunk, though a lot of it was undamaged. Been dead a while. I think ash, but did not see the d shaped telltale ash borer holes.

Felled it without pancaking myself, cut some nice hinges (had a divided trunk) and one trunk fell one direction, the other seemed like it could go either way, but it fell in direction I cut the hinge.

No bogging in cut. Flinging chips as it should b/c basically brand new. Seems fairly easy on gas for saw of this cc. This tree might have been 20" tops on larger trunk. Not a giant.

As to power, I'd say it still seems a tiny scooch less than the 460 Magnum it replaced. A good bit more than the MS 290 I still own.
On about the second full tank or third, if you count what the dealer put in.

Pleased with it so far. I'd have to say I might prefer the more recessed choke lever on the Stihl to the pull out version on the Echo.
I don't mind the on/off toggle, though I've heard others don't like it.

Finally tried the Echo out on a dead tree near one of our drainage swales. I had cut up some large dead fall with it earlier.

I was starting to think this saw is a rain making totem, because while a lot of the country has been in drought, ever since I bought this thing we have rarely had 48 hours without rain.

Tree itself not too much of a challenge for the saw, but it was close to a rocky swale, and at the toe of one steep slope and start of another.
Also had some bore or ant damage in the trunk, though a lot of it was undamaged. Been dead a while. I think ash, but did not see the d shaped telltale ash borer holes.

Felled it without pancaking myself, cut some nice hinges (had a divided trunk) and one trunk fell one direction, the other seemed like it could go either way, but it fell in direction I cut the hinge.

No bogging in cut. Flinging chips as it should b/c basically brand new. Seems fairly easy on gas for saw of this cc. This tree might have been 20" tops on larger trunk. Not a giant.

As to power, I'd say it still seems a tiny scooch less than the 460 Magnum it replaced. A good bit more than the MS 290 I still own.
On about the second full tank or third, if you count what the dealer put in.

Pleased with it so far. I'd have to say I might prefer the more recessed choke lever on the Stihl to the pull out version on the Echo.
I don't mind the on/off toggle, though I've heard others don't like it.
Guy that is a great saw I have one as a back up for when my 592xp go’s down witch it has multiple times I had one before it I ran as my main saw before the 592’s came on the market and they are tanks un beatable extremely rugged the other day I used it all day and I cut and trimmed large saw log trees 49 in all on one gallon of gas they are very fuel efficient what a great saw.

Picked up Echo 7310, replacing a Stihl MS 460 that was about 13 years old, but met with unfortunate user error accident.
Let's just say multi tasking on a steep hill with a bushhog was involved. Never trust a Chinese made bungee cord.

The Stihl was my previous favorite saw, but not without occasional issues.
When it had a sharp chain, it would cut through ash or oak like butter. Did not cut a lot of evergreen woods, but would have done even better on those, I expect.
But, the Stihl had a couple of minor issues. One, if you ran it until hot, then it ran out of gas, or you just needed a break, you had to be really careful starting it hot, or it would flood. The decompression feature made it easier to start, but sometimes it would disengage after you had given it a good crank or two, and if you did not double check, you'd give your pulling arm a good jolt. Finally, it was a little more prone to throw its chain than some saws I've used, including Stihl MS 290; old Craftsman, rental Husky, etc. So now, to replace it, looking at MS 462 or the 500. Both well over $1200 where I'm at. Latter probably bumping $1500 or more, out the door.
Ouch. The MS 460 was about $900 or so out the door.

The 462, if one goes by strict specs, is about 1/10 HP lower than the old 460. Close, but who wants less HP at more money?

The 500 sounds like a nice saw, but that's a lot of dough. Also sounds like brand new technology on the fuel Injection part. Guess they've used it on concrete saws, but still...

Finally, had a bad experience with Stihl dealer on a backpack blower that was maybe 2 days past its 2 year warranty. I'd bought MS 290 chainsaw, FS 85 trimmer, couple Honda mowers and a Deere from these folks over the years. The blower lost power and would not hold idle. I changed the plug and the spark arrestor myself.
No change. Took it in, expected, frankly, a warranty fix. They charged me $140 to adjust valves (yes, valves). I did not pitch a fit, but told the guy at the counter that's a good argument for Echo going forward. If he thought I was just venting, he didn't know me.

So, when replacing the MS 460, I went with Echo 7310.

Not a lot of mileage on it yet, but first impressions:
1) It starts easy, even hot.
2) Chain seems better than I expected. I kinda favor Stihl chains over most others, but the one on the Echo is decent so far. Makes the chips fly.
3) Good power. Echo doesn't make it easy to find HP specs. But in use, the saw feels very, very close to the MS 460. I've heard Echos take several tankfuls to develop full power. But out of the box, it is cutting very well.
4) Got the 24" blade. I think it could pull a 28", but this is a good, handy length for the trees on my property.
5) Weight--it's certainly no lighter than the 460. But not bad for a saw in the 70-80 cc class.
6) I tend to keep my saws stock. Had planned to one day have the 460 modded, before the bush hog incident. But I have seen reports that the 7310 can respond well to mods. Maybe someday...
7) Also, once engaged, the decompression seems to stay decompressed until you start it. As noted, with the Stihl 460, sometimes that feature would bite you if you did not double check, say you pulled it on choke, it barked once, indicating ready to flip off full choke. Sometimes I'd do that, give it a good rip, and discover the decompression button had disengaged. So far, Echo's version seems better.
8) Pure gas tough to come by around here. Stihl dealer claimed the valve issues on the blower resulted from using ethanol. Um, OK... Try to find a pure gas source these days. They exist, but they are few and far between. If you are making high end equipment in this day and time, you better be making it somewhat ethanol compatible. Otherwise, you better make something else. I use top tier premium. Not 87 or 89, ever; premium. Echo dealer said that is just fine, and recommended their red armor mix. . Guess we'll see.

I don't think Echo is really knocking on the door of Stihl or Husky yet. Around here, far. far more Stihl dealers. Of course, if they give their customers bad warranty experiences, they may lose a few, like me. I don't bash the basic Stihl product, I've had and still have several. But gone to Echo for my newest trimmer and last two chainsaws. Echo stuff is really nice out of the box. We'll see how it holds up, long term. I have 9 months on a 2511T, which is super nice and handy, just not anything like a felling saw unless you are felling Christmas trees.

I mainly maintain my own property, 59+ acres, maybe 5-7 acres wooded, all hardwoods. With exception of the backpack blower, the Stihl stuff served me well.
But trying Echo now, and so far, happy with it.
I have several Echo trimmers, fitted one w/ a blade, and an Echo blower. I also have a Stihl blower and I will reach for the Echo instead (easier starting adjustable throttle lock, etc.). The trimmers have all been powerful and easy to start. Now I'm considering my first new saw purchase (have about 10+ saws from Stihl 026 to MS660 and several older Poulan 3400 and 3700). Based on the good experiences with the Echo trimmers and blower, I am dithering between the 7310 and 620 Echo's with a longish bar as my first new purchase, as I primarily heat with wood and have 35+ wooded acres. I think you will be impressed with Echo products, if their trimmers/blowers are any indication.

Congrats on the new saw, I hear echo saws are very fuel efficient even after adjusting them from being too lean from the factory. I wouldn't worry about comparing it to a stihl, only that it does what you need it to and is reliable. Toss a new oem piston in the 290 and it will go another 20 years.

The echo 7310 is a well built 73cc saw. It has 3 transfer ports that are staggered.... also a large squish margin, over 40% gain when modded right. Very streamline design, aggressive dawgs. Nice air filter... the piston on these is super thick.... for the price and echos well known durability it's worth it as a medium size saw. I wouldn't run a bar over 28 on it.. I got mine with a 32 and had it modded. It will pull it but not very fast...

Yep, it's a cost to repair issue, rather than a quality issue. I don't necessarily blame the dealers/shops for their labor rates...people happily pay a lot more than that for an auto dealer service tech to plug a computer into their car.

I've mostly switched to Stihls in recent years. I really like them, but they're part of the problem with their pricing on OEM parts. I'm probably going to get flamed by the OEM-nazis, but they aren't worth rebuilding with OEM parts...even someone like me who does their own work. Hence why I have a couple of older Stihls with aftermarket top ends.
I have to agree, especially recently the priced of OEM Stihl parts have gone through the roof. These prices are two to three times the price of any aftermarket part that you can find. Then they add a delivery cost to the dealer on top of that, a cost that you have to pay. It's absurd.

Picked up Echo 7310, replacing a Stihl MS 460 that was about 13 years old, but met with unfortunate user error accident.
Let's just say multi tasking on a steep hill with a bushhog was involved. Never trust a Chinese made bungee cord.

The Stihl was my previous favorite saw, but not without occasional issues.
When it had a sharp chain, it would cut through ash or oak like butter. Did not cut a lot of evergreen woods, but would have done even better on those, I expect.
But, the Stihl had a couple of minor issues. One, if you ran it until hot, then it ran out of gas, or you just needed a break, you had to be really careful starting it hot, or it would flood. The decompression feature made it easier to start, but sometimes it would disengage after you had given it a good crank or two, and if you did not double check, you'd give your pulling arm a good jolt. Finally, it was a little more prone to throw its chain than some saws I've used, including Stihl MS 290; old Craftsman, rental Husky, etc. So now, to replace it, looking at MS 462 or the 500. Both well over $1200 where I'm at. Latter probably bumping $1500 or more, out the door.
Ouch. The MS 460 was about $900 or so out the door.

The 462, if one goes by strict specs, is about 1/10 HP lower than the old 460. Close, but who wants less HP at more money?

The 500 sounds like a nice saw, but that's a lot of dough. Also sounds like brand new technology on the fuel Injection part. Guess they've used it on concrete saws, but still...

Finally, had a bad experience with Stihl dealer on a backpack blower that was maybe 2 days past its 2 year warranty. I'd bought MS 290 chainsaw, FS 85 trimmer, couple Honda mowers and a Deere from these folks over the years. The blower lost power and would not hold idle. I changed the plug and the spark arrestor myself.
No change. Took it in, expected, frankly, a warranty fix. They charged me $140 to adjust valves (yes, valves). I did not pitch a fit, but told the guy at the counter that's a good argument for Echo going forward. If he thought I was just venting, he didn't know me.

So, when replacing the MS 460, I went with Echo 7310.

Not a lot of mileage on it yet, but first impressions:
1) It starts easy, even hot.
2) Chain seems better than I expected. I kinda favor Stihl chains over most others, but the one on the Echo is decent so far. Makes the chips fly.
3) Good power. Echo doesn't make it easy to find HP specs. But in use, the saw feels very, very close to the MS 460. I've heard Echos take several tankfuls to develop full power. But out of the box, it is cutting very well.
4) Got the 24" blade. I think it could pull a 28", but this is a good, handy length for the trees on my property.
5) Weight--it's certainly no lighter than the 460. But not bad for a saw in the 70-80 cc class.
6) I tend to keep my saws stock. Had planned to one day have the 460 modded, before the bush hog incident. But I have seen reports that the 7310 can respond well to mods. Maybe someday...
7) Also, once engaged, the decompression seems to stay decompressed until you start it. As noted, with the Stihl 460, sometimes that feature would bite you if you did not double check, say you pulled it on choke, it barked once, indicating ready to flip off full choke. Sometimes I'd do that, give it a good rip, and discover the decompression button had disengaged. So far, Echo's version seems better.
8) Pure gas tough to come by around here. Stihl dealer claimed the valve issues on the blower resulted from using ethanol. Um, OK... Try to find a pure gas source these days. They exist, but they are few and far between. If you are making high end equipment in this day and time, you better be making it somewhat ethanol compatible. Otherwise, you better make something else. I use top tier premium. Not 87 or 89, ever; premium. Echo dealer said that is just fine, and recommended their red armor mix. . Guess we'll see.

I don't think Echo is really knocking on the door of Stihl or Husky yet. Around here, far. far more Stihl dealers. Of course, if they give their customers bad warranty experiences, they may lose a few, like me. I don't bash the basic Stihl product, I've had and still have several. But gone to Echo for my newest trimmer and last two chainsaws. Echo stuff is really nice out of the box. We'll see how it holds up, long term. I have 9 months on a 2511T, which is super nice and handy, just not anything like a felling saw unless you are felling Christmas trees.

I mainly maintain my own property, 59+ acres, maybe 5-7 acres wooded, all hardwoods. With exception of the backpack blower, the Stihl stuff served me well.
But trying Echo now, and so far, happy with it.
Wow ! Now those are some good campfire stories.
Enjoyed reading, thankx for taking the time to blog all that.

The echo 7310 is a well built 73cc saw. It has 3 transfer ports that are staggered.... also a large squish margin, over 40% gain when modded right. Very streamline design, aggressive dawgs. Nice air filter... the piston on these is super thick.... for the price and echos well known durability it's worth it as a medium size saw. I wouldn't run a bar over 28 on it.. I got mine with a 32 and had it modded. It will pull it but not very fast...
Excellent saw, I love mine. Watched "Chickkanic" babe on YouTube do a gig with that and had to buy one...purrrr's like a kitten at idle, loaded with power.

However, no matter how solid they made it back in the 60's and 70's, all the rubber parts desintigrate in time and if they don't make new parts - that's living at borrowed time.
I'm surprised noone is in the business of 3d printing the out of production rubber parts. Feels every kid with a 3d printer is looking for a way to turn it into a business, and high temp chemical resistant elastic material exists for them.

I'm surprised noone is in the business of 3d printing the out of production rubber parts. Feels every kid with a 3d printer is looking for a way to turn it into a business, and high temp chemical resistant elastic material exists for them.
3d printing takes forever, then add in the programming, testing, small batches at high cost. Hardly worth it.

Partly correct.

Most of these parts would be really really easy to model (a lot could be 2d scans or tracings that are "extruded" 3d (one click to add depth to a 2d model).

Production time? Would vary , but for the most part relatively low for anything flat well under an hr for smaller parts... large hollow objects, yes, would be much less practical. Obviously not a primary source of income for a home printer... but a few bucks here and there to sweeten up the hobby... honestly, I don't see a good reason it wouldn't work. Spend a few minutes modeling the part the first time, save it for future use. Yeah pulling the parts, cleaning them, sorting out the kinks the first few prints would make it unprofitable... but for parts that are literally unobtainable for machines which would have high demand if you could get these parts... there seems like there would be potential market and pricing power to justify the effort getting it going... really just need to find someone whose hobbies intersect at 3d printing and getting old machines running.

I have quite a few saws that are obsolete, and if we were to count other equipment I own a lot of old junk that time has passed by. All good in its day and better built then most of today's products. Having said that, one I get to the point when I know I can't get a part, or it costs more then the machines worth. It's just time to move on.

Excellent saw, I love mine. Watched "Chickkanic" babe on YouTube do a gig with that and had to buy one...purrrr's like a kitten at idle, loaded with power.
Im torn between a 7310 and a dolmar 7900. I have echo stuff and never an issue, easy starting and very good on fuel. I need a bigger saw.

I recently got to try the 7310 as the small tree company I work with part time purchased one. I will say so far so good I don’t think it compares to the 500i but while the 500 was getting some repairs it filled it’s shoes nicely! I personally own all echos 620,590, and 2 2511’s and have 0 complaints. The 620 was my first echo sold my ms 290 and 390 and Bought the 620 and couldn’t be happier

For long-term parts availability I’d go for the Echo.
Echo carries parts long term, but not as easy accessible online as for Stihl and Husqvarna.
The latter you get multiple parts availability online both OEM and aftermarket long after production life.
Dolmar is effectively killed by Makita and as I see it parts are already difficult to get if at all.
My beloved 5105 will be part of my lineup for as long as it lasts though, there is just nothing like it.

Latest posts

Back