Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DR. P. Proteus

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Lately I have been stealing my wife's under... I mean citronella oil and using it to start my woodstove.

I used a splash of #2 oil before I went with a cat stove. Now I can't anymore. Shouldn't need it anyways unless if your wood is wet and you're too lazy to split kindlen. Other times you just because, why not.

I used a splash of #2 oil before I went with a cat stove. Now I can't anymore. Shouldn't need it anyways unless if your wood is wet and you're too lazy to split kindlen. Other times you just because, why not.

Yeah, getting sick of chopping the kindlen and crunching up newpapers.

Here is my kindling. I never bothered to chop dedicated kindling. I toss in a ball of newspaper, arrange splits around and on top of newspaper ball. I blast it with the torch for a few minutes and thats enough to get the fire going. I dont want to mess with oil in the house.

487cbdb801f3b471856514ef8ebb0f6f.jpg

Usually end up with a lot of kindling scattered around the wood splitter. I just throw it in a box or tote, end of splitting season i have several boxes. Only needed early & late in the year , this time of year the stove burns 24/7.

Sick of crunching up newspapers???

Seriously... it's not hard or time consuming, especially compared to other woodburning related duties. There are other ways of starting fires besides oil. Used lint from clothes dryers (put it in empty toilet paper tubes), cottonballs, cardboard, wood shavings, etc.

We got rid of the fuel oil stove in our hunting cabin about ten years ago and went to propane. Started off with about twenty gallons left over from draining the tank and I think I have three gallons left. Use it for both indoor and outdoor fire lighting. Just a splash on the wood really helps things light quickly.

Once I run through the rest I'll be upgrading to charcoal lighter to eliminate the diesel smell.

Sick of crunching up newspapers???

Seriously... it's not hard or time consuming, especially compared to other woodburning related duties. There are other ways of starting fires besides oil. Used lint from clothes dryers (put it in empty toilet paper tubes), cottonballs, cardboard, wood shavings, etc.

Yeah, sick of it.

At first I just soaked the kinlin in the oil then brought it in. Now I am just dumping the oil right in the stove.

I keep a propane torch within arms reach of the stove and it works great and very economical to operate.

I've seen some interesting contraptions for soaking kindling in Kero. Kind of like big versions or comb sanitizer at barber shop or pasta storage with a lifter tray in the bottom. Advantages - low cost. Disadvantage - dripping stinky coal oil in the house or getting it onto your hands

Get some military surplus/camping Hexamine/Esbit tablets. They burn hot enough and long enough to boil a cup of water. Advantage - easy. Disadvantage - expense and you'll still probably need some kindling and scrap.
9565.jpg

I also just put some flat stock I have split when splitting to cover the grates. Lay some kindling (splitter scraps) on top and fire up the same type of torch as pictured above. Get the kindling started and come pack in a hour to lay more splits in the burning flat stock. Then unless we get a 60F heat wave or higher for more than 3 days just keep adding wood as needed. 7:00 AM 6:00PM and at 10:30PM to top it off for the night.

:D Al

I keep a propane torch within arms reach of the stove and it works great and very economical to operate.

I've seen some interesting contraptions for soaking kindling in Kero. Kind of like big versions or comb sanitizer at barber shop or pasta storage with a lifter tray in the bottom. Advantages - low cost. Disadvantage - dripping stinky coal oil in the house or getting it onto your hands

Get some military surplus/camping Hexamine/Esbit tablets. They burn hot enough and long enough to boil a cup of water. Advantage - easy. Disadvantage - expense and you'll still probably need some kindling and scrap.
9565.jpg

It seems a little crazy to store propane so close to the stove.

I suppose if you set the propane on top of a hot stove. But many tanks are stored under a grill a lot bigger to I might add, Not to mention day time temps in a hot summer day in a closed up work shop.

I keep a 30 gallon barrel in the basement, and keep it stocked with noodles. Next to that is a pile of newspapers. Next to that is a crate full of 'splitter turds' and dimensional lumber scraps. A handful of noodles, a couple pieces of wadded up newspaper, a few splitter turds, and a match. Off to the races.

I suppose if you set the propane on top of a hot stove. But many tanks are stored under a grill a lot bigger to I might add, Not to mention day time temps in a hot summer day in a closed up work shop.

That's true but the heat does not radiate down on a BBQ and look into how many BBQ fires there are a year.

One time these skewerels chewed up the hose on my BBQ, I didn't realize and the propane was going up my shorts when I was trying to light it.

I discovered a new way to make kindling, well new to me anyhow. I am doing some remodleing and had to rip some 2x4's on the tablesaw. Um, scraps look like good kindling wood. While I had the saw setup to rip, I just started running scraps thru the saw. Got a 5gal bucket of good dry fir. Took just a few minutes. Havent got to try the kindling out yet, its been 70 about everyday for a week now.

I discovered a new way to make kindling, well new to me anyhow. I am doing some remodleing and had to rip some 2x4's on the tablesaw. Um, scraps look like good kindling wood. While I had the saw setup to rip, I just started running scraps thru the saw. Got a 5gal bucket of good dry fir. Took just a few minutes. Havent got to try the kindling out yet, its been 70 about everyday for a week now.

I cross cut all the scrap lumber to the same length then split stacks of it on the splitter. We have about 20 5 gal buckets left which I give to my older client's who buy firewood.

Back