Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie...If you want to swing them a little I've had good luck using a tapered hinge and a busted-off piece of the undercut on the go-to side. Don't use too big of a chunk, it doesn't take much. Gun the tree in the direction you want it to fall. Get your wedges in early and keep them driven tight but not so tight that they put too much pressure on the hinge. The bad part about a tapered hinge is that you can wedge-break them without meaning to. If the wedges stall out quit hitting them.
It sounds like those trees will be good ones to practice on.
I'll send you a PM this evening and explain this in a little more detail.
I'll try to get down there before the GTG but we're getting the boat ready for crab season and that seems to be taking up all the free time.

Charlie...If you want to swing them a little I've had good luck using a tapered hinge and a busted-off piece of the undercut on the go-to side. Don't use too big of a chunk, it doesn't take much. Gun the tree in the direction you want it to fall. Get your wedges in early and keep them driven tight but not so tight that they put too much pressure on the hinge. The bad part about a tapered hinge is that you can wedge-break them without meaning to. If the wedges stall out quit hitting them.
It sounds like those trees will be good ones to practice on.
I'll send you a PM this evening and explain this in a little more detail.
I'll try to get down there before the GTG but we're getting the boat ready for crab season and that seems to be taking up all the free time.
You hit the nail on the head. I'd like to use these as learning opportunities. I know I can use a rope to get them where I want and can probably do it with wedges as well, but the approach Madhatte used at the last Bothe GTG or something similar is what I'd like to try to learn. Trying learn by reading is tough with all the different terms that get used.
Good luck with the crabbing. I had a gas crewing for my sister-in-law in Prince William Sound in the late 1970s.

slowp, the showers are on here. and for you boys and girls cutting and hiking in the P.O. i will override the quaters for the evening. free showers. or in the morning but it seems silly to get all clean before work. im thinking the same spot as far as the camping goes. does that work for everybody? agian, i will have more info soon after i meet with aaron

no we are all good on the reservations. just talked to sandy, we can either have the group camp or the horse stable area. if group camp is booked then we will go where we did last year.

Please remember that I screwed it up. It's a good trick but not always the right way to do it.
you still worring 'bout that madhatte? i saved the bbq that looks like a crushed tin can for you, its here, you forgot to take it and put it on your desk with the other mistakes youve made. lol.

you still worring 'bout that madhatte? i saved the bbq that looks like a crushed tin can for you, its here, you forgot to take it and put it on your desk with the other mistakes youve made. lol.

Not worrying so much as... err... curating the example I leave for others. Yeah, that's the ticket.

slowp, the showers are on here. and for you boys and girls cutting and hiking in the P.O. i will override the quaters for the evening. free showers. or in the morning but it seems silly to get all clean before work. im thinking the same spot as far as the camping goes. does that work for everybody? agian, i will have more info soon after i meet with aaron

Where we camped last time was great.

Patty you'd have to park the plastic airstream in the parking lot that services the group camp. I'm thinking the place you folks camped in last year would be the best way to go.

Patty you'd have to park the plastic airstream in the parking lot that services the group camp. I'm thinking the place you folks camped in last year would be the best way to go.

Ah, I was remembering correctly. I had walked around up in the group area spot and it seemed to be designed for tents and not many vehicles.

ok cool. the horse stable area it is. should be plenty of room. we have running water there, ill get a chem toilet again, maybe in a better spot. and the dayuse bathrooms are close enough. alia(my girlfriend) said she will help with some meals like last year. any suggestions? we did chili for lunch and guinness stew for dinner last year. im asking the restaurant that i work at about donating a keg for the weekend.....that may or may not be a good idea:)....... aaron or i will post on sun after a meeting here at the park with more details. see you all soon.

Back